Empty Portable Closet

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Empty Portable Closet

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Empty Portable Closet

This is a portable closet! As cool as that may sound, it's rather small. Oh well, at least it can fit a few shirts and pants. There is also a container for a weapon, if you feel the need to abide by the 30 foot rule.
Can be traded
Can be stashed
Can be gifted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is it?

Basically, this is a token shop item that is simple and will increase in usefulness and value over time when more weapons, shirts, and pants are made. Its primary use is for reset, although there may be some other use (none that I can think of at the moment, however). It can hold up to 3 shirts, 3 pants, and 1 weapon.

When shirts, pants, or a weapon is put in the closet, it turns into the item Portable Closet. The description is the same, but it cannot be traded or gifted, so people don't get confused. Of course, this item raises another problem. What happens when you get two of them? This is fixed by a "Oh No You Di'n't!" message that appears when you try to use two Portable Closets at once. The message is: "You're already carrying a Portable Closet! You can't possibly carry two of them at once!" This also makes the item more balanced. Being able to pull 6 shirts, 6 pants, and 2 weapons at the cost of 2 pulls is maybe a bit too overpowered, even for a token shop item. 3 shirts, 3 pants, and 1 weapon for 5 turns and 100 moolah is still good, however you have to plan the run more. You have to stock the closet ahead of time.

How do you know what is in it? Good question, there is an "examine" button next to the use button (used to store clothing in the closet). The examine button quickly lists all the items in the closet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References

There is only one, but this is just an idea. Obviously it can be modified extensively. The reference is from the TV show "Chuck", where the "30 foot rule" is a guideline for spies. They should always have a weapon within 30 feet, no matter where they are.

In closing, I think this is a good token shop item because 1: It is simple, 2: It is good but not TOO good, 3: It is useful in resets, 4: It has good investment potential because like the Karmic Chameleon belt, when new pants with new bonuses are released, its value increases. The Empty Portable Closet is similar to this, as whenever new shirts, pants, and weapons are released, its value increases.

I am pretty sure this type of item-player variable instances (not sure the correct type of name) is possible, but if not, then :(

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: Empty Portable Closet

Unread post by jupider » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Hmm. I don't know which way to critique this. On one hand, it is a very interesting idea. Personally, I could see an item like a suitcase that could just hold up to X of any equipment items (not trying to steal your thunder here, cowboy).

On the other hand, the whole reason for reset restrictions is to make you strategize what particular items you want/need to pull. Having an item that basically gives you X-1 free pulls somewhat negates that.

Maybe when you visit your room you could have a closet there that is only unlocked while you are under reset restrictions that can hold one outfit that stays in there when you do reset. That way, you'd have an outfit available to you from the get-go, but you'd need to re-stock it for your next run before your restrictions are lifted, so either something you pay to pull or something you acquire through normal game-play goes in there. And if you forget to restock it, you're just SOL until your next reset. Granted, you could just burn one run and put a high-power outfit in it and restock it for all of your subsequent runs, but there could always be a way to prevent that: "Hmm. You already took that item out of your closet. Why don't you stick something different in there?"

[/threadjack]

Anyway, I guess I do like the idea. If it's done right and doesn't give donating players an unfair advantage (If it does become an LE). Especially for the leaderboards.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:42 pm

See, I don't think it's too good. It's something I would value and would certainly get to reset faster, but I reckon it only would save me a few turns (10 or 15) because I'd only put maybe st. patties bra, pants, and xphone in it. So it'd save me 10 in that scenario. Pulling a whole outfit would be rediculous, like my spelling of the work ridiculous.

Maybe it would have a lock on it that gets jammed when it is pulled, and you have to pay a locksmith to unlock it? The cost could be something like 400 moolah per item.
Last edited by Cowboy on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zammorak
Forum Addict

Unread post by Zammorak » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Item-player variable instances, as you call them, would not be possible without major changes to the code. At least I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Gobb say that once. Send him a link of the thread and see what he has to say to be sure. Other than that it sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 pm

I am pretty sure they are possible, as this game is better than KoL and KoL has them (Think gift packages)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:01 pm

While it's true that specific instances of items with variable attributes are tricky, there are ways I can see around the problem. Look at the Stuf-Stik for example. That appears in your inventory as an item, but you can only have one and it "contains" all your leftovers from the previous run.

KoL's gift packages are another example. I haven't seen their code (oh I wish!) but I can imagine how they've done it and could do something similar if there's a need.

As to whether or not it's actually a good idea, and something we'd implement... It's certainly something to think about.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for the response, Gobb. So what you're saying is it's hard to code, but possible?

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 pm

honestly, i think this is uncalled for. The pulls are pretty unfair as it is in my opinion... and adding something to get around it just seems like another thing to avoid altering it. The way pulling stuff is now, 100 moolah and 5 turns, just seems bad long-term. In a reset, anything you would pull now, like AH or a type of food, you wouldn't pull later on. Because you would have moolah at that point. why waste 5 turns, when you can use those 5 turns to get like 2,500 moolah, saving you 100 moolah, and gaining stats long-term. And equipment and stuff you would pull, you could also buy, with the way the game is setup. You can buy stuff from stores, making paying the incredibly high price to pull stuff not worth it past maybe like 4 items. After more content is added giving a longer time to need to be in a run. Making something like this would just defeat needing to pull anything, past itself, if it even needs to be pulled. I can't see AHs, costing more than 2K after there is a player base of people farming the stuff because it is the only thing in the game that sells. lol.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:49 am

AHs at 2k.... :mrgreen:

But really, I think it is fine as 5 turns and 100 moolah. It makes you think about pulling and think "Which item is more important in this run?"

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:05 am

Yeah, Cowboy, i can see them going lower than that with enough players fighting over whose is going to sell. lol.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:28 am

What? Sorry I don't understand, Mack.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:20 am

Cowboy wrote:What? Sorry I don't understand, Mack.
If very few players are selling one particular item, they could charge a high amount for it since there is little competition. If hundereds or even thousands of players are all selling one particular item, there is a battle for the lowest price (undercutting) to the point where the market "bottoms out." At this point it is 100% likely that the item will be purchased in a very short amount of time, meaning you would need to price your item slightly above the "bottomed out" price in an attempt to get more for it.

I'm not sure if you play Kingdom of Loathing, but when new items are rolled out, they sell for millions of meat when only a few players have them. When more players start getting them, they steadily drop until it gets to a stopping point; the point at which the masses are willing to pay for it and the sellers are willing to charge for it.

[/economics 101]

Now, let's get back to the topic, please.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:56 am

Oh, I just didn't understand what he was replying to. Thought he was talking about the closet... :lol:

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:57 am

Oh, I just didn't understand what he was replying to. Thought he was talking about the closet... :lol: