Gift Sending/Receiving

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Gift Sending/Receiving

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 am

OK, so recently thinking about this, IDK if you have a set limit to the number of gifts one person can send or not yet, only at like 111 sent to a single person so far but I think this is problematic, unlike T.O.G. these gifts affect using turns(not the use of turns but the ability of which to use them), and so I think there needs to be a spam prevention method taken to stop people from spamming others(2 ways I can think of to do this) or simply make gifts not encountered through turns and simply send them to the inbox.

1. Limit gifting to a certain Individual.
2. Limit gifting per day.
3. Move where the the gifts occur.

I for one would choose option 3 because you would get the gifts immediately without stopping those with limited time from using turns.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: Gift Sending/Receiving

Unread post by jupider » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Narratively, I don't know how you could make the first two work, short of Florist Gump straight up telling you "No," but I can't imagine any business owner refusing to provide his service or goods in fear of negative results. It's not like the tobacco companies are saying anything like, "Well, you've already bought 3 packs of cigarettes this week, I don't think you should buy any more."

The third seems like the only possible solution. In my opinion, the only place where you would typically receive a delivery is at your home. So I think returning to Your Room would be the ideal place to check if you have a delivery waiting. Unfortunately, I'm sure there are a vast majority of players that have no need or desire to ever visit their room. Sure, new players go there to heal, but seasoned players just hit the Pharmacuticorium-or-whatever-the-fuck-it's-called place for their recharge. I personally have never been to my room in quite some time. In fact, unless you're in reset restrictions, you would have no need to go there. At all. Ever. In my opinion.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 pm

How about when you adventure you get all the messages + items on one page.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 pm

You're trying to compare the sending of a floristry item (ie. a "something-o-gram") to T.O.G.s sending of regular items in a gift box with a card of some kind. It's vaguely similar but completely different, so the comparison doesn't work.

Suggesting that we move where the items are delivered to prevent annoying people is a bit silly to me, because you're not buying someone an item, you're buying them a something-o-gram. Sure, it results in an item, but it's the whole experience we're talking about here, not just the item itself. So "simply sending them to the inbox" is vaguely wrong. It's almost like you're saying "hey, great, you guys went to all this trouble of making something-o-grams that show up when you're out and about adventuring and they're cool and all but we're bored now and you know, we just want STUFF like in T.O.G. so if you could give us STUFF without any actual entertainment value, then we'd much rather that, thanks."

Short answer, no.

Now, getting these items doesn't actually use any turns, if you notice. It just takes time which... well, normally it's no biggie, but I suppose if there are lots of these things to go through, it could be a pain in the arse. And yet, I can unfortunately see where some asshats might spend the time AND the moolah to create thousands of the bloody things JUST to annoy someone. And that would REALLY suck. Sigh.

There are a few options available, like instead of making them ALL show up immediately if there's a queue, just having them appear with a random chance (ie. if you have 50 queued up, they could show up every 20th turn) or maybe there could be a link at the bottom that says "you have XX more deliveries waiting, would you like them now" or maybe Gump COULD just limit the number of gifts you can send to a given person on any given day.

Open for discussion I guess, but I'll put it on the list for reevaluation later. Right now, it's not a high priority.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 am

Gobberwart wrote:You're trying to compare the sending of a floristry item (ie. a "something-o-gram") to T.O.G.s sending of regular items in a gift box with a card of some kind. It's vaguely similar but completely different, so the comparison doesn't work.
I don't want the game anything like TOG if possible, but it follows the same type of play style then you are bound to get a comparison every few topics.

Gobberwart wrote:There are a few options available, like instead of making them ALL show up immediately if there's a queue, just having them appear with a random chance (ie. if you have 50 queued up, they could show up every 20th turn) or maybe there could be a link at the bottom that says "you have XX more deliveries waiting, would you like them now" or maybe Gump COULD just limit the number of gifts you can send to a given person on any given day.

Open for discussion I guess, but I'll put it on the list for reevaluation later. Right now, it's not a high priority.
Yeah, I was thinking on some list right before advertise game after beta release and after beta released. lol.

