Class Equipment Restriction

Discuss general aspects of game play, such as quests, content, items etc.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Do you want classes to have equipment restrictions?

Yes
47%
No
20%
Maybe, but don't go overboard
33%

Total votes: 15

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Class Equipment Restriction

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 am

Ragazi has asked me to post this poll concerning classes having equipment restriction. For example, Brains classes may not be able to wear gloves because their gadgets need precise handling. Bravado classes might not be able to wear shirts, because it slows down their movement. You get the idea, nothing is set in stone though. This is just to see if people like the idea or not.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Re: Class Equipment Restriction

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 pm

I don't like the idea of removing what is already there, but I know we aren't ADDING stuff. I like the idea of Class Specific additions though. Be it by just adding an extra square labeled class specific or just making certain items only equip-able if you are a certain class, it would make the game more dynamic if classes were more different and there was a reason to play more classes or be more classes than 1 down the line. Halting floaters.

So, I'm:
NO4 - restricting whats already there
YES4 - making a new slot or just making gear that goes in slots already present.
Last edited by commandermack on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:02 pm

I agree with Mack. I would much prefer that you add some class-specific items, for example some gloves that can only be worn by Brawn classes.
Error: This signature no verb.

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 am

This is where we are going to go with this...

For example adding a light, meduim and heavy category on equipment. Then have each class only able to equip specific types of equipment limited to class. This does not mean that light equipment will be weak in anyway, nor will one class be more powerful than the other. It is simply an idea to help balance the classes and give players more options of game play. Also leaves room to put in a skill that allows classes to use equipment that it normally would not wear.

For example have you ever seen a wizard in wearing full plate armor? Most fantasy RPGs say no BUT at the same time allows the player purchase skills to equip such things. Why do they do this? Well its simple really. Playing the character of a wizard means you have to play a particular way in order to survive. Most wizard characters in a fantasy RPG are power full character class and if they could have powerful armor they would be hard to beat. They give the characters weakness to balance out the strength. But at the same time they give you the option to do it. Also it would make sense that casting a spell while wearing plate armor would probably be difficult in most cases in an RPG setting. Think about it, how long will it take a game to get boring if there is little to no risk of defeat? Granted to do this would be MORE work on the dev side of it...but if it enhances game play I don't mind doing more work..... so I should be against it and I am not. In doing so I may very well give me a headache...if I am willing to do this you may want to consider for something like this.

Now the way it stands now brains looks as though they are going to be a tad stronger than other classes. This is by logical design, another words we are realistically building these classes and what would logically go with them. It would stand to reason we should logically think of what the class should be restricted from or we will not have balance.

Trust me I speak from experience. I have played over 25 years of RPGs whether it be Online in such games as everquest or wow, or even Dungeons and Dragons and older games like Traveler and Rifts. I have seen the best AND worst of many game systems in action and trust me what I speak of above will be better in the long run, just have to look past the change part....

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Hmm...The classes have not even been made yet or implemented so its not changing what is already out there. The classes are a new aspect of the game altogether. So if you both say don't change what is already out there are you saying not to make classes at all?

My experience I have seen this before, people resisting change when its not a benefit, what you fail to see that the benefit is an advantage. You character is being able to use things other classes can't. That is the benefit if you all are wondering it is not that much different than the skills. When you are a certain class you will only have access to certain skills that other classes can't use. So once you choose a class the restrictions will apply. I don't know how else to explain it so it can be understood but as you all speak on the topic it seems as though you may not understand what I am saying.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Ragazi wrote:You character is being able to use things other classes can't.
Yes, you say that, but cowboy said it a completely different way.
Cowboy wrote: For example, Brains classes may not be able to wear gloves because their gadgets need precise handling.
While you say that things are being added like classes, this "Vote" and even the topic name is based solely on this very fact. While we aren't against Classes or even them getting specialized things, we are against taking something away from us that we already have, being the general census here. See I'm OK with you take equipment and specializing it or making it weight specific and whatnot (IE "Light, Moderate, or Heavy" or "Melee, Ranged, or Gadget"), where only certain classes could wield certain types of weps or weight of weps. because I think that adds to the ways to play the game, that is one aspect that gives reason to want to change classes. But limiting what Equip slots can equip is again the topic, as defined by cowboy in the quote from his post, and this affects things like Existing Outfits, which takes away from the game, by limiting what is possible. While classifying certain equips as useable by a single or multiple(excluding 1-some) is something entirely different, that would be further diversifying what is out there, and giving greater importance to different classes, which again, I am for, but if you are doing the weapon thing, you must also keep in mind that you are going to want some things to be equip-able by all classes, and have a General/NA weight/Type IE: Impee Plastic Pitchfork, toy water pistol, razor-tipped glove, and especially short-handled pickaxe. While considering LEI as a possible exclusion, but not necessarily.

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 am

Okay when limiting equipment slots are involved I never told him that. The equipment slots will not change, it is a base mechanic of the game and that would be difficult to do as it not only affects the equipment you can equip but it affects other aspects as well in the coding department. Everyone will be able to fill every equipment slot.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:37 am

Ah ok, I must have misunderstood.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 am

YATAH! lol, and now this topic is resolved regardless of vote.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Maybe use the "Offhand" slot different for each class. Have it "shield/2nd Hand" for Brawn, "spellbook" for Brains, and Offhand for Bravado?
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."