How do you eat your porridge (oatmeal?)

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

How do you eat your porridge (oatmeal?)

Unread post by ElljaeT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:05 am

I have recently been going through a rekindled fondness for porridge. I love it right now (especially as trying to lose weight at the moment prohibits the eating of cake, puddings and other sweet meats of which I am so fond)

Gob and I were talking today and we both eat our porridge differently. He has his plain with just a dollop of butter and I have mine with a teaspoon of honey in the middle and some milk on top. When I was growing up I used to eat it with the butter buried in the middle and nutmeg and sugar sprinkled on top but this changed when my english born canadian raised stepfather introduced me to the honey and milk scenario.

Anyway this just led me to wonder how other people eat their porridge. Gob mentioned Deo's post about cake and suggested that this may well be an appropriate place to survey the paradox populus.

So please one and all tell me do, how do you make porridge tasty for you?

Deo
Forum Addict

Unread post by Deo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:39 am

Being the real country boy that I am when I was growing up all we ever got was plain porridge, no butter, no honey.
My method of eating it is more specialized than the actual making of it itself. But to get back onto the topic at hand, I now like to make my porridge and more often than not it is just plain. But when I want to spice things up a bit I put a teaspoon of honey in the middle. I guess I waver in between Gob and Ell depending on my mood and availability of honey!

:D

art_bohemia
Forum Addict

Unread post by art_bohemia » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:00 am

Well first of all, Malt-O-Meal beats the crap out of Oatmeal, but that's just me. Butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and heavy cream, baby!!! Buttered toast on the side is a win-win. Ohhh yeah! Now I'm salivating. Damnit, Ell!

Now the kids like it with fruit preserves stirred in. Maybe a little cream, no butter. They prefer oatmeal over malt-o-meal. Silly kids.

Grok likes his with maple syrup.

None of that beats bacon. Throw out the oatmeal, the malt-o-meal and just give me bacon and eggs, sunny-side-up' the yolks have to be runny. :D Hashbrowns with catsup (ketchup). I wish they'd pick a spelling already. Stupid Americans.

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

Unread post by ElljaeT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:03 pm

lol Art I'd agree with you but the latter breakfast suggestion is not very conducive to those of us trying to lose a few pounds :-) oh and here we call Ketchup tomato sauce.

Some interesting ideas there though, I think the maple might be involved in my next bowl. :-)

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I add brown sugar to my oatmeal.

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:28 pm

If I eat oatmeal(though I agree with art, Malt-O-Meal is WAY better), it had better say "Maple and Brown Sugar" on the box...that is all.

soaK
Forum Addict

Unread post by soaK » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Where to begin? Being a nerd who attends medieval fairs and also in charge of cooking for our company I usually cook porridge in the mornings. To make them more interesting and also to stop our members from bitching I've taken to add fruit of all kinds.
Preserved cherries can be stirred in after cooking (not to sweet ones).
Another variety is to saute chopped pears in butter, then add water and cook the porridge in that. (Needs no additional sweetening)
Also nice is to cook dried cranberries or dried pieces of apple with the porridge. Or a mixture of both, if you feel fancy.
Honey, ground almonds, nutmeg and cinnamon sprinkled on top is another favorite.

Want more? :-)
Nunc id vides - nunc ne vides.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:19 pm

art_bohemia wrote:Throw out the oatmeal, the malt-o-meal and just give me bacon and eggs, sunny-side-up' the yolks have to be runny. :D Hashbrowns with catsup (ketchup). I wish they'd pick a spelling already. Stupid Americans.
How do you eat your oatmeal? Step one, throw out the oatmeal. Step two, replace with bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns.

You're on a winner there art :)

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:53 am

I thought step one was to cut a hole in the box? Oh wait...wrong scenario.

Impalix
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Impalix » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:14 pm

I agree with art. The best kind of oatmeal is that which is never made.

Although I don't eat eggs. You all can have my eggs and I'll substitute for waffles.

art_bohemia
Forum Addict

Unread post by art_bohemia » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:46 pm

In all seriousness, if I have to eat oatmeal, it gets baked into cookies. Either oatmeal cookies with raisins or no-bake cookies with cocoa and peanut butter. :D

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:58 pm

mmmmmmm oatmeal cookies! I love no bake cookies with oatmeal.
Now I want some cookies!!!!!

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Impalix wrote:Although I don't eat eggs. You all can have my eggs and I'll substitute for waffles.
How would you like your eggs in the morning Impy?

Unfertilised.

<laughtrack>

stone5150
Forum Addict

Unread post by stone5150 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:30 pm

I like my porridge with butter, milk and sugar.

flashylady
Forum Noob

Re: How do you eat your porridge (oatmeal?)

Unread post by flashylady » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 am

Those Irish oat groats rock when they're cooked overnight in my rice cooker with chopped figs and either dried cherries or dried apricots. Throw in a pat of butter and some chopped walnuts when you're ready to eat and you have a great winter breakfast!

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Yummmmm

Deo
Forum Addict

Unread post by Deo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:02 am

wow, that's a champion breakfast porridge.

Reenix
Contributor

Unread post by Reenix » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:48 pm

I will now openly admit that I have NEVER eaten porridge. Always commercial breakfast cereal, but never porridge. I will have to try it.
"Getting up on the wrong side of the bed never hurt anyone. Unless the wrong side is next to an open window."

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Try it. Without any additions it's boring as... well, something really boring, but you can make it really interesting if you put some thought into it.

Reenix
Contributor

Unread post by Reenix » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Hey Gobb, maybe there's an item idea, different flavoured porridges, just mix the oats with various items. Bit off-topic, but still.
"Getting up on the wrong side of the bed never hurt anyone. Unless the wrong side is next to an open window."