Freshman Survival Package.

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Ragazi
Forum Addict

Freshman Survival Package.

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:46 am

This would be a gift package for every new player/account in it would include. (When Implements everyone in the game currently should also get one).
DISCLAIMER: I am not a programmer so I do not know how much of an issue the game mechanics will be to do this.

- 1 days worth of newbie food. (Dixon's Choconut Bars?)
- 1 days worth of newbie drink. (Dixon's Juice Boxes?)
- 1 Souvenir Ball Cap (Def 5, Bonus +1 to all stats)
- 1 Paradox Collectible Key chain (Att: 4)
- 1 Yewley* Gamma-Ray Spectacles (Bling. Effect: Will I get whupped*)

*Yewley - A play on Oakley glasses. Oak is a hard wood tree, Yew is another.
*Effect: Will I get whupped? - This color codes the (1) next to the name of an area you can adventure in. Allows you to determine whether or not you will be able to survive that particular area.
>>>Red - You will get your ass whupped.(Baddies are too hard for you here and there is no way you can survive)
>>>Yellow - You will most likely get your ass whupped.(Baddies are several levels higher and you will need buffs/potions to survive)
>>>White - Even match. (Baddies here offer the best challenge/exp exchange)
>>>Blue - You occasionally get hit by stuff here. (Baddies are easy to fight here but offer less exp than an even match)
>>>Green - Cake walk. (Baddies offer minimal exp gain)

Then the kicker. Those that have received one of these should get a reward for sticking around through alpha test.

Paradox U Swag Bag
- 1 "WWSD Rubber Bracelet" (Def 5 Bonus +1 all stats) [WWSD= What would Sammie Do]
- 1 "I was there and all I got was this stupid, but I kind of like it and think I will wear it Tee-shirt."
(Def 50 Bonus 25% to all stats)
- 1 "I Endured and Survived" Sticker

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: Freshman Survival Package.

Unread post by jupider » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 am

I don't know how the dev team will react, but I'll give my personal opinion.

First off, a special "introduction" package of items may encourage players to just start creating new accounts just to get the items and then leave the account dormant. Even though this kind of activity could be tracked and the perpetrators caught, I belive this is a situation the developers/Gobb would not like. Also, you do receive a "welcome to the game" kind of package from Professor Von Noob. (But your idea could be used as a side-quest reward.)

Secondly, when you enter an area, the enemies have a power gauge that will help you determine if you will get whupped or not. Taking a gamble on a new area and losing a turn while getting your butt kicked is just an aspect of the game and shouldn't be circumvented.

Thirdly, I think everyone in the game is hoping to get a special package for being here for the Beta Release. Or at least a shiny new sticker. (and who is Sammie?)

And lastly, I do like your ideas and I can't wait to see what else you have to offer to the game. Welcome to Paradox.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:36 pm

A simple solution to the creation of multiple accounts to obtain multiple starter packages would be to make it Non trade-able. So no problems there. Also some of those rewards from the professor could be dropped in place of the ones I suggested perhaps. As far as the glasses go I spoke to some people in chat and they liked that idea better. The gauges could still be helpful even with the glasses in the game.

