Film Night!

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Film Night!

Unread post by HamanKarn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Acting upon the advise of my Raharu Superior (FLCL reference), I've decided to share a few films from the vast Internet archive. Bear with me here, as it might be a little dusty. :mrgreen: Anyway, I have a few films lined up for now:

1. Gertie the Dinosaur
2. The New Janitor
3. Making a Living
4. The Adventures of Dollie

The first one listed is an early animated feature; the following two feature Charlie Chaplin; and finally, we have D. W. Griffith's first directorial effort. The Adventures of Dollie stars, among others, Griffith's first wife Linda Arvidson, who would later appear in more Griffith features before retiring in 1911.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Re: Film Night!

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 am

awesome choices. I'm actually in the process of writing a short story centered around Chaplin's "Making a Living" character entitled "The Many Charms of Edgar English"

again, excellent choices.

-jB

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:40 am

I'm glad you enjoyed them buffet-san. You might like a few more Chaplin films, then:

1. Kid Auto Races at Venice, released the same year as Making a Living, introduces his famous Tramp character. The character is never referred to by name in any of his appearances, but the classic 1925 film The Gold Rush identifies him as "The Little Tramp."
2. The Property Man, also from 1914, shows Chaplin as the titular property man, encountering difficulties with an acting troupe, misplacing their luggage and arguing over who gets to enter the star's dressing room.

For a change of page, I'll include some more recent fare:

3. Haskell Wexler directed Medium Cool, released in 1969. Set in Chicago the previous year, the film chronicles a news cameraman desensitized to recording violent images. The film presents an interesting question: when should recording a gruesome scene end, and attempts to save a human life begin?
4. One of my personal favorite films, Rashomon presents an inquiry into the murder of a samurai. Akira Kurosawa draws loosely from two Akutagawa Ryunosuke works, In a Grove (the basis for the murder and subsequent investigation critical to the plot) and Rashomon (the inspiration for the film's title as well as the ruined gate scenes interspersed throughout).
5. Takeshi Kitano directed 1991's A Scene at the Sea, depicting the tale of a deaf garbage collector determined to learn how to surf.

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Question: What 1960 Roger Corman B-movie comedy was the basis of a hit Broadway musical which was, in turn, made into a movie?
Answer: Roger Corman's Little Shop Of Horrors

And for anyone who has not seen the musical version, here is part one ( of nine) of the full movie from 1986, directed by Frank Oz (of Muppet fame). Follow the links in the related videos list for the rest of the parts: Little Shop Of Horrors (Part 1)

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:02 am

Oh, dear - I distinctly remember the old Little Shop of Horrors film. The final scene is one the most bizarre in cinematic history. XD Either case, I'll update this thread, with . . .

The Passion of Joan of Arc: Restored in 1985 (according to the helpful placard prefacing the film), The Passion of Joan of Arc chronicles the eponymous leader.
Orphans of the Storm: This 1921 film depicts two orphans (one of them blind) who experience numerous deprivations before being reunited.

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Since I haven't posted here in two months, let me revive the thread with The Bat. Based on a hit 1920 Broadway play, the director remade the film in 1930 as The Bat Whispers. That remake inspire DC Comics' Bob Kane to create Batman.

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 am

Excellent choice, Haman!

It should also be pointed out that this play was once again made into a film in 1959 starring Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead. You can see that version here: http://www.archive.org/details/The_Bat_Vincent_Price

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:32 pm

To celebrate the birthday of Robert Harron, I'll feature perhaps most prominent feature film turn, along with another lesser-known film from the Hannon library.

1. Intolerance: Harron portrays the Boy in the Modern Story segment of this Griffith film.
2. Judith of Bethulia: Here, Hannon plays Nathan. The film takes as its literary source the Book of Judith.

Happy birthday, Harron.

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:36 pm

I'll also include one of the earliest film advertisements ever recorded: a 1897 commercial for Admiral Cigarettes.

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Exiting the Factory depicts what is described in the title. Also known by its French name La sortie des usines Lumière, Exiting the Factory shows people leaving the Lumière studio; this would only be a mere curiosity, if it were not for the fact that this film was the first ever to be broadcast to a paying audience.

Also from 1895, The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots depicts the titular execution. Robert Thomae, a man, plays the part of Mary I.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 pm

WOW! I'm going to have to find some time to watch these.