#17!! W00t!!1!

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

#17!! W00t!!1!

Unread post by jupider » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:44 pm

I am quite impressed with myself! #17 on the the Dixon Cider (TM) Spider consumption leaderboard, only beat out by a small handful (albeit most) of forum posters.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised to even be in the top 20.

For those interested/keeping count:

Code: Select all

Dixon Cider (TM) spider
1.  	Sallyfox           3,486
2.  	Right2Wrong2000 	2,937
3.  	JazzyCat     	   2,173
4.     Dick    	        2,164
5.  	Spiff 	          1,805
6.  	Rakkasan 	       1,657
7.  	McFeisty 	       1,438
8. 	 Death 	          1,290
9. 	 Fizzbin 	        1,249
10. 	OinkOink08 	     1,229
11. 	Frisesomorum 	   1,133
12. 	INVISIBLE 	      1,005
13. 	Zammorak 	         976
14. 	unknownZ 	         958
15. 	kareneliot    	    855
16. 	Sponge_Bob 	       850
17. 	jupider 	          810
18. 	MsFeisty 	         808
19. 	SportGuy 	         671
20. 	cowboy 	           646
Dixon Cider consumption came up again today. Here's the updated list:

Code: Select all

Dixon Cider (TM) spider
1. 	 Sallyfox 	       4,151
2. 	 Right2Wrong2000 	3,024
3. 	 Dick 	           2,274
4. 	 JazzyCat 	       2,229
5. 	 Spiff 	          1,985
6. 	 Rakkasan 	       1,674
7. 	 McFeisty 	       1,466
8. 	 Fizzbin 	        1,441
9. 	 Death 	          1,290
10. 	jupider 	        1,288
11. 	OinkOink08 	     1,229
12. 	Frisesomorum 	   1,133
13. 	INVISIBLE 	      1,014
14. 	unknownZ 	       1,002
15. 	Zammorak 	         992
16. 	kareneliot 	       855
17. 	Sponge_Bob 	       851
18. 	SportGuy 	         836
19. 	MsFeisty 	         829
20. 	cowboy 	           766
Last edited by jupider on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Re: #17!! W00t!!1!

Unread post by JazzyCat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm

I have not had a drink in quite awhile. :-) Nice to still see my name up there.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 am

Pffft! Sally's on top. We all know Sally loves Dixon Cider Spider ;)

Wait... what? Does that even make sense?

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Poor spider... No wonder it has no webs. :roll:

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Should disabled users be on leaderboards? There are now 3 of them hogging the spots. Just wondering what other people's opinions on this are... should they be immortalized, or punished for being disabled and not shown on the leaderboards?

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am

You raise a good point, cowboy. I was thinking about that in light of recent events (we all know what I'm talking about). I mean, technically those leaderboard positions are still valid, and while a player is disabled, they still exist and MAY be able to come back. Until they're deleted, their spots still belong to their accounts. Removing them from leaderboards gives false results, doesn't it?

I honestly don't have the perfect answer for this, so... what does everyone else think?

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:28 pm

I kinda think they should be hidden while in DISABLED mode, it isn't really false sense in that case, they aren't able to log in, so they are basicly not playing the game anymore at that point till the matter is resolved and they get back on, in which case, they wouldn't be in DISABLED mode anymore and at rollover their achievements would be allowed back on the list.

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:13 pm

I think that regardless of a persons actions to get themselves disabled, they did in fact participate in the game and legitimately got themselves to a spot on a leaderboard. There they should remain. If you want them off, then push them off by surpassing their achievement. Just because they got themselves disabled (or even deleted, for that matter) that shouldn't erase their efforts, unless, of course, their achievement was ill-gotten.

I say they stay.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Maybe the reason they are disabled is because they cheated in some for or fashion to get on the board. lol.

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm

jupider wrote:Just because they got themselves disabled (or even deleted, for that matter) that shouldn't erase their efforts, unless, of course, their achievement was ill-gotten.
I think I covered that in my original post, Mack.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Sorry, stopped reading at the PERIOD. :P

"I think that regardless of a persons actions to get themselves disabled, they did in fact participate in the game and legitimately got themselves to a spot on a leaderboard." - Jup.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

commandermack wrote:I kinda think they should be hidden while in DISABLED mode, it isn't really false sense in that case, they aren't able to log in, so they are basicly not playing the game anymore at that point till the matter is resolved and they get back on, in which case, they wouldn't be in DISABLED mode anymore and at rollover their achievements would be allowed back on the list.
The problem with this is that someone might get very excited at achieving leaderboard spots, only to have a disabled player suddenly reactivated and push that person off the boards again, resulting in upset, panic and angst. And whining. Which I hate. For that reason, I feel as though a disabled player should stay in place. Deletion is another matter.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I have a solution............ heh

When this place goes like "full on" beta............... why not re-set everyone?

Then all old records could go to archives, and then there would be a new levelled playing field for record setting............