And Sammie is the guy that gives you the ant quest in the park. ;P

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:40 pm

jupider wrote:First off, a special "introduction" package of items may encourage players to just start creating new accounts just to get the items and then leave the account dormant. Even though this kind of activity could be tracked and the perpetrators caught, I belive this is a situation the developers/Gobb would not like. Also, you do receive a "welcome to the game" kind of package from Professor Von Noob. (But your idea could be used as a side-quest reward.)
I'm not keen on the newbie package, for the reasons stated, however anything we can do that will encourage people to stick around after getting their butts handed to them a few times (obviously apart from me finishing beta!) is worth considering in depth. Making the package and special items non-tradable sounds like a potential workaround - it's not worth setting up a new account just for a bit of newbie food/drink IMHO.
jupider wrote:Secondly, when you enter an area, the enemies have a power gauge that will help you determine if you will get whupped or not. Taking a gamble on a new area and losing a turn while getting your butt kicked is just an aspect of the game and shouldn't be circumvented.
Again, a LOT of new players get seriously annoyed after getting beaten up a few times going into areas that are too difficult, and they just leave the game rather than persisting and learning how to survive. Yes, there's a power meter for each opponent, but you'd be amazed (or not) how many people don't get what that means. Besides, the power meter isn't much use if you've been one-hit-killed by something. Something like this *might* be a solution (of sorts) and it's definitely something I'd consider.
jupider wrote:Thirdly, I think everyone in the game is hoping to get a special package for being here for the Beta Release. Or at least a shiny new sticker. (and who is Sammie?)
Hell yes... Anyone who's stuck with me through all this crap (especially the last few months of inactivity from the devs) deserves a medal at the very least lol. There's going to be something suitable.

Sammie is the dude in the Park... Just don't call him Sami. He hates that.
jupider wrote:And lastly, I do like your ideas and I can't wait to see what else you have to offer to the game. Welcome to Paradox.
Seconded. The dev team at the moment is pretty much... well, me and whoever I can harrass to help out. Anyone offering genuinely good ideas is more than welcome. Especially if it gets me out of my current funk and back to work.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Gobberwart wrote:
jupider wrote:First off, a special "introduction" package of items may encourage players to just start creating new accounts just to get the items and then leave the account dormant. Even though this kind of activity could be tracked and the perpetrators caught, I belive this is a situation the developers/Gobb would not like. Also, you do receive a "welcome to the game" kind of package from Professor Von Noob. (But your idea could be used as a side-quest reward.)
I'm not keen on the newbie package, for the reasons stated, however anything we can do that will encourage people to stick around after getting their butts handed to them a few times (obviously apart from me finishing beta!) is worth considering in depth. Making the package and special items non-tradable sounds like a potential workaround - it's not worth setting up a new account just for a bit of newbie food/drink IMHO.
Plus any point in making a new account for a package to benefit them would constitute multi abuse... just saying. :P

Gobberwart wrote:
jupider wrote:Secondly, when you enter an area, the enemies have a power gauge that will help you determine if you will get whupped or not. Taking a gamble on a new area and losing a turn while getting your butt kicked is just an aspect of the game and shouldn't be circumvented.
Again, a LOT of new players get seriously annoyed after getting beaten up a few times going into areas that are too difficult, and they just leave the game rather than persisting and learning how to survive. Yes, there's a power meter for each opponent, but you'd be amazed (or not) how many people don't get what that means. Besides, the power meter isn't much use if you've been one-hit-killed by something. Something like this *might* be a solution (of sorts) and it's definitely something I'd consider.
I think the tutorial just needs a bit more depth, for instance explaining the POWER BAR might be something that could be done during the whole, go get me 10 pins thing.

Gobberwart wrote:
jupider wrote:Thirdly, I think everyone in the game is hoping to get a special package for being here for the Beta Release. Or at least a shiny new sticker. (and who is Sammie?)
Hell yes... Anyone who's stuck with me through all this crap (especially the last few months of inactivity from the devs) deserves a medal at the very least lol. There's going to be something suitable.

Sammie is the dude in the Park... Just don't call him Sami. He hates that.
How about Mitch? :P

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm

commandermack wrote:Plus any point in making a new account for a package to benefit them would constitute multi abuse... just saying. :P
Yeah, but then someone's gotta deal with multi-abuse and the tears and recriminations that go along with it. Much better to just make it undesirable/difficult in the first place IMHO and avoid the whole messy problem.
commandermack wrote:I think the tutorial just needs a bit more depth, for instance explaining the POWER BAR might be something that could be done during the whole, go get me 10 pins thing.
Heh, you think so? Damn, that thing is LOOONG already, and I bet a lot of people don't read it anyway. Noted, though. Actually... maybe the unarmed combat opponent could give some combat tips while you're fighting him to get the stuff you need. Added it to the ideas list.