Random Anecdotes or Humorous Happenings

Anything that doesn't fit in any other forum.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Random Anecdotes or Humorous Happenings

Unread post by jupider » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Have something particularly funny or interesting happen to you? Would you just like to let anyone interested know what it was? Go ahead and post it here so others can join you in a chuckle or two.

I'll begin.

At my work, we have an unaccredited quote hanging on the wall that says, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." All of us who work there for the longest time have seen and read it, but no one has really had any inclination to discover who originated it. So, in a fit of OCD, I got my phone out and did a quick Google search. Without a need to actually go to any of the results, I said to my co-workers, "In case anyone is interested, that quote is from Aristotle." Without any hesitation, one of my co-workers, straight-faced and completely serious, quipped, "Isn't that the guy from CHiPs?"

I almost peed myself from laughing. I guess you had to be there.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Re: Random Anecdotes or Humorous Happenings

Unread post by JazzyCat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Okay, maybe he was not the guy from ChiPs, but I did used to have a poster of Erik Estrada on my wall. <3

Great idea for a thread though! Thanks for starting it, Jupider!

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:24 am

I think this should actually be in the game as a suggestion. Rarely when you go through a zone you'd get a funny message about something that happened to you. You don't get any items from it, but maybe a trophy if you find all events.

Sorry for derailing the thread...

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:25 am

I think this should actually be in the game as a suggestion. Rarely when you go through a zone you'd get a funny message about something that happened to you. You don't get any items from it, but maybe a trophy if you find all events.

Sorry for derailing the thread...

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 pm

So this one time, I was in the forums, and there was this double post from Cowboy. How I laughed!

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 am

Oh yeah, I remember that one...

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:13 pm

One from the dev team...

The date was March... I dunno, 28th, and I'd hate a lengthy chat with a certain dev team member who I won't name, but who is male, American, over 40 years old and whose player name starts with G and ends with rokly about the impending April Fool's day content.

At some point in the conversation, this happened..

Me: So, I've put the code into prod, and I've activated it so that, IF YOUR PLAYER ID IS UNDER 500, you can see it now.
G<UNNAMED PERSON>ROKLY: Uh-huh.
<conversation continues>

Several hours later, and I'm at the pub... text message comes through...

G<UNNAMED PERSON>ROKLY SAYS: DUDE! Call me urgently, there's a huge problem! THE LEPS ARE IN PROD!!!!!!
Me: Dude, your PID is what again? 5? Ummm....

Maybe you had to be there.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:55 am

Both of those are funny Gobb :P

I was walking down the road and 33 caterpillars were walking in a line. (This is common actually, it's how they move as a group, but 33 is a lot). It was so random I just had to laugh.

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Tried buying 2 baby chickens at the feed store today. Sounds simple enough. But it was not really so simple after all. First no-one would help us, then when we went to get help, the chicken lady was going to the chicken area with another family, so we followed. We were trying to find the 2 we wanted while she helped the other family. They had wanted 4. Then she told all of us that there was a 6 chick minimum. So my hubby asked the family if they wanted to split them and the family agreed. The worker said that it is not recommended to do that, because the chicks are more likely to die if there less than 6 of them. Well, okay, it is a recommendation then. No, it is corporate policy. So she went to ask her manager if we could do that. Manager said "no." Hubby tried to make a deal in the parking lot with the family, but they decided just to keep the 6. We already have 3 hens of our own and 10 - 12 wild hens. We really do not need another 6! Now we need to make a special trip to see the lady that sold us our original set of hens a nice, short 30 minute drive to her house! Jeeeeez!

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 am

I think I'd ask myself, are those 2 hens really worth 1 in the head. lol.
Last edited by commandermack on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eboli2x4
Forum Regular

Unread post by Eboli2x4 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Why not get some fertile eggs and hatch them yourself? I've hatched many with a home made incubator. Lots of fun when they hatch. 21 days....

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Then you could set up a hen-cam and be the next internet sensation with millions of people tweeting about it all day every day... sigh.

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Okay, so just a little background. Our (my wife and I) daughter, Mars, is having her birthday in a few weeks and we are all working together to get her a kitten to replace her last one that has ostracized itself from our house (long story). So anyway, my wife got a call from our kid's school that our youngest (kindergatener) was not feeling well. My wife made her way to the school and talked to the nurse in the sick room. When confronting our daughter, my wife made a comment to her about getting her backpack to head home. With not so much as a bat of an eyelash, her eyes got as big as saucers and she said, "Can we go see the kitten!?"
The little shit.
She eventually admitted that she was faking and want back to class.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:24 am

I think Ashton Kutcher said it best, "You just got Punk'd!"

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:25 am

This morning as I was waking up, I could swear I smelled a peanut butter sandwich. I did not give it much thought at first and dozed off again. When I decided to get out of bed, there was a peanut butter sandwich under the covers with me. Thanks, David! Not what I think of when I think of breakfast in bed! Luckily I did not roll on it!

Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:16 pm

All names were changed to protect the innocent.

Ok, so I was training a new guy at work (John)...
Me: Clean all of the generator parts you can reach: the rotor, around the bearings, and don't forget to clean the henway.
John: Ok. What's a henway?
Me: ABOUT TEN POUNDS!
Everybody: LOLs :lol:

Another new guy was a Mexican dude (Miguel)
Miguel: Have you seen Buns?
Me: :?: Hot dog buns or hamburger buns?
Miguel: No, Buns. Not buns.
Me: Um, whut?
Miguel: You know, Wobbet Buns.
Me: You mean Robert Burns???!!! He'll be back after lunch.

Later:
Me (using my best 20-year old Spanish lessons): Can you say "Roberto"?
Miguel: Roberto
Me: Then why can't you say "Robert"?
Miguel: I guess I have an Engwish wisp.
Error: This signature no verb.

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:37 am

I try really hard to log in to Paradox everyday to take care of a few things and to make sure that I use enough turns so the I do not waste them due to the max cap. Last night I logged in and brought my turns down and when I woke up I had the same number of turns left. It took me a second to realize that it had been a long day and I did not get a chance to log in till after Intermission.

Bummer that I ended up wasting some turns, but funny that I got myself in my own little time warp without realizing it.

:-)

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 am

JazzyCat wrote: funny that I got myself in my own little time warp without realizing it.

:-)

Let's do the Time Warp agaaaaain!!! :P

Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Ok, so I had just finished an assembly, and I went to check on a cow-orker, Alex (a huge Bear Grylls fan).
Me: Do you need any help?
Alex: Yeah, can you take over this assembly for a few minutes? I have to use the bathroom.
Me: How can you say that while wearing a Bear Grylls jacket?? Do you know what Bear Grylls would do in this situation?
Alex: Of course. he would poo into a plastic bag and save all of the moisture...
Me: (hands Alex a plastic bag)
Alex: :?
Me: LOL, jk
Error: This signature no verb.

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:54 am

So I was thumbing through the pages of Pommies And Bushies Quarterly, when I happened on a story about Gobberwart. Wow, does his fame (infamy?) have no bounderies? The story was in the issue dated 13 November 2012, for those of you who want to check it out. He lost a no-confidence vote, when, as chairman of the local bird fanciers club, he nicked his shiela's lipstick and used it in a prolonged and rather public attempt to convince a red-capped robin to be his partner at a swingers party.
I just don't know whether or not to believe this! Does anyone closer to home have more details?