Navigate>Quick Search

Think you've found a bug? Here's the place to talk about it. It might actually get fixed.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Navigate>Quick Search

Unread post by jupider » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:15 pm

I don't know if this is a bug, per se, but when I click the text box to type in a search, by force of habit I move the cursor away from the text box so what I type is not obscured. Unfortunately, I often move my cursor outside the bounds of the drop-down menu, which collapses said menu. Is there any way to tell the menu not to collapse if the text box has focus? (Or at least until a link outside the text box or another menu item is selected/hovered over?)

If it's too much work, don't worry about, I can deal with it (i.e. learn to adapt) but it would be nice! ;)
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Navigate>Quick Search

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:00 pm

There's no way I've been able to find that will allow it to do that AND retain the functionality of the menus (ie. to pop up/down when you hover over them), sorry. So long as your mouse doesn't move right off the menu, however, it should stay there until you're done.

That doesn't mean it's impossible, just that I've spent several hours looking at the issue and haven't been able to find a way, and I'm just not able to spend any more time on it at the moment. If there's a javascript whiz out there who wants to take a look and provide a fix, it'd be cool :)

lostcalpolydude
Forum Noob

Unread post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm sure I would fail at coding this too, but an approach came to my mind. I know that these types of menus can have a delay between when you move the mouse away and when they close. Perhaps an onclick event in the text fields could change that delay (to 5 seconds, 10 seconds, I don't know), and when the menu changes it could change back to 0 seconds. I imagine this is harder than it sounds, and it isn't a perfect solution; I don't even know if this approach can leave the possibility of clicking outside the menu to instantly close that menu.

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Something interesting I've discovered: Even if you move the mouse away and the menu collapses, the text box still has focus. You just don't see it. You can still type in what you want and hit enter! Try it!
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:15 pm

True. Until you actually click something else to take focus away, the text box you clicked on will retain focus. It's still there, it's just invisible.