Paradox! Pressie Swap 2008

Anything that doesn't fit in any other forum.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

Paradox! Pressie Swap 2008

Unread post by ElljaeT » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:18 pm

As part of the 2008 Paradox! Christmas Party, I am running the Paradox! Pressie Swap. This is an anonymous Secret Santa or Kris Kringle style present exchange.

For those of you who have never participated in a Secret Santa or Kris Kringle before, it works like this:

1. You need to register your intent to participate by PMailling ElljaeT (#2). This is to be done no later than intermission on Saturday 29th November 2008.

2. The list of participants will be shuffled and you will be sent a PMail informing you of who you should buy a gift for. This person will hereby be referred to as your 'giftee'. At the same time your name will be forwarded on to someone else for them to buy a gift for you. Your giftee is to remain a secret at all times. This is an anonymous pressie swap. You should receive the name of your giftee by Monday 1st December 2008.

3. Once you have received your PMail identifying who you are buying for, you have to send your gift back to ElljaeT (#2) no later than Tuesday 16th December 2008.

4. Gifts will be distributed to giftees during the Paradox Christmas Party on Saturday December 20th 2008.

Some conditions:

a. I mentioned above that this is an anonymous pressie swap so don't tell your giftee that you are buying for them, particularly before the event. It spoils the surprise and takes the fun out of it.

b. If you don't submit a gift, the gift that was intended for you will be given to the person you were supposed to give one to and you will get nothing.

c. The point of the Paradox! Pressie Swap is to have fun and to give thoughtful and witty gifts to other players. It is not to see who can blow the biggest budget.

d. I reserve the right to add any other conditions I may have omitted at any given time.

Participants
I will be listing registered participants here. If you don't see your name on the list withing 48 hours of submitting it, it is probable that I haven't received your registration.

Gobberwart
unknownZ
SportGuy
Impalix
eL_JoEy
JazzyCat
Stroby
Spiff
Grokly
soaK
art_bohemia
Right2Wrong2000
jupider
BeastyClaire
ShadowWolf
Sallyfox
Winsome_Lost
McFeisty
Reenix
carettta

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

Re: Paradox! Pressie Swap 2008

Unread post by ElljaeT » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that you have one more week left to register :-)

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

Unread post by ElljaeT » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Ok, so it took a little longer than I expected to match up giftors with giftees for the Pressie Swap. It is done now and the Pmails have been distributed. If you have not received yours please let me know.

I have extended the date for returning your gifts to me due to the fact that I was late matching people up. You now have until intermission on Tuesday 16th December.

If you are reading this and you are wishing you had registered, Pmail your interest to me in game and if I get more than one person interested then I will be able to include you in the festivities.

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

Unread post by ElljaeT » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Just a little reminder that you have 3 days left to send your gifts in to my by pmailling Elljaet (#2)

If you don't get your gifts in you will be eliminated from the pressie swap and the gift that was intended for you will be given to the person you were supposed to get a gift for.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:31 pm

OK, so when I entered this thing, I thought - what in the world will my pressie partner come up with. I mean, what do you get for the guy who literally has everything (in game) and can make anything he wants. Well, let me tell you, my pressie partner blew me away with his/her creativity, and I just HAD to post it here for you all to enjoy.

To begin with, I got the following message from Elljae, with a bottle of cheap wine attached:

Code: Select all

A loud knocking suddenly turns your attention away from the Christmas Party and towards the front door. You scratch your head, wondering what could be out there that isn’t already in here? Beer, boobs, babes...then it hits you. Oh boy! Your Christmas Pressie must finally be here!

Making your way quickly towards the door, you find yourself opening it to find a rather lanky and inebriated bird wearing a porter’s hat and holding what seems to be an empty cloth bundle. “Congra -hic- congra -hic- congratulations. You’re a mother.” Well, this is awkward. Before you can say a word, the stork’s reddened eyes widen a bit in shock. “Oh jeez, this CAN’T be right. You’re -hic- you’re not going to believe this but -hic- but I think I dropped off your present to the wrong family. They really did it this year, making -hic- making me deliver stuff other than babies. At least they didn’t send the swallows. Can’t even -hic- even carry a coconut.” You don’t seem to be paying much attention seeing as how this winged weirdo just mentioned swallows (heh, swallows), but the thought of your Pressie in the hands of some other person snaps you out of it. Well, until you see something shiny or an ice cream truck drives by or, “I think -hic- I think I left it with SportGuy. He at least invited me in for a bit -hic- for a bit of Christmas cheer.” Assimilating the information, you notice the stork pull out some cheap bottle of spirits from what you thought had been an empty bundle. Before he can put the drink to his lips, though, you pry it from his cold, flustered feathers and trudge out into the wild white yonder to find your gift.

