Nerfed Items

Discussion related to the game's officially-sanctioned Wiki.

Moderators: Public Forum Moderators, Wiki Forum Moderators

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Nerfed Items

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 am

Should we have a page with the nerfed items list (Like Platypus) with before and after stats, and when they were changed?

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: Nerfed Items

Unread post by jupider » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 am

Technically, I don't know if you can "nerf" an item while the game is still in alpha.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

Technically, you totally can. Especially one that was paid for. Do you want the page? think it sounds like a good idea?

The wiki is a collective group of information, it could be interesting/useful someday.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:57 pm

If anyone knows the old stats for the platypus, go for it, but from what I can see the only recorded stats are what they are now, not the broken stats. It's interesting really, whoever put the stats on the wiki either guessed what I meant to code and kept quiet about it, or it wasn't actually broken for that long.

In any case, it wasn't nerfed, it was fixed. Not QUITE the same thing. A nerf is when something is changed from one intended purpose to a different (weaker) intended purpose. In this case, I just screwed up some code, and now I've fixed it so it's working as it was originally intended.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 am

In what was exactly was it "broken"? Can you give us the numbers? I thought it was just reduced because it was way too powerful.

Also talking about nerfs... the rings either need A) A nerf or B) another item of similar value, easier to get but worse

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Cowboy, It went from PLAT*DRATE to PLAT+DRATE. Making everything at 40%+ drop rate drop 100% of the time with it, when it should have been 80%-100% based on the %. and 1% drop rates were at 61% when they should have been at 1.6%.

I for one didn't really notice since I assumed everything in the areas I was farming were at least 30% drop rates. And I wasn't getting the item all the time, just most of the time. Now I'm not getting things nearly as much and it is clearly understandable.

Shame no one saw that, could have probably gotten them a special weapon. ;)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Cowboy wrote:In what was exactly was it "broken"? Can you give us the numbers? I thought it was just reduced because it was way too powerful.
It was reduced because it was way too powerful, but not because it was *designed* to be way too powerful, just because I forgot a bit of code.

Basically, if the platypus gave (for example, I'm just plucking a figure out of thin air here) 15% bonus, and the base rate was 30%, then it SHOULD give a total chance of 30 + (30 * 0.15) = 34.5%. Instead, it was giving 30 + 15 = 45%. Because I forgot the (30 * 0.15) bit. See? Broken.

The actual calculation for the bonus hasn't changed, just the implementation has been corrected.
Cowboy wrote:Also talking about nerfs... the rings either need A) A nerf or B) another item of similar value, easier to get but worse
Many, many less-powerful items will be added to the game before beta. If you think something "needs nerf", explain why.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 am

"Many, many less-powerful items will be added to the game before beta. If you think something "needs nerf", explain why."

Good :)