National Vinyl.

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Ragazi
Forum Addict

National Vinyl.

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:56 am

This would be a record store where characters can buy "records" that bestow buffs upon them for a limited time.
DISCLAIMER: I don't know programing so I do not know what issues these ideas will create.

What's up music lovers. I am Joe the shop owner feel free to look around and buy some singles. Now if you will excuse me I need to take care of a certain Publicity Stunt. If I am not around when your ready to check out Lucas over there can take care of you. Just be careful with your wallets he likes to gamble with other peoples money.
Also you will need an ANALOG SOUND STORAGE MEDIUM PLAYBACK DEVICE go see Craze Bob he has a new shipment in.

Singles
"Mediocre Existence" by Frog and the Dry cog (+10% Non-combat Encounters, 15 turns)
"Ring of Enemies" by Worse than Edward (+10% Combat Encounters, 15 turns)
"Till I see you from it" by Rum Shrubs (+10% Brains)
"Saltlow" by Wolf Steady (+10% Bravado)
"Enslaved" by The Kamikazis (+10% Brawn)
"Who are you?" by Hammer (+10% Brains)
"There it Goes Before" by Thank You (+10% Item Drops)
"Very Little Peace" by Cookie (+10% Moolah Drops)

As far as cost in Moolah for each single. That would be up to the dev team as would the actual bonuses of each single.

REFERENCES
This whole thing refers to the movie EMPIRE RECORDS as well as the buyable singles being plays on songs from the movies soundtrack.

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: National Vinyl.

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:29 pm

No programming issues at all, and I quite like the idea. Questions:

- I assume they'd be single-use only? As in you play them and they get scratched beyond repair, while giving you the buff?
- Any thought as to cost? I know you said it's "up to the dev team" but any ideas are useful.
- Limit (ie. maximum of three active at any one time etc.)?

Topic author
Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm

I am thinking 200 moolah each would be good. 10 turns each single and yes they would be one use only. You can have some kind of message that scratches the single or breaks it so it cant be used again.

And I am thinking of maybe a limit of 4 at any one time. Need to make it slightly better than KoL in my opinion. :p

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 pm

To be perfectly honest, KOL has something similar to this now. Where you can take hobopolis buffs and get them on records... where you must own a "Device" to play them. The ability to turn your BUFFS into records in itself is a skill I think.

Just something I thought I should share. ;P

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks, mack... Didn't know KoL did that, although to be honest I haven't been in there in a while.

Topic author
Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:01 pm

It is a skill that can only be used with certain songs in the game (6 total) the reason they made them recordable is because there is a limit per day on the casting of the songs. As such they felt it would be wasteful to go for a day or two and not cast the song if you couldn't use it (because you can only have 3 on at any one time) So they made those songs recordable. Then again these are player casted buffs. What I am taking about is making basically a "potion shop" Where you can buy decent buffs. KoL does not have this...

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:34 am

Yeah, I'm not against doing this, but if he did do it, I wouldn't want them to be RECORDs for one. Also with skills not having limits, it would have to be a skill... I can't think of a way to say this without spoilering, so i won't. Sorry. :?

Topic author
Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Ugh I was talking about it being a skill in KoL here on paradox. He it would be a Record .....or in this case a Compact Disc (This would mean the name of the shop would have to be changed which would prolly kill the Empire Records reference because CDs are not Vinyl, but anyway....

You listen to the record,CD, cassette tape and you get the buff. Anyone can use it. Doesnt matter on class or skill.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:39 am

eh, just change it to National Recordings and you can sell whatever sound you want.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:12 pm

LOL mack, yes, but then... well, National Vinyl / National Velvet = Funny... National Recordings = Lame.

I see the difference, and I get what Raga's trying to do. Shame to waste the reference, so I'm keeping it for future reference but yeah, not for "recordable buffs" because... well, the concept of a buff being a song is a KoL thing, not a Paradox thing.

In Paradox, a buff is... grrr, f#&^#&*%^)(^#*#^) I need Beta out there so I can actually talk about this stuff properly. I know how buffs work... Mack, you know how they work... Ragazi is working blind. Sorry, sorry, sorry... I'll sort it out.

Let's get through this month (which is a bitch for all of us) and we'll get there.