Optimal Run

Discuss general aspects of game play, such as quests, content, items etc.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Optimal Run

Unread post by jupider » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 pm

You all knew this would come up eventually. As much as I hate the "O" word (it's one of the reasons I left ToG) I would like to know what some of you feel is a good way to start out a run after a reset. Both from the standpoint of a new player without the availability of LEIs, Token Gear, or other related "optimal" items, and from that of a veteran Paracite, who has just about every available item at their disposal, sans unique items.

Which items are worth regenerating? Should you regen 3 AHs right off the rip? What about some good equips? Where's a good level/quest to be at when you end your first day?

I know right now there's not a lot to choose from, and some of these tips/strategies may be irrelevant after Beta, but I would be interested to know what you guys think.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Re: Optimal Run

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:42 am

We at the "Give a damn" foundation are waiting till after some beta testing to answer this question, I'll try and remember to inform you at a later date. Thanks for callin' G.A.D. foundat., have a good day.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 am

You should pull either 3 AHs or a candy necklace, and +OL items (standard is xPhone, 2007 Shirt, Spats) and buy+make 3 dixon spiders, then drink the 3 festive drinks.

It's pretty straightforward, donators have a massive advantage. This may or not change after beta but right now the strategies don''t really matter, because they will change.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 pm

That is only one type of optimal, DAY, not turn or cost, there are many different ways to do this even now, but when you make it impossible to do a one day, as Beta should accomplish, then you get real optimal conversations started. Instead of just FASTEST(Day+Turn). Also, with inebriation added, you have to find out if pacing yourself is worth it stat wise.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Um, drunkenness doesn't do anything, just space out your drinkage between turns. The only thing it gives is a *buff* and a small annoyance. But yeah, when beta comes there will be a lot of decisionmaking/skill.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Cowboy, that is exactly what I was talking about, whether the Lowering of stats was worth the extra subpoints immediately or if it was better to just space it out and not have gained that immediate gain to your subpoints, making everything happen faster, because Leveling is what is most important, not keeping higher stats. You would immediately pace yourself, which is almost most definitely not the optimal choice if you can survive with the drunk effect.

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 am

I have not reset in a long time, but using hugs helped me a lot! :-) It does help that I can make them as I go along.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm

ahaha Jazzy has an unfair advantage :D

darkgamr
Forum Addict

Unread post by darkgamr » Wed May 11, 2011 1:46 pm

A truly optimal run is rolling like 6 12s in a row with holo dice, then just sailing through everything. :wink:

My current run strategy as a pretty poor man is
1. Pull and eat 3 AHs, pull and equip token bling(being lent to me by sally)
2. adventure in park until ant quest and cage quest are done (take lots and lots of wishes), equip ant queen claw/crown
2a. when finished with cage quest, equip rubber ducky, remove and autosell elephant and giraffe equips
2b. buy 3 cider spiders from jazzycat when able to afford, drink when transitioning between areas when the intoxication will help
3. pull strap on wings, adventure in junkyard until I get a cuddly trash can, equip it, always end up with buff beer to finish off bladder
4. adventure in woods until I get 2 wooden rings, if I get a wooden jug, cool, if not who cares
Day 1 typically ends here
5. pull and eat 3 AHs, buy 3 cider spiders
6. adventure in second-hand sideshow until I get stilts and beard, equip both, will end up with some short pills too
7. use intoxication/short pills to go to mine camp f for fishnet stockings, equip
8. adventure in sideshow/mine camp(if possible) until level 7
9. At level 7 adventure in the lab that starts with a u until you get the keycard and get bravado on every noncombat(beard helps)
Day 2 ends
10. keep getting bravado until average lab enemies are dealing 10-15 damage, then kill star-crossed scientist and shifty company guy with really bad jokes, then get the last card from the armchair
11. Take out legion with 2 really bad jokes, throw huge party, invite everyone

Gets me solid 3 days that are somewhat close to 2 days (don't have to eat or drink on day 3 to finish) I know this is far from optimal, but it's the best way to do runs that I've figured out with my available resources. I end up spending shitloads on burn cream though, going to the labs before I can survive combat at all. I'd probably be slowed down to 4 days if it weren't for really bad jokes, almost definitely slowed to 4 days if it weren't for the bling, and probably slowed to 5 or 6 if I didn't have either, so yeah, right now it pretty much just takes a lot of expensive stuff to reset fast. Come beta, I'm hoping the skills and new mechanics will make speed reseting more skill based than stuff based, or at least there's a version of ToG's hardcore mode, where regenerating anything is impossible, so it comes down entirely to skill and RNG luck

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed May 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Part 2b won't be available come beta, and why do 3 and 4? I just farm stats and moolah in sideshow.

darkgamr
Forum Addict

Unread post by darkgamr » Wed May 11, 2011 8:42 pm

I do 3 and 4 because I can't survive the sideshow at all right after the park quest is finished