Hell, you’re going to need it more than he does.

(Speak with SportGuy for the next exciting chapter!) 
Oooooooh, so then I spoke to SportGuy, who sent me this, with a sturdy gold ring attached:

After several steps and several sips, you suddenly remember that everyone is back at your house for the Christmas Party and here you are, freezing your pumpkin seeds off for nothing. Go you.

Trudging past the stork and shutting the door rather abruptly in his face, you’re a little frustrated at this point. At least the wine makes a welcome new guest. Back at party central, you schmooze around until SportGuy comes into view. He’s chatting it up with some good-looking women over on the Loser Couch and NOT being beaten over the head after every sarcastic comment. Merry Christmas to him. You march over to SportGuy with half-empty bottle in hand, demanding to know where your gift is. After a moment, he seems to realize what you’re going on about. “I didn’t know it was yours, man. I traded it off to Grokly for a couple of gold rings. You know, for the ladies. Nothing says Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus quite like eight maids a milking, right?” Giving you a quick wink wink nudge nudge, SportGuy hands you an extra ring and gets back to doing...well, you don’t really want to think about it right now.

(Ready to go bother Grokly about this whole mess? Get to it!) 
Teeheee! Fun fun fun! So, off to see Grokly, who sent me this, with a chunk of Groklinite ore:

Sticking the bottle in your pocket and the ring to your lips...wait. Strike that. Reverse it. Anyways, you’re pretty off your rocker physically and mentally by this point, but you manage to slide across the room in what everyone has shrugged off as a pleasant holiday stupor. What was in that bottle, anyhow?

You don’t take much time to think about it (thinking never was a favorite hobby of yours) before spying a plump, jolly looking figure off in the corner of the room. He’s old, filled to the brim with stuffing and handing out coal to all the naughty partygoers within reach. Why, it must be the big guy himself! It isn’t until you stumble over for a closer look that you realize it’s only Grokly in a Santa suit. Even better! Before you can even explain the predicament, he pulls you in close with a sound pat on the back. At least it wasn’t a friendly spank on the rump, but this situation is awkward enough in its own way. “I just want to say one word to you - just one word...after those three...and those three...damnit! Ok...just one word. Groklinite Ore.” You’re about to protest that the aforementioned word was actually two words, but you sigh instead and simply give in. “Exactly how do you mean?” you ask curiously. “There’s a great future in Groklinite Ore. Think about it. Will you think about it?”

“Well, I guess I will, but...”

“Shh. Enough said. That’s a deal.” And without a moment’s notice, he slips you a piece of ore. Or coal. Whichever one fills you more with Christmas cheer, you naughty boy. As you reminisce over this year’s array of personal dirty deeds, Grokly puts a finger to his nose with a wry grin. Damn, that’s creepy. “Almost forgot. You should go find Impalix. She said she had something special to give you.”

(Oh God, not again! You know what to do...) 
LOL LOL LOL! By this stage, I was pretty certain I knew who my partner was, but I'm not going to spoil it. Suffice it to say that Impy sent me the following:

By now, your bottle is running on completely empty and so is your patience. You want your Christmas Pressie and you want it now-OH! Oh ho ho...Well now...

You spy Impalix well situated in the center of the party, dressed only in her Devil’s Advocates and passing out some very sensual kisses under the mistletoe. Any doubts you had of not rolling out a Christmas outfit this year seem to dry up immediately and, looking her up and down a couple times, you’re a bit disappointed that only 97 words for boobs are coming into your head. It doesn’t matter, though - that outfit is enough to make any rack look real (sounding real, though, is a completely different story). Bumbling over in drunken fashion, she sees you coming and pulls you into a warm hug complete with several [squee]s of joy. “Thanks for playing my little game, hun.” she half whispers in your ear. “Are you ready for your surprise? Merry Christmas.” Giving you a long, luxurious kiss, Impy pulls a blueprint out of her...whoa...and hands it to you. It seems some assembly is required.

