New quests!

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Fizzbin
Forum Addict

New quests!

Unread post by Fizzbin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:57 pm

I feel there aren't enough quests in the game, specially quests related to time travel and paradoxes.
I once read a sci-fi story from the 1950's about a person who traveled to the future and found a knife. He brought the knife back with him to the present and displayed it in his home. Later, he found out that the future building in which he found the knife was the ruins of his old home. That meant the knife had no beginning, it had a time-loop-type existence.

How about something like that in this game? Professor von Noob receives a message from the future asking for help, and so he sends you to do um, something. Then when you finish, you send a message back in time to the good Professor asking for help.

Or a version of the Grandfather Paradox, in which you have to go back in time and prevent yourself from enrolling in Paradox University, or something else that would seemingly prevent the game from taking place. Destroy the blueprints for the DQS, date the Professor's mother so she never gives birth to the Professor...
Error: This signature no verb.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Re: New quests!

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I like the idea of changing the timeline, but it's obviously confusing so maybe it would be hard to implement.

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Oh!
But what if you have gender reassignment 50 years from now and can't afford to pay back the Tranz-Mafia loan sharkz0rs? What if you went on the lamb, hiding out in the past... at a certain uni? What if your future-past self was-is an emotionally burned out husk, from all those years of assassinating cybor-dinos and has no qualms about...

Oh! My!
You're sick dude! No wonder you have 15 toes.

Oh! My! Gourd!
Who's your... ? No wait... I don't wanna know!

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:36 am

There are *definitely* not enough quests in the game, and that's a HUGE part of what Beta is about. Fizzbin, I suspect you're going to like what we're planning :)

Topic author
Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

There's another old sci-fi story by Robert Heinlein, "All You Zombies". It has one of my favorite time travel paradoxes. A man gets visited by a strange man who tries to convince him to go with him to the future. Then another stranger appears, identical to the first stranger, but with a black eye, saying "No, don't go with him, it's a trap!" The two strangers have a fight, the first stranger gets a black eye...buncha stuff happens, and at the end you find out that all of those characters are really the same person.

There's another Robert Heinlein story in which a man, through the miracle of time travel, is both his own mother and father.
I forget the name of that story.

For this game, I like the idea of randomly fighting a future version of yourself, and then later, during a quest, you have to go back in time and fight some stranger that you find out is your past self.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

*wrestles with these thoughts............... :lol:

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:03 pm

"is both his own mother and father"

That's quite some time travel!

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:48 pm

:shock:

Topic author
Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Oops, sorry, I got the titles of those two stories mixed up.

"All You Zombies" is about the time traveler who became his own mother and father.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%94A ... s%E2%80%94

"By His Bootstraps" is about the time traveler...well, it's kinda complicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_His_Bootstraps