Question of the Week 8/7 - 8/13) --Nicknames

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Question of the Week 8/7 - 8/13) --Nicknames

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Here is a way to get to know one another a bit without getting too personal or taking too much time. I will ask a new question every Sunday. Post your response to the question and visit again throughout the week to comment on others’ responses as well.

All players that answer the question or respond to another player's response will get a small gift of thanks sent to you on my behalf from our awesome Pandora!

To get things started, I will always answer the question when I post.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This week's question is did you have a nickname growing up? Do you have one now? What is the story behind it?
If you do not/ did not have a nickname, do you have any stories about someone else's nickname? Share with us!

When I was in 8th grade, I had two nicknames. The first one was "Golden Gloves" and the second one was "Hugger".

On the first day of 8th grade, a boy named Fred was touching the chalkboard. I asked him to stop, and he made a comment about how will I make him. Then another boy, Dennis, said, that's right, she was Golden Gloves champion of '83 and '84 and is working on '85. That was my first conversation with either boy, and Dennis and I became really good friends that year. My social studies teacher actually called me "Golden Gloves" and I wrote that as my name on all of my assignments for that class for awhile.

Some other friends called me "Hugger". 'Nuff said. ;-)

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: Question of the Week 8/7 - 8/13) --Nicknames

Unread post by jupider » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Lol. The only nickname that comes to mind is "fingercuffs" from Chasing Amy.

But seriously, the only nickname I've ever went by is my real life last name, which is (un)fortunately the same as a particular Vicodin-addicted poor-bedside-mannered doctor on a TV show. And I've went by that name for a lot longer than he has. It used to be that I was always asked how to spell it, so as not to be offended or something; now when I say my name it's always, "Oh, like the doctor on TV?"

Bastard.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Cub, Cubby and surprisingly often, pest/vermin............

Kinda goes hand in hand with a name like Fox.......... :roll:

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 am

I was one of them kids. who nicknames followed thei every move. excussious- iAM drunk , no seenssso there haHAHA!!., YA!! Combat GummByie usw favoared
bEvcauzze sueetewed mi egoe. imnna cadetdz, , iwuas helpvukk abn asssuch helpppppddee.

ann tiem fer antter story iss abouut suuppperman. is story were ewe musz bee 188older. izs nautee leer n nonsensae

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 am

Wow Lordy!! :shock:

my google translator cooked while trying to decihper that............ :lol:

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Hmmm, excusings please.
I've been stalking the availability for a new position at a venue in Cardiff Bay. I made it to the shortlist, had the interview and the rejection letter they sent me is that positive, I'm tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall of the office where I now work. A neighbour joined me for some vodka commiserations.

Allow me to make some sense of that last post:
My favourite nickname found me as a teenager, back in the cadet force - Combat Gumby. Gumby was a character in a claymation TV show. "If you have a heart, then Gumby's a part of you!" Gumby had a way of finding himself forever escaping increasingly ludicrous events, while still smiling. Because of the childhood I had just come through, not much would faze me. I had developed a craving for the unusual and would jump head first into silly situations. Somebody came up with the juxtaposition of Gumby and the military, during one of our field exercises and the name stuck for two years.
As for how I landed the nickname Superman, you'll have to hunt me down to learn that. Try one of the pubs by the bay, or following that dissipating waft of satival fragrance. Sorry for the drunken tease from the previous post, but that story is not for public forums.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Thank you Super-Gumby :D

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 am

Well, while mine is not as adventurous as Super Combat Gumby :) , My favorite and only nickname that I confirm, is Thumper, because I have a habit of my leg shaking constantly when I am not thinking about it, or when I am nervous or other things :P