Paradox! The Radio Station

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Paradox! The Radio Station

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:47 pm

UPDATE: See this post for an important announcement.

As many of you will already be aware, Paradox now has a radio station. YAY!

That's all well and good, but what we DON'T have is any kind of plan for running the station, and that's where you come in. Yes, you. No, not the person behind you... YOU!

If anyone is interested in running a radio station for the game, please contact me and let me know. The dev team in general doesn't really have time for it, so we're hoping that players will have some amazingly awesome ideas, and we're prepared to set it up in such a way that whoever runs it will have complete control over the station.

While it doesn't negatively impact the game's performance, we'll even provide the server and some hosting space for you to set up whatever web pages etc. you want to set up.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Re: Paradox! The Radio Station

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:31 pm

I was thinking there could be one master dj, and the master dj could assign other dj's to have playlists ready to play for certain hours ect. I probably could be a minor dj if this is possible.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:36 pm

What I was trying to say in my earlier post was I would be a dj for part of the time possibly.

stroby
Forum Addict

Unread post by stroby » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm

I'd be happy to do a bit, I never helped on radio STC because when i'm able to do it is so changeable (finky was scarewi (yes I know she left but still never got round to it)) so I would only be able to volunteer as a feed filler when its empty but would be very glad to do so

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Actually, whoever takes on this (not insignificant) challenge, I'd like to see some blocks of time set aside for the casual DJ if at all possible, because it's not always possible for people to stick to a specific timeslot on a regular basis, but those people can put on a good show when time allows.

As for Fink being "scarewi"... no comment.

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm

well y'all know me, I'm down for random djness! I would consider teh "head" position, but I'm not sure if time will allow me to do such a thing atm(at teh moment)

Spiff
Wikinatrix

Unread post by Spiff » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:13 am

id like to be a regular Dj. I do have the time for it now lol
The Spiff

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:02 am

Yeah, I'd be a casual DJ.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:07 pm

FYI, we're currently in discussion with the folks over at Radio Free Xangaka regarding the possibility of combining our forces into a single station of some kind. Talks are still in the very early stages, and there are a lot of details to be worked out, but it's definitely something we're considering.

In the meantime, the station is available for anyone who wants to have a crack at DJing. If you'd like to run a show at any time, make sure you have the requirements (below) sorted out, then contact either Grokly or myself in-game (pm or pmail) for the details you need to get running on the Paradox server.

We don't have a set schedule, yet, but if we have a need, we can put one together.

Requirements:

- Appropriate broadcasting software, such as Winamp + Shoutcast DSP plugin (see http://www.shoutcast.com/download) or SAM Broadcaster or similar. Mac users can, I believe, use iTunes to broadcast, but I have no idea how. TROGdorable's been using a Mac for radio broadcasting for a while, she may be able to assist. Linux users... shrug. I know some people run Winamp via the WINE Windows Emulator but I suspect there's probably a nicer solution out there. If not, go write one - I'm sure it'll be popular :)

- A quality headset or microphone that you can use to talk. In the short term, I don't MIND if people want to do a music-only show (it beats dead air) but people like to hear the DJ speak, so if you can do that, great.

- A lot of music.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:01 pm

After spending some time with heliosa10 and TROGdorable today, it seems the best software to use for a Mac is Nicecast (see link below). It's pretty easy to set up and works well with iTunes, BUT, it's not free which is a bit of a bummer, and means you need to either pay for it ($40US) or restart your show every 20 minutes.

Link: http://rogueamoeba.com/nicecast

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 pm

I've been a DJ for the last couple years, as well as a founder, of GKOL, and I wouldn't be against the idea of doubling as a casual DJ for this game's radio station.

I will have to keep my name out of the proverbial hat for now though, since it seems that the power in GKOL world is being turned over in no small part to yours truly and I'll have to see how much radio energy I have left once that happens.

-jB

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 pm

OK, putting a halt to this thread for now. See this post for the reason.