Beta Bug Testing/Reporting

Discuss the impending Beta release of Paradox!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Beta Bug Testing/Reporting

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:04 pm

During the next few months, some fairly substantial chunks of code are going to be created and modified. Of course, I'm going to take every precaution possible to make sure that updating code doesn't introduce new bugs (or reintroduce old ones), but there are some things that need to be changed which affect multiple parts of the game, and there's definitely a chance that bugs could creep in. Even some really nasty ones!

Please remember that, while the game is open to all, it is still in alpha, and you should be prepared to not only tolerate, but also actively seek out and report any bugs that may crop up from time to time. If we get a really nasty bug (eg. infinite items/moolah), and it's caused problems that aren't fixable any other way, a database rollback might be necessary. We all REALLY hope not, and we'll do everything we can to avoid it, but if it's necessary then we'll do it.

You, as a player, can help prevent this by doing the following:

1. Be vigilant. If you spot something that looks like a bug, check it out and report it (using the "Report A Bug" link in the Mail menu) as soon as possible.
2. Don't exploit it. Test the bug only as much as is needed to verify that it exists, report it, then leave it alone.
3. Don't share it with others. The more people who know about a bug, the more chance there is of exploitation, and the greater the risk of a database rollback.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Beta Bug Testing/Reporting

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:12 am

I've received Pmails from a few people now, and I've put together a test server on which I have a couple of people doing some preliminary testing. For those who've sent me a people, I haven't forgotten about you, it's just that it'll take some time to set up properly and besides, there's really not much there to test yet. I'll be in touch as soon as I know exactly how we're going to go about things.