sending a pmail to multiple people at once

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

sending a pmail to multiple people at once

Unread post by JazzyCat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Sometimes it would be really nice to be able to send a single message (with the same items attached if applicable) to a group of people at the same time:

Such as during chat events: to all people in chat to receive their "goodie bags"
Reminders: To people who have logged in the previous week
In my case in particular, sending out hugs and the quote of the day.

My idea is that the sender would have to type in the recipients' names, not have a separate piece of coding to do that.

I am not sure how difficult this would be for coding and also it might make spamming easier.

Ideas?

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: sending a pmail to multiple people at once

Unread post by jupider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Seems like that could open a door for spammers at some point down the road.

Maybe limit the total number of recipients to 5 or so?

Make the option only available to non-green shirts?

Make the option and/or maximum number of recipients dependent on your current Respect level? (Which opens a door for multi-abuse)

Or, make it an option that a player must "apply" for via a Token of Appreciation, and run the risk of losing if used improperly.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 am

or just make it a feature unlocked via a SECRET GIFT ITEM, that no one knows about except those that have the feature.

Also you double posted the topic jazzy, might wanna delete that other one. :P

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

I know we had this on the list at some point, but I think I took it off for many of the reasons jupider mentioned. I've added it back on though, because I think we do need to look at incorporating some features that we can make available ONLY to people who have (somehow) proven themselves not to be asshats.

Not entirely sure HOW we go about doing that - as jupider points out, just basing it on the respect system would encourage multi-abuse - but I do think "power users" have a legitimate reason for wanting to send a pmail to multiple people at once. And there are other things a trusted user might be able to do, like (for example) maybe change their avatars without being subject to the normal approval process and other things I can't think of immediately.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome as always.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Just want to say I support any such system.

Phantom491
Forum Regular

Unread post by Phantom491 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 am

Gobberwart wrote:I know we had this on the list at some point, but I think I took it off for many of the reasons jupider mentioned. I've added it back on though, because I think we do need to look at incorporating some features that we can make available ONLY to people who have (somehow) proven themselves not to be asshats.

Not entirely sure HOW we go about doing that - as jupider points out, just basing it on the respect system would encourage multi-abuse - but I do think "power users" have a legitimate reason for wanting to send a pmail to multiple people at once. And there are other things a trusted user might be able to do, like (for example) maybe change their avatars without being subject to the normal approval process and other things I can't think of immediately.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome as always.
Trusted users could be Devs/Mods, & DJs. Others could be added on an individual basis.