Chat Pane Position

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Where do you want the chat pane?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Bottom (where it is now)
14%
Right-hand side
71%
Left-hand side
No votes
Somewhere else (please post details)
14%

Total votes: 7

Topic author
Roundchild
Forum Noob

Chat Pane Position

Unread post by Roundchild » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 am

If I may add my own comment to this discussion...

I would strongly suggest that in-game chat is placed vertically (to either left or right side). As it is now, it allows for only 6 lines, and most of it's length is and will remain unused - and the ability to read what people recently said in a fast-flowing chat is more important than the ability to read long sentences unbroken. Once this game and it's chat gets more populated, following discussions will get harder and harder to do, and listening to multiple channels will be impossible.

For what it's worth, I speak from experience. A friend of mine tried to make his own variant of TOG a year ago, with the same bottom-chat layout. Even at a peak of mere 6 people active in chat the chat became hard to follow.

That was a minor project with only few RL friends registered. This is (or at least aims to be) a full game with large membership. Even if the in-game chat is to be only a substitution, or a crutch for those who wont/can't use the discussed pop-up chat, I feel it will be too awkward to use.

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Chat System - Suggestions

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Fair enough, and something I've vaguely considered doing. So far I haven't because nobody's really said anything about it. Personally, I always use the popup chat, and I'm not aware there's anyone who can't use that if they're heavy chatters. Of course, I don't really play the game while chatting so my own experience isn't necessarily a good one.

You are aware, though, that the chat pane can be resized by using your mouse to drag the separating line up or down? That way it can be as large or as small as you want.

Nonetheless, if people want it moved, I'll move it. So... What do other people think?

EDIT: I've split this into a separate topic and added a poll. Please vote if you have an opinion.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Re: Chat Pane Position

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

You can make it bigger, but it makes the rest of the game squashed. I think a lot of people use the pop-out chat, something I never understood. If you're chatting and playing, it's much easier to have it on the right hand side.

I recommend making the right hand side the default and the bottom (or even left side) an option.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Just my $0.02: I like it at the bottom. Using Gobb's suggestion, I've moved the divider up a bit. I also run at a high screen resolution (1600x1200) and keep my browser on a small font size. Even with the divider moved up, there's still plenty of room for adventure stuff.

Personally, I like it the way it is, especially being able to type out long, unbroken thoughts, and I actually prefer it over the setup of TOG, which seems to force you to try and keep things short and sweet.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:31 pm

That's why I think it should be optional.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:51 am

lol, to be different from all the other voters... lol, i simply want to see the chat panel in the middle verticly. xD lol. Between character data and adventure panels. xD with the option to drag the chat panel basicly into disappearance by adjusting the sides. IDK. :P just being different. ignore me. xD

Topic author
Roundchild
Forum Noob

Unread post by Roundchild » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:07 am

Just a quick question, not trying to be nitpicky - would it be possible to allow the player to choose whether the pop-up chat opens in a new window (as is now) or a new tab?

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:44 pm

The results of the poll were fairly underwhelming. Sure, right-hand side wins 5 to 1 over bottom, but 7 responses total is hardly conclusive and I suspect most people don't really care, which means rushing to change it is probably not a great idea.

That said, providing an *option* for chat to be placed at the bottom OR at the side seems pretty reasonable, and that's what I'll do at some point, along with providing an option to open popup chat in a new tab or window to suit your preference.

Of course, this isn't going to happen in the next five minutes. It'll go on the list and I'll attend to it once everything else is out of the way. In the meantime, it's something that could be done via greasemonkey if anyone's so inclined.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.