LifeSpark (SPOILERS)

Discuss general aspects of game play, such as quests, content, items etc.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

LifeSpark (SPOILERS)

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:32 pm

We appreciate that it's not going to be perfect for everyone, particularly as the game currently stands (the lack of higher-level content and the fact that nobody's resetting these days especially). Even though the item is out there, that doesn't mean that it's absolutely final and set in concrete, so if you have any constructive feedback to offer, please share it with us and we'll take it on board.

Please try and refrain from saying things like "it's dumb", but try and give us something we can actually work with.

Oh and please don't bother saying "it should cost 1 token, not 2" because it's too late for that. It costs 2, so we're looking for feedback that will make it worth its price :)

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: LifeSpark (SPOILERS)

Unread post by jupider » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm

A cooldown period? Even once a month would seem reasonable. Don't know how or even if you could make it work if a player had more than one in inventory, but that's
my feedback for now.

Maybe make it a device? And have a one-token "recharge kit" available if you have one installed?
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Make the holopet equipment have an effect that effects any holopet equipped with it.

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Beta Fish, only doing 3 damage at 13 intensity? seems way too weak for something that took 2 tokens to make, in comparison to the pudding it falls back.

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 am

Okay I will admit that SOME of the lifespark products are a bit underpowered. But not all of them. We are working on improving the products to be better and we are taking all these suggestions into consideration. Thank you for the positive feedback and I am certain we will improve these.

Right now we are focusing more on bettering the pets as supposed to changing aspects of the pets. At first we were going to set up in the store a regular pets that would be changed out every year or two like KoL does with their Mr. Store famliars. Instead we decided to make this item that can make pets out of regular drops. So we are right now focusing on how to improve the pets. Also keep this in mind, some of the past pets might be better than these but that is changing as the past pets were not built with any guidelines for comparison. We are now working on fixing that so please resist the urge to compare these pets with the previous Token releases that only cost 1 token.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:15 pm

jupider wrote:A cooldown period? Even once a month would seem reasonable. Don't know how or even if you could make it work if a player had more than one in inventory, but that's
my feedback for now.

Maybe make it a device? And have a one-token "recharge kit" available if you have one installed?
Are you suggesting that when you use it, instead of being consumed, it becomes deactivated for a period of time and can be used again once that period has expired?

I think so, just wanted to clarify.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Gobberwart wrote:
jupider wrote:A cooldown period? Even once a month would seem reasonable. Don't know how or even if you could make it work if a player had more than one in inventory, but that's
my feedback for now.

Are you suggesting that when you use it, instead of being consumed, it becomes deactivated for a period of time and can be used again once that period has expired?

I think so, just wanted to clarify.
Precisely. And the "Recharge Kit" would be if you did not want to wait for the end of the cooldown period. The 1-Token Recharge Kit would be consumed but there would be no limit on how many you could use in any given period. Keep in mind that the cooldown period of one month was purely suggestive and could be longer or shorter, pending your final judgment. In fact, this whole idea is hinged on your opinion of it, but you wanted feedback, so I obliged.

I realize that this concept would make the first holopet cost 2 Tokens and all subsequent ones cost only 1 (or none, if they're just patient) so I don't know how it will affect the number of donations you hope to receive, but as I mentioned above, this is all just suggestive.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 pm

jupider wrote:Precisely. And the "Recharge Kit" would be if you did not want to wait for the end of the cooldown period. The 1-Token Recharge Kit would be consumed but there would be no limit on how many you could use in any given period. Keep in mind that the cooldown period of one month was purely suggestive and could be longer or shorter, pending your final judgment. In fact, this whole idea is hinged on your opinion of it, but you wanted feedback, so I obliged.

I realize that this concept would make the first holopet cost 2 Tokens and all subsequent ones cost only 1 (or none, if they're just patient) so I don't know how it will affect the number of donations you hope to receive, but as I mentioned above, this is all just suggestive.
It's a good idea in general if building a new LEI from the ground up, but retrofitting it to an existing LEI would be something of a nightmare because it was never designed to work that way. I'll keep the idea in mind for a future LEI.

Having said that, there's no reason the way the LifeSpark currently works needs that kind of change. The intention was to provide an item which would allow you to take certain useless items you probably already have lying around (or can easily obtain) and convert them into something useful. On this level, the LifeSpark works as intended and doesn't need changing.

I've actually realised that there's a bit of a problem with me asking for feedback at this juncture, being this...

As it stands, there's no evidence of anyone who would really have a clue how the pets currently work, based on their own personal experience. There are four new Holopets that can be made from the Lifespark. As far as I can see, only two people actually have all four pets, and there hasn't been much time/effort spent checking them out (based on their level). That's a bit disappointing, and I don't quite get it. If the people who have put a very small amount of time into spading have managed to put everyone else off with negative comments based on VERY limited exposure, then in my opinion that's very sad.

I know you all want stuff that's super-cool, and that's fine. We'll do our best to give it to you, but please remember that what many of you seem to be viewing as "buying a cool new toy" is actually a donation to the game's running costs, and therefore to its very existence. Anyone who talks donation items down, or who refuses to donate because a given item isn't "cool enough" is just hurting the game in the end.

We do listen to feedback, so if something needs work, we can improve it, but we can't do that if we can't afford to run the game any more and have to close down as a result.

Also, please try and remember that, just because something is geared towards gameplay, and therefore doesn't help you right now because you're a) level 9 bajillion and b) not resetting until Beta comes out, doesn't make the item forever worthless, either for your future gameplay needs OR as a potential investment should the game become successful in the future.

Moving on...

In my opinion, the pets that come from the Lifespark are not as good as they should be. They're not bad per se, they're just not as good as I want them to be or ultimately worth their weight in tokens. To that end, I've spent several hours crunching numbers, and I'm in the process of updating code that will make them significantly better. Hopefully within the next couple of days (depending on my available time), those changes will go live, instantly making all existing LifeSpark holopets a lot better.

TL;DR - New LEI to be updated/improved soon, please donate so we don't go broke.

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

i personally liked the hookah pet, its not bad at all, spent a whole day with it and it was good. Today Im trying out the shameepette, and see what it does.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am

Well done Gobb and Raggy..........

The tweaks have REALLY made a GREAT difference :D

thankyouthankyouthankyou! :D

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 am

yes, and the new crystals are a great bonus :)

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:35 am

Yes guys, please do keep in mind that donating it's what matters, it's actually why I have a display case full of older LEs. Not because any of them are particularly useful to have more than one or two of but because the server has costs. That being said, I no longer have my sucky but decent paying warehouse job anymore and am instead am currently on the more self-fulfilling but currently significantly less financially rewarding job of full-time student and am sadly unable to donate right now...so take that for what its worth. :P

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 pm

I think a certain reindeer should drop crystals, also does it do something else other than block and give stats? otherwise its just an underpowered hookah, im thinking it lower chances of combat due to its natural nature of - OL, but havent tested that out.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:52 am

Yep I think it was just an oversight but reindeer doesn't drop crystals...

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm

The Reindeer was always intended to drop shards, but... ummm.. well, it was Christmas time, there was nog... Anyway, it has now been fixed so that it does.

Sorry about the delay, I've been a bit slack with my forum-fu and nobody reported a bug so I only just heard about it