Can be Gifted

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Can be Gifted

Unread post by commandermack » Thu May 19, 2011 10:06 am

Many items in the game say they can be gifted, which isn't techniquely true since we have no gifting function for normal items. Add that to the list to change would be the suggestion I suppose unless of course you planned to add in some form of gifting capabilities to normal items at some point.

While on the topic, only the florist gump stuff is techniquely giftable, but they are currently listed as CANNOT. Which I would take assume is because they aren't Mailable.

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Can be Gifted

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 pm

1. I think you mean technically.

2. You're wrong. What do you mean, we have no gifting function? What would you call attaching an item to a pmail and sending it to someone then? Just because we're not sticking something in a box, doesn't make it not a gift.

This isn't KoL.

It's Sparta.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 am

I call that Mailing. :P like those free sample I get in the mail. :D
Last edited by commandermack on Sat May 21, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkgamr
Forum Addict

Unread post by darkgamr » Fri May 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Gobberwart wrote:It's Sparta.
No, this is Patrick!

But seriously, it makes sense that giftable=sendable in a message, but the fact that the Florist Gump items, which can be sent as gifts, are labelled as not giftable is somewhat misleading.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun May 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Think about it. Florist Gump is not a major part of the game, so labelling every single item in the game based on what Florist Gump does with them just wouldn't make any sense. The only reason anyone is finding this in any way confusing (or "misleading" if you like) is because you're used to KoL-style "gifts", where you go and buy a gift box and have the items delivered with a card, and therefore you're drawing a comparison between that and Florist Gump because of the similarity.

At the end of the day, if something is marked as "giftable" it means you can give it away to someone. Right now, that basically means you can mail it to them, but the same flag may also apply to any other method we introduce that allows a player to give an item away to another player, so changing it to "is mailable" (for example) would be less than ideal.

Please just get used to the different terminology.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 pm

The only reason this is a problem is because on the wiki people thought there would be a giftable category, and now it's kind of stuck there.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun May 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Nah, it is like he said cowboy, the fact that there is anything GIFTABLE in a shop makes us think of it like ToG's items which are labeled "Gift Item" in the descriptions and sold in a shop. Too similar that the brain instantly makes the connection. While attaching an item to a pmail is seen as mailing because it forces you to write something instead of just send something. So it has the instant branding in our minds as MAILING. Either way, if there is something else planned here, I have no issues with this.