Question of the Week 8/21 - 8/27) --Comedian

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Question of the Week 8/21 - 8/27) --Comedian

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 am

Here is a way to get to know one another a bit without getting too personal or taking too much time. I will ask a new question every Sunday. Post your response to the question and visit again throughout the week to comment on others’ responses as well.

All players that answer the question or respond to another player's response will get a small gift of thanks sent to you on my behalf from our awesome Pandora!

To get things started, I will always answer the question when I post.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This week's question is: Who is your favorite comedian?

I love Eddie Izzard! My hubby showed me some of his clips last year and I was hooked instantly. I love how he thinks and tells stories. Somehow he manages to refer back to a previous idea quite fluidly and just keeps on going with the story.

I really do not have a big sense of humor and do not relate to many comedians. I am sure there are others that I like as well. However, Eddie Izzard puts on a great show!

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Re: Question of the Week 8/21 - 8/27) --Comedian

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Tough one, I have 2 favorites, Bill Cosby and Robin Williams :) with George Carlin coming in a very close 2nd

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm gonna have to second Eddie Izzard as my favorite. Runners-up include Denis Leary, Louis C.K., Gilbert Gottfried, Lewis Black, Jeff Dunham, Bob Saget, Dennis Miller, The Amazing Jonathan, the cast of Monty Python, the regular cast of the original British version of Whose Line is it Anyway (host Clive Anderson, performers Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops, Tony Slattery and a few others--fuck you Drew Cary and Wayne Brady, I'll get to you in a minute!) and the hosts of BBC's Top Gear (Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond) although technically the last few aren't "comedians," but those shows are funny as hell. (I'm sure there are more but they're just not coming to mind right now. Or Google searches.)

As for Robin Williams... well, me and some of my friends classify a lot of "comedians" as having "Robin Williams Syndrome" which basically means the "comedian" is trying to be funny and actually thinks that they're funny, but, in fact, they are not. "Comedians" with RWS include Robin Williams (obviously), Drew Cary, Wayne Brady (FUCK YOU, YOU UN-FUCKING-FUNNY HACK!!!), Carrot Top, Dane Cook, and pretty much anybody from SNL after 1995ish.

Ah... now that you brought this up I can sit through hours of hilarious YouTube video clips. To both laugh hysterically and to get the god-awful images of Wayne Brady trying to be funny out of my mind. Fuck you, Wayne Brady. Fuck you.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:26 am

In robin williams defense, he isn't portrayed very well comicly in many of his "Comedic" roles in movies, they just aren't him. His actual comedy tours are like a 180 from his normal comedic satire. And he hits so many areas that people are bound to think he isn't funny as a comedian based on this fact.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:27 pm

KilgoreTrout wrote:YEs, Robin Williams was so much more funny when he was doing stand-up.
...and high on coke.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."