Receive pmail attachments before opening?

Think you've found a bug? Here's the place to talk about it. It might actually get fixed.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Receive pmail attachments before opening?

Unread post by jupider » Fri May 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Not sure if it's a bug or just how you intend it to work, but I noticed something I consider a little unexplainable. I logged in and noticed I had a pmail from Spiff. Figuring I knew what it was, I ignored it and instead clicked the "Players Logged On:" link to see who's out and about. Then I went to my consumables start my adventuring and I immediately noticed that I had a Wiki Wacky Taffy in my inventory even though I had not opened Spiff's pmail yet (I sent everything I have to my STASH so noticing the taffy was glaringly obvious). Just to make sure, I went to my inbox, clicked Spiff's pmail, and sure enough, I got a Taffy for contributing to the Wiki. Narratively, I don't think the Taffy should have been in my inventory until after I read the pmail, but if this is how you intend it to occur, I will let it go. My only concern is that if Paradox ever has an item that could alter the outcome of a turn (say for instance an 11-Leaf Clover) and you received one via pmail, it could effect your current goal if someone sent one to you, not to mention making you use an item you may or may not want to use.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Re: Receive pmail attachments before opening?

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Well this is how it has always been, but you raise a good point. If you delete the letter would you receive the items?

darkgamr
Forum Addict

Unread post by darkgamr » Fri May 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I can see how that could be an issue if such an item was implemented jupider, but I think it's probably a smaller issue than the possibility of an item just disappearing from the game if a pmail was deleted before opening, either by accident or from a troll sending you a ton of messages, filling the inbox and deleting the old ones (assuming the inbox actually has a limit, I don't see one publicly viewable.)

Plus it doesn't pose a problem until/unless a adventure-changing item is implemented, so we're fine right now and any work done before it becomes an issue(if it does at all) seems like unnecessary work to me.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun May 22, 2011 2:20 pm

It's definitely working as intended, so not a "bug" as such, but I see what you're saying. I'll put it on the ever-growing list of things to look at.