Chat "lag"

Think you've found a bug? Here's the place to talk about it. It might actually get fixed.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Chat "lag"

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm

While there are some ongoing, intermittent lag problems going on, it appears that a number of people have been experiencing some delay between typing and their words appearing in the chat text box. This is not "lag" in the traditional sense. True "lag" is when you press the "Send" button and it takes more than a few seconds for your message to appear, or when you try to adventure in game and the little spinny thing just keeps spinning for more than a few seconds. This type of "lag" is different, and is a result of the way that chat adds a right-click menu to each player name/id. Basically, it's a bit rubbish.

To try and combat this, I've just made a change that MIGHT improve the situation. Probably SHOULD improve it, but I'm not convinced until we do some more testing (which I can't do now because the US crowd has gone to bed, and the UK crowd hasn't woken up yet). In any case, it definitely won't make the situation any worse.

If you don't already have chat 0.6.5, refresh your browser to get it, and let me know how it goes.

LadyDelilah
Forum Noob

Re: Chat "lag"

Unread post by LadyDelilah » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:54 am

Being part of the US crowd that goes to work early, I'm awake and logged in all by my lonesome. Here's what I've found.

Last night: Had text box lag (as previously mentioned, I'd type and words would show up in chunks about a second later)
Had "lag" lag (Pressed Send [or just enter, which is more my style] and could count to at least 6 before seeing my message pop up, using the ever-popular one-marshamallow, two-marshmallow counting system)
Clicking on player profiles gave me the "spinny thing" about three times out of every five.
The animation in my avatar refused to move (I've seen that happen in lag situations in other places before)

This morning: Text box is fine, moving normally.
Highest count between send and message visibility is three seconds
No "spinny things"
The animation in my avatar moves.

Of course, we're talking about a server load comprised of, well, me. I'm all by my lonesome here, but I thought I'd report what I saw anyway.

Cheers!

stroby
Forum Addict

Unread post by stroby » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:59 am

I'm awake now... *waves* and chats empty :cry:

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Just curious, is anyone still experiencing the problem where there's a significant delay between typing and your text appearing in the message box? I'm fairly certain the memory leak that caused that problem is now fixed, but wouldn't mind some confirmation.

stroby
Forum Addict

Unread post by stroby » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:53 am

well I still get the 5 second delay, but as you said thats meant to happen I think its all working as it should

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:57 pm

There can be anything from a 1 to 5 second delay between when you press enter (or click Send) and when your message appears, usually somewhere in the middle. That's normal and is by design.