Question of the Week -- Favorite Board Game

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Question of the Week -- Favorite Board Game

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:05 am

Question of the week!

Here is a way to get to know one another a bit without getting too personal or taking too much time. I will ask a new question every Sunday. Post your response to the question and visit again throughout the week to comment on others’ responses as well.
To get things started, I will always answer the question when I post.

All players that answer the question will get a small gift of thanks from me. At the least: a hug, some food items, and some drink items.

This week’s question:
What is your favorite board game?

My favorite board game is Hugger Mugger. No, it is not what you think! It is a quick paced game for 2-6 players with trivia and word challenges in it. One category is like the jumble in the newspaper. You get 6-8 letters and have to figure out the word. Another category has you spell a word out loud. One category is random and you may be asked to fill in a missing word from a famous quote or list ten words that end in -ame. In addition, there is a vocabulary category.

I do not play it often, but I definitely enjoy it when I do. Even if it is not my turn, I try to solve the jumble questions or the word list type questions. I enjoy many kinds of board games. However, the quick pace and mental challenge of this game are what make me continue playing it.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Re: Question of the Week -- Favorite Board Game

Unread post by LordCretin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Board games are seldomly on my table these days, but I do retain a fondness for chess. Competent would not adequately describe my gameplay. While offense is not a problem, my defensive analysis leaves much to be desired. Despite any applied deliberation, my opponent's strategic future diminishes within my thoughts, to cerebral mash. Inevitably, victory remains outside my grasp.
So, instead of playing to win, I play to extend the game. I can bluff a decent kick-off. With the game progressing, I'll then throw in the odd odd countermove. While they rework their plan, play continues.
It's not my intention to be an asshat, so I don't compete against resolute players. Someone looking to enjoy a bit of gameplay and conversation is my target. On a couple of trips to Amsterdam, chess proved a perfect accompaniment to me and my fellow herbal aficionados. Canals, brown cafes, outside seating, summer sun and chess, all in an open and relaxing atmosphere, lovely!

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for sharing, LordCretin!
My dad and I played chess on occasion when I was growing up. When I moved to Maui, he actually gave me the board that he and I played on. I never developed any major skills with the game, but I do remember the names of the pieces and how they move.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:56 am

Bejeweled 2 Deluxe......... I would hate to think of how many hours Ive played that over the years....... :shock:

I guess I just like the pretty colours......... I also can play cribb..... a classic board game :D

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 am

RISK, Axis and Allies, Monopoly, those are my favorites :)

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:34 am

Backgammon. Risk if you have more than 4 people isn't that bad, under and it is just cut-throat. :P

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:52 am

Risk. I prefer card games, like Pinochle, Spades, Hearts, and Yookur. (No idea how to spell that last one)

Also I love this game: http://www.boardgame-online.com/

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks for sharing, Sally, Soda, CommanderMack and Cowboy!
A nice trip down memory lane. Some good and some not so good. I played a lot of Monopoly growing up. I think I was asked to play so my sisters and their friends would not have to be the banker! Many games of Risk ended with little pieces flying all over the room!

Some of the games that you guys mentioned I need to look up since I have not heard of them before.

As far as card games go, I always thing it is so cool how many games you can play with a deck (or more) of cards! My friend taught me how to play Liverpool Rummy and I love playing that. Hubby and I also have fairly recently learned how to play Hand and Foot, but you need 4 players for that one.

Dad and I played a lot of backgammon and cribbage when I was a kid. We still play those two when we visit one another.

oinkoink08
Forum Noob

Unread post by oinkoink08 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 am

my favorite game is millionaires. i usu to play it with my little brother me acting as the banker ..
Its like monopoly but its not that famous like the monopoly.
i really enjoy being the banker and handling all the money. we use to play it for hours and not get tired of it. :D

death
Forum Noob

Unread post by death » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 am

Monopoly will always be my favorite board game. But it may be because I am ridiculously good/lucky at it! ;P so now no one plays with me anymore :( A new favorite is ImagineIf... it's a game personalized to each group which is always fun. And another favorite game (not so boardy) is Liar's dice, which I just learned a coupla days ago on a visit to my family.

Eboli2x4
Forum Regular

Unread post by Eboli2x4 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Another vote for Backgammon. Awesome game.

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks for sharing, OinkOink08, death, and Eboli2X4!

I think it is great that there is a mix of classics as well as new games here that we enjoy!
We have played ImagineIf a few times. (We actually own it). It is really fun with a group of people that know each other fairly well. We have not always had enough active players, so we have added friends' names that were not here, and even tried adding our cats' names to it once. Somehow that even worked!

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 am

I really enjoy Pictionary while i'm thinking about it. lol.

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 pm

We just got a new one called Callisto. My brother-in-law really likes it, so we bought it to give it a try. Now we just need to have some friends over to play games!

Phantom491
Forum Regular

Unread post by Phantom491 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Settlers of Cataan, Zombies Attack (& Martians derivative). We used to play these during our RPG Gaming weekends (Ask Soda) as fillers when noone really had anything else planned, or just to fill the time until the rest of the group got together.

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 am

Yep, both good games as well, Phantom