Name: Outfront Steakshack Menu

Description: This appears to be a colourful menu adorned with fancy tribal shapes and headed with the catchy (and family friendly) slogan of “No Roo? Will do.” Features include overpriced appetizers, red meat indigenous to countries halfway around the globe and clever spin-offs of normal foods in order to make them sound more appealing to the general theme, including ‘Cheeky Calamari’, the snack that snickers back. If nothing looks that appealing, you could always order a straight-up salad. Not that salads hold any kind of specific orientation...

Type: Documentation

Can not be discarded
Can not be traded

Enjoy Your custom item and Merry Christmas! <3 
I can't quite tell you just how awesome a gift that is. Thank you SO much to the person who came up with this... Ok, it was quite obviously Impy, but I'm not going to say that here. Damn.

Oh yeah, then she made me go make the custom item and it's in my showcase if you want to take a look.

Merry Christmas :)

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:18 am

It was fun being a part of that. :D
Perhaps some time in the future, we may even see an Outfront Steakshack restaurant in Paradox.

Also, thank you VERY much to my pressie-swap partner. The day of realizing my total world domination of the Groklinite Ore market is now that much closer.
muahahahahahaha.

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 am

I would also love to say thankyou to my prezzie swap person. I got the Freddy outfit and it is a very nice shiny for my SC. Thankyou so very much and please tell me who you are via Pmail. :)

MrsO

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks to my pressie partner...my gift was both thoughtful and appropriate. It was a great party..had fun giving and receiving. Running the contests and participating in them yesterday with you guys was a blast. The radio show was also great thanks to all who made that a success mas, grok, art, gob and ell...and if i'm missing anyone there please slap me. Happiest holidays and warmest wishes guys.

Impalix
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Impalix » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Words cannot express how pleased I was with the party last night. Everyone was festive, fun and so enjoyable crammed in that little chat pane together.

Gobb, you're so SO welcome. You deserved everything you got.

And to my secret santa, it wasn't shiny, but your gift was wonderful and it made me smile and I LOVE YOU -hugs-

Merry Christmas everyone!

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Yup......Im one happy fox/frog! :D

It was a great party. My thanks to all that made it what it was.

In contests, Ive written a view on it...... check it out.

Thank you people of paradox

xoxoxox

eL JoEy
Forum Addict

Unread post by eL JoEy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:54 pm

I'd like to say thanks too!
Thanks to my gifters!!! I'm really happy with what I got :) and I mean really!
and
The Party was really great! I had alot of fun :D
-Joey

stroby
Forum Addict

Unread post by stroby » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:43 pm

I would like to take this little bit of space to say thank you to my gifter :) very much liked :) I'm sorry I couldnt come to the party but I'm glad that it pulled off well

Spiff
Wikinatrix

Unread post by Spiff » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:23 am

I would like to thank my gifter for the awesome pressie!! I mean it! Thankyou sooooo much
The Spiff

soaK
Forum Addict

Unread post by soaK » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:42 am

*big soppy hogs and kisses to my gifter*

Now I can have a spaghetti breakfast every day, with all those rubber tentacles! *wink wink, nudge nudge*
And if I survive that I can spend several lives in a lab now, what with all that equipment :-)

THANK YOU!
Nunc id vides - nunc ne vides.

Topic author
ElljaeT
Developer

Unread post by ElljaeT » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:01 am

I would just like to pop in here and say thanks to all of you guys for joining in. It wouldn't have happened without you. Thanks for all the fun.

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:27 am

It was an awesome party! Best 8 hours of my day! ;-)
I had a ton of fun chatting and playing all sorts of games with you guys.

I loved my gift. Thanks for being so thoughtful!

And thanks to everyone for just being themselves!

Mele Kelikimaka.
God Jul.
Feliz Navidad.
Merry Christmas.
Happy Hanukkah.
Happy Holidays.

And happy today if you do not celebrate anything this time of year.

Many hugs to all and to all a good night.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:01 pm

I just wanted to give a somewhat belated "Thank you, thank you, thank you" to my gifter, whomever you may be, I greatly appreciate it!
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."