Possible Greasemonkey Script?

Anything that doesn't fit in any other forum.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Possible Greasemonkey Script?

Unread post by genghizcohen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:04 pm

I have no experience working with greasemonkey (or any coding at all, really) but I was wondering: How difficult would it be to create a greasemonkey script that records the choices you make on choice adventures, and picks that choice every time you encounter the adventure again? Like I said, I don't know much about greasemonkey, but this seems like it would make farming a lot less tedious.
Genghizcohen, leader of the bronze horde.

stroby
Forum Addict

Re: Possible Greasemonkey Script?

Unread post by stroby » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:25 pm

I have very little experience with GM, but what I do know is if you don't know exactly what your doing the most simplest of tasks become impossible. If you do know then you can rattle off stuff in minuets with one hand free for an ice cool beverage.

Topic author
genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Unread post by genghizcohen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:04 pm

I would definitely go in the former group.

stroby
Forum Addict

Unread post by stroby » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:34 am

me too

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Just a few notes from the dev team regarding Greasemonkey scripts, regardless of who creates them:

1. Consider whether you should write a script, or whether it might be better to put it in the Suggestions forum (or suggest it to the devs another way) first, because it might be something that would be useful for a LOT of players, and we might be able to include it in the game itself.

2. Be VERY careful not to put unnecessary load on the server. For example, if you write a script that goes and pulls a ton of information from various pages every time you do something, it could actually cause real problems in terms of load, resulting in delays for all players. I've seen a lot of greasemonkey scripts that do this sort of thing, and let me tell you, they hurt everybody.

3. Anything that automates adventuring (ie. selecting a choice for the player) hurts out hearts a bit. We spend a LOT of time coming up with content and it's a bit sad to know that some players will choose not to see it. I'm not saying we won't allow it, because we will (and really there's nothing we could do about it anyway), but I just wanted to make you feel guilty :)

Topic author
genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Unread post by genghizcohen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for the info, Gobb. I have to say though, the only real reason I want this script in the first place is the cafeteria. I know the idea behind the gambling aspect of the cafeteria, and overall I agree with it. my problem with it, though is that it's very difficult to farm there with all the multi choice adventures. If you want to spend a lot of time there, it gets very old, very quick. All I'm asking for is something to make the cafeteria a bit less monotonous, to (what I believe would be) the benefit of all.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm

My concern would be having people decide to create multis that would use said script to farm for stuff and then send the ill-gotten gains to their main. Which would be multi-abuse and would cause me to have to spank people, and I hate doing that.

Other than that, I can't see a massive problem with someone putting something like that together, if people want it. Think of it as Paradoxmafia v0.0.1 :)

Topic author
genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Unread post by genghizcohen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:34 pm

that would be pretty sucky Gobb, but I still think it could be helpful for a lot of people. Now to convince someone to make it...