Wont solve probs like this down the track, but it would solve this particular issue......... just a thought 8)

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Gobberwart wrote:
commandermack wrote:I kinda think they should be hidden while in DISABLED mode, it isn't really false sense in that case, they aren't able to log in, so they are basicly not playing the game anymore at that point till the matter is resolved and they get back on, in which case, they wouldn't be in DISABLED mode anymore and at rollover their achievements would be allowed back on the list.
The problem with this is that someone might get very excited at achieving leaderboard spots, only to have a disabled player suddenly reactivated and push that person off the boards again, resulting in upset, panic and angst. And whining. Which I hate. For that reason, I feel as though a disabled player should stay in place. Deletion is another matter.
OK, thinking about this a bit, but Firstest boards should just list 1st people regardless of Banned, Disabled, or otherwisely disposed. As for Fastest and Mostest, those are things that aren't about discovery, but goal oriented, and I wouldn't see why people would get RAGEQUITTY about getting bumped from that because some disabled person came back because people can surpass their achieved goal at any moment by just getting faster/more at/of things.

My thoughts on this are that of, if a player is disabled, they are being suspected of breaking some terms of use or something, like multiabuse which could further a Mostest collection or Fastest run along, or abusing some form of bug which lets them get money or items or skip a quest or something advantageous to those specified boards. Now I don't think someone like that should remain on the board while under speculation bad enough that they had to get disabled. Now I realize not all people who are disabled are abusers of the game mechanics or alts, but could just be disabled for some other term of use misconduct or something as well, but the ones that do abuse shouldn't get to throw the records off because of this fact.

This is my last comment on this matter because I don't have my trusty soapbox anywhere near me. Nor do I even think this affects me longterm and this is a longterm matter. I'm tempted to just delete this whole train of thought, but I just spent 10-15 min typing it all, so pfft.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 am

I hear ya Maccy 8)

Its just one of those cant please everyone subjects.................. :wink:

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 am

sallyfox wrote:When this place goes like "full on" beta............... why not re-set everyone?
To some degree, that's going to happen anyway. It'll have to, because things like the fastest reset won't make any sense with the new reset requirements. We'll take snapshots of the pre-beta leaderboards for fame and glory reasons of course :)

Mack, you'd be amazed what people get ragequitty about. I've seen some astoundingly childish bullshit in the time I've run this game, and the fact is that it's impossible to do the "right" thing by everyone.

Taking an example though... The fasterest leaderboards shows that Invisible has 17 of the top 20 "turns" resets, even though his account is disabled, due to something other than cheating. I believe I already mentioned astoundingly childish bullshit. Aaanyway, if his records were hidden while his account is disabled, suddenly there are 17 new spots that would automatically go to someone else. Cowboy would be in the #1 spot, and you (Mack) would be in #2 and #3 and... I have no idea who would be in spots #4 through #20 but it would be interesting.

Now, that's a MASSIVE change to the leaderboard, and if Invisible were to suddenly come back, it could make for some very interesting upsets.

Not that he will be coming back, I'm just saying.

EDIT: Just for shits and giggles, here's what the fasterest leaderboards would currently look like without disabled players (ignore the formatting - it's just a quick test I generated) - http://www.paradoxthemusical.com/record ... isable.htm

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 am

Interesting. Wasn't expecting to see my name so much, but guess that is largely due to the lack of total resets in the game by individuals other than Invisible.

Keeping in mind that 1 individual in a beta-verse probably wouldn't hold more than probably 1-3 of those slots, I can't see there being so much change that it would be widely noticeable like that. Their name would leave and their would be a few extra names on the list, probably some already on the list. When they came back on the list, I just don't see it being noticeable to such a degree that people would even think that it was just a disabled person being re-enabled, unless of course all you do is check the records every hour on the hour.

Yeah, people whine, I get it. I'll just change my vote to I Don't Care now. It honestly doesn't matter to me, and besides, how many leaderboard players are going to end up getting disabled at the same time anyways. 1-2 tops in any one category? IDK. :?

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Well, I'll just beat Invisible in the fasterest and then it won't matter, will it? ;)

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Not worth the hassle. :P

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:37 am

Gobberwart wrote:I was thinking about that in light of recent events (we all know what I'm talking about).
::raises hand:: Um, actually, I have no idea what you are talking about, and I must say, it makes me feel a bit disenfranchised as a player to read a statement like that made in a public forum. Normally, I'd just ask the person who made the statement for some context, ie. Um, what recent events exactly?, but it seems clear that what is being discussed is disciplinary in nature, which means the details probably aren't going to be aired here. It is one thing to say it in a Devs/Moderators only forum where clearly all of the people reading would either already know or have clearance to know the details. It's quite another to make such a statement in a public forum, where the only possible reply to "What recent events are you referring to?" is "Sorry, can't tell you."

All Paradox players who sign up for the forums can see these posts - if one can't discuss the details of something, one probably shouldn't mention it here. And certainly not create an "us/them" situation with "We all know what I'm talking about", when obviously, no, "we all" don't as "we all" aren't upper level management.

Just my thoughts.

~Aramada

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Point taken, Aramada. The specific event was fairly public, but you're right, not EVERYONE knows what happened and I shouldn't assume that they do. I won't go into details, but just so everyone's across it, I'll summarise by saying that Invisible took whining to a whole knew level, and then crossed a line by turning it into personal and very public abuse directed against me. I'm pretty tolerant, but that was excessive and intolerable.

Now, back on topic :)

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks for the clarification Gobber, 'tis appreciated.

On the current topic:

Um...er.....uh.....how about that local sports team?

~Aramada

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Well :)

Ask Gobb how his aussie football team is going :P