Having worked in a florists, I know sometimes they run out of stock, so a simple tag line of something about limited supplies and whatnot would fix the limiting (jupider).

See, I thought about skipping/collecting the rest myself but then you lose all the who sent what and what they said messages. I'd say one every 10-20 turns, it tells you how many you have left, and you auto-get the encounter when you have zero turns left (so you could collect them if you had the time and you wouldn't have 1K+ just keep stacking up into tomorrow land).

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 am

I personally have never been to my room in quite some time.

LordCretin sneakily snucked until he crashed, thrashed and trashed Jupider's room with a Vegemite party, pasting the stuff till haikus covered the walls. Actually, it was pretty lame untill several bowls of minestone turned up. You ain't seen a stain, 'til you seen what them can manage.
P.S. Some fun guys drew a coulple of "chalky" outlines and left a message with campus security, telling them your sheets was soaked crimson.
( -hic- LordCretin throws back another shot of potato whiskey.)

Harvest bash next week
Jasper the Carrot's back patch
Bring your own sauces

Veggies rule OK!
Minestrone all the way!
Keep the beef at bay!

Solidarity
The Vegetable Sqatter's League
Taking advantage

Rumours are mortar
Binding society's bricks
Jupider does things

Question: What part of
Vegetables can't you digest
Answer: The wheelchair

That last one's just wrong
We heard it on the grapevine
Plagiarism sucks

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:13 pm

... way way way off topic. Not even remotely close to being in the ballpark. Me Thinks this may be Cretin's first forum.

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks for the tip, Commander. In future, I'll keep relevance to mind.

Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I like the idea of a notification that someone sent you a gift, and then a "Click Here to Receive the Gift" link.
Error: This signature no verb.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm

LordCretin wrote:Thanks for the tip, Commander. In future, I'll keep relevance to mind.
Please do. As humourous as that was, there's a time and a place for playing silly buggers, and that was neither. Wheelchair, heh.
commandermack wrote:I don't want the game anything like TOG if possible, but it follows the same type of play style then you are bound to get a comparison every few topics.
Absolutely, I expect that, and in some regards I'd like to think Paradox stands up quite well, but just because TOG has gift packages, and this is some sort of a gift, you can't REALLY draw a direct comparison between the two, because the *intent* is different. TOG's gift packages exist so you can put normal items into boxes and send them off to people with restrictions in place. Florist Gump just sends people stuff via special deliveries for fun.

We wouldn't even consider changing Tom to match TOG because they have completely different intents. That's not to say we have no use for a gift box system at some point (maybe), or that Tom is flawless, just that they are different things.
Fizzbin wrote:I like the idea of a notification that someone sent you a gift, and then a "Click Here to Receive the Gift" link.
Yes, but again it sort of ruins the whole point of having a surprise gift delivery just leap out in the middle of nowhere and ambush you, which is prety much the ENTIRE point of these "o-gram" style deliveries. If we just change it to a notification you can click on, then... I dunno, it's a bit meh in my opinion.

I think I'm liking the "queue them up and deliver them randomly" setup, but maybe with some sort of option to bypass it and collect queued gifts immediately or block receiving gifts for impatient people/killjoys.

Regardless, it won't be happening today.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 pm

maybe simply a checkbox that stops you from getting them while checked? AKA people can send them, but you can't get the encounter to receive them till the checkbox is unchecked again or something. Just a thought since the gift items are just that, gift items, they have no real part in the game other than hey, i was thinking of you.

PS: in regards to TOG's packages, i was referring to their gift shop items, not even thinking about the fact that you can package anything. lol.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 pm

It's in the feature tracking system with a link to this forum thread so go ahead and throw your ideas into the mix, and I'll come back to it later :)

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:28 pm

One suggestion I have to add is to be able to have one delivery "man" deliver multiple gifts to the same player. Thinking that in real life a delivery man may deliver a box of chocolates and a dozen roses.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 pm

JazzyCat wrote:One suggestion I have to add is to be able to have one delivery "man" deliver multiple gifts to the same player. Thinking that in real life a delivery man may deliver a box of chocolates and a dozen roses.
I like how you think, Jazzy :)