Skills listed by remaining duration

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Skills listed by remaining duration

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:29 am

Read the Topic. :P

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Re: Skills listed by remaining duration

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 am

Do you mean effects?

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:18 am

obviously. >.>

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Here's an idea: How about a little progress bar under the effect that shows the approximate percentage of remaining turns. For example, say you have 200 turns remaining to play and you have 100 turns of any particular effect, there would be a bar filled to the 50% mark. And, after you adventured for, say, around 80 turns, you'd have 120 turns remaining and 20 turns of said particular effect, so the bar would be filled to the 16.67% mark. Obviously, as you spend turns, the bar would slowly drop. This would give you a very clear look at how soon your effect would run out.
The whole entire effect system could be re-imagined for Paradox! Instead of gaining X turns, you would fill X percent of the progress bar. The more you spent turns, the more the bar would drop. Also, the more the bar is filled, the greater the effect would have. For instance, if you had some form of +item drop effect and the bar was at 100%, you would have a better chance of gaining items than if the bar was at 10%. Also, for the buff-crazies, you could have effects drop off after a certain percentage (like at 90%--I can hear the anti-micromanagers all scream in unison--Mwahahahahah!!!)
Anyway, I could go on for a while on how to make a system like this. Let me know what you all think about it.
</threadjack>
And yes, I think effects should be listed from shortest to longest duration (I guess I honestly never noticed that they didn't, though)
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 pm

@Mack: Ascending or descending (less turns first or most turns first)?

@jupider: Hmmm, that's intense and I'm not entirely sure how useful it is. It definitely means a bunch more "stuff" in the charpane, which is already fairly full, especially with 20 or so active effects. Second, it's a percentage of your remaining turns... as a visual cue it's a bit misleading then, because... well, if you have 300 turns left, but only 10 turns of an effect, the bar is going to be only at around 3%, but if you have 50 turns of an effect but only 5 turns left for the day, it'd be at.. what, 1000%? I'm not saying you're wrong - it's actually an interesting idea - I just don't quite get how this would be useful to the majority of players. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 pm

First off, I apologize to mack for completely stealing his thread. (Really, I am sorry)
But I think if you had more turns remaining than turns available the bar would just merely be filled to 100% (indicating you could go the rest of your turns without it running out) And as for filling up the charpane... well, I don't know exacltly... maybe a system that drains the bars faster the more effects you have active? ...or a method of limiting how many effects/buffs you have active at a time (this could introduce an element of strategy not seen in ToG: Rather than just spamming yourself with every good effect in the game for an absurd advantage, have a limit so you would need to pick-and-choose exactly which effects you want active for the particular goal you're attempting.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Anyone else have thoughts on this (any of it)?

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:37 am

Less turns first. :P so you know what is running out first.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 am

The progress bar thing seems like it would be misleading (imo). You could have say 1 turn less of an effect than turns you have... and it would basicly say 100%, but it would never fall below 50% till you completely lost it... seems kind-of like it would cause confusion or extra work having to check turn count then effects to see if you have enough for the day.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:45 pm

commandermack wrote:Less turns first. :P so you know what is running out first.
Cool. I'll get that into beta.