FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Need to find out how to do something? Here's the place to ask for help.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Q: I tried to register but I never got my activation email. What do I do?
Sometimes, an Internet Service Provider or email program will identify activation emails as spam and will either quarantine or reject them. If I receive a bounce message, I will generally attempt to manually send the information to you, however this usually doesn't happen. The first thing you should do is check any "spam" or "junk email" folders, to see if the activation message has been quarantined. If so, just open it from there and follow the link. If not, please contact us using the "contact us" form on the game login page. Include a brief message explaining what happened, and include both the username and email address you used to sign up. We will try to fix it up asap.

Q: I get an error message whenever I do XYZ action. Is that normal?
A: Almost certainly not. If you see the same error several times, and it's not listed in the "known issues" thread or in this list, chances are there's a bug we don't know about. Please report it either in the Bug Reports forum, or through the in-game "Report A Bug" link.

Q: How do I change my game password?
A: In the game, go to the "Account" menu and click "Profile". In the first section ("Basic Information") enter your new password, then enter it again to confirm it, then your current password (to verify your identity), and click "Submit".

Q: How do I change my game username?
A: For reasons that should be fairly obvious, players are not permitted to change their own usernames in game. However, if you have a good reason for wanting to do so, please send an in-game mail message to me (Gobberwart - #1) with details of your request and I will assess the request and, if approved, make the change for you.

Q: How do I change my game player id?
A: You don't. Absolutely everything you do in game is linked together by your player id (PID), and changing it is a) time consuming and b) extremely risky.

Q: How do I get a Token of Appreciation?
A: Tokens are given as rewards to anyone who donates at least $10 to the game. You know, as a token of our appreciation. One Token is given for each $10 donated in a single transaction (1 for $10, 2 for $20 etc.).

Q: I donated, but I never received a reward! What happened?
A: The two most likely reasons for this are either you didn't donate at least $10 US or you didn't click the "Continue" button on Paypal after donating. It could also just be that something went wrong - the paypal donation system is great but susceptible to variations in browser configuration, security settings etc. If you did donate at least $10 US, and you haven't received anything, please send an email to donations@paradoxthemusical.com or p-mail in game to Gobberwart with your transaction ID, paypal email address, player name and amount, and we'll sort it out for you.

Q: I ran out of turns, I can't eat or drink any more, etc. What do I do?
A: Each day, at midnight (Paradox time), something called "Intermission" occurs. During this time (it takes a couple of minutes), the game is put into a special "maintenance" mode, and a number of tasks are performed, including giving everyone additional turns (50 per day, to a maximum of 250), emptying players' stomachs and bladders (you don't want to know) and doing other important stuff, like backing up the database. As soon as Intermission is over, you can log back in and keep playing.

Q: I sent an in-game mail message to another player, and it said it was sent, but I don't think I filled in the To: address. What happened?
A: Paradox is mindful of the fact that people *may* want to send the same message to other people, so it helpfully(?) clears the To field, ready for you to add a new recipient. If you hadn't filled in the To: field, you would've seen an error message to that effect, so if it says it sent successfully, then you can rest assured that it did.

Q: Whenever I try to make multiples of a recipe, it says those items don't combine to make anything good. Is there a bug?
A: No, it's not a bug, but it is a common mistake. When you combine items, there are two boxes, one lists the ingredients you have available, and one lists the ingredients you've selected to make a <whatever it is you're trying to make>. If you want to make more than one of something, increasing the number of ingredients won't do it, because then you're changing the recipe into something that doesn't exist. Instead, simply specify the number of ingredients required to make ONE of <whatever>, and then enter the quantity you want to make in the "Quantity:" box below the list of ingredients.

Q: If that's a common mistake, why don't you change it?
A: Because there may be recipes (in fact definitely will be recipes) where changing the number of ingredients makes a totally different recipe, or even just a larger version of the same recipe.

Q: I use Internet Explorer/Safari/Opera/Chrome and X thing doesn't work the same as it does for everyone else! Can you fix it?
A: This game is predominantly written to be 100% compliant with the Firefox web browser. Once we know that works, we test on Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Unfortunately, not all browsers are created equal, and some things that can be done in one don't always work the same (or at all) in others. We've done everything we can to ensure cross-browser compatibility, but occasionally there may still be some things that don't work exactly the way you'd like them to. If it's a major problem, by all means report a bug and we'll check it out, but if it's a minor annoyance only, you will either need to live with it or switch to Firefox.

Q: I think I found a bug. What do I do?
A: Check the game updates, these forums or with other people in chat to see if the bug's already been reported. If not, use the "Report a Bug" link under the "Mail" menu in game to let the developers know. When reporting a bug, include as much information as possible, including exact details of how to reproduce the bug as well as information on your browser and anything else you can think of that may be relevant. Whatever you do, don't assume we know about any given bug (we'll usually post an update if we do) and DEFINITELY don't exploit the bug to your advantage or encourage others to do so.

Q: How can I become a chat moderator / dev team member?
A: If we need more chat moderators or dev team members, we will look at people who've been active in-game and on the forums, evaluate their suitability for the role and approach those people directly, so your best chance of becoming either is to be someone we're likely to notice and think is suitable. Asking any existing moderator or developer if you can be one is extremely unlikely to receive a positive response, and is in fact likely to hurt your chances. So don't do it.

Q: If I open a second copy of Paradox in another browser window/tab, things are weird.
A: Yes, they are. Paradox is NOT designed to work that way and things are likely to look odd and behave strangely if you do it. It's nothing major, but things you do in one window won't necessarily be reflected in the other one until you refresh, and it could get confusing. We're not working to fix this "bug" because it's not a bug, it's just a fact of life. The best advice is just not to do it.

Q: My question isn't answered here, what can I do?
A: FAQs are added to this list as we realise that they're being frequently asked, however there is a ton of other information available on the Official Paradox! The Musical Wiki at http://www.paradoxwiki.com. Seriously, check it out! You can also ask people in the in-game chat, however be careful because spoilers are strictly forbidden in chat, and you run the risk of irritating people if you're constantly asking questions that could be easily answered by simply searching the Wiki.

Q: Sometimes the site background looks blue. Sometimes it looks green. Sometimes it's a kind of cack-brown colour. What gives?
A: Magic.

That's pretty much it for now. I'll try and update this as questions come up.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:18 pm

FAQ Updated

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:41 pm

Added the following two FAQs:

Q: Whenever I try to make multiples of a recipe, it says those items don't combine to make anything good. Is there a bug?
A: No, it's not a bug, but it is a common mistake. When you combine items, there are two boxes, one lists the ingredients you have available, and one lists the ingredients you've selected to make a <whatever it is you're trying to make>. If you want to make more than one of something, increasing the number of ingredients won't do it, because then you're changing the recipe into something that doesn't exist. Instead, simply specify the number of ingredients required to make ONE of <whatever>, and then enter the quantity you want to make in the "Quantity:" box below the list of ingredients.

Q: If that's a common mistake, why don't you change it?
A: Because there may be recipes (in fact definitely will be recipes) where changing the number of ingredients makes a totally different recipe, or even just a larger version of the same recipe.