What happens to my suggestions?

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

What happens to my suggestions?

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm

A few people have asked whether we actually do anything with the suggestions made in here, so I thought I'd post this to tell you what usually happens.

First, I say no. Then I stop and think about it a bit before saying no again. Then I think about it properly and consider whether or not the suggestion has any merit at all, either now or in the future, and if it's something we can do anything about immediately. If I can, I do it and it's sorted.

If not, it falls into one of three categories:

1. Unusable suggestions. That stuff, I say no to again, this time finally.
2. Suggestions that need a lot more information from the person suggesting it (let's call that person the suggestor).
3. Suggestions that have enough information to work with but that will need to wait until later to be acted on.

In the latter two cases, I raise a request in our Bug/Feature tracking system (a product called Mantis) and link it back to the forum post, and will normally invite further feedback from the suggestor and others.

When the time is right, the dev team will go through all requests in Mantis and see what's in there that we have time to / are able to / are in the mood to do something about and get on with it in one way or another.

Unfortunately that can take a while, and here's why. There are four people in the Dev Team right now. Of those four, only one of us (me) is a programmer and actually has the ability to implement anything. As at the time of writing, there are exactly 53 open/active feature requests in the system for me to get to, over and above the things we need to do to get Beta implemented. Sure, some of those things will be covered off by the Beta implementation, but a lot of them are separate, standalone things that will just happen when they happen. They can't be farmed out to other people to do, and they will just sit there until I get to them.

At the end of the day, though, they will not be forgotten and, if enough people REALLY want something, it might just happen quickly. Basically, if you have a suggestion, think it through, post it well, get some support and see what happens.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Re: What happens to my suggestions?

Unread post by jupider » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am

Gobberwart wrote:As at the time of writing, there are exactly 53 open/active feature requests in the system for me to get to, over and above the things we need to do to get Beta implemented. [...] a lot of them [...] will just happen when they happen [and] will just sit there until I get to them.
Hrmmm... any chance we can see what those are? I for one am a little curious.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for the clarification! Keep up the good work!

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 pm

jupider wrote:
Gobberwart wrote:As at the time of writing, there are exactly 53 open/active feature requests in the system for me to get to, over and above the things we need to do to get Beta implemented. [...] a lot of them [...] will just happen when they happen [and] will just sit there until I get to them.
Hrmmm... any chance we can see what those are? I for one am a little curious.
Sorry, not at this stage. There's a mix of things in there that are spoilery and not so spoilery and the amount of administrative overhead required to ensure that only the stuff that we would actually WANT to be made public would be shown is just too much at this stage to attempt to make the list public.

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Sun May 27, 2012 9:31 am

Gob, last time I asked where my suggestions went you told me there was a circular storage device under your desk you put them in called File 13. :P

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes, but that's just YOUR suggestions. For everyone else, the OP still applies :)

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am

Ohhhh okay I get it now! :P