Item Displaying Order

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Item Displaying Order

Unread post by commandermack » Tue May 06, 2014 9:47 am

Alrighty, straight to the point then... Items in your inventory show up in alphabetical order, with an option to sort gear by power. Why is it that Trades/Mails don't also implement this feature? I've done a bunch of trades lately and the longer/more stuff in them, the harder it is to make sure you got specific items. I'm just wondering why it wasn't already done to make them alphabetized by the singular. Is their a reason? Was it on the todo list? Is it on the todo list now? Thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply. :)

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Re: Item Displaying Order

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am

While I agree wholeheartedly, I think this is less important than Beta especially as there is not much to trade right now :P

Honestly you can write a script to do this yourself because all the front-end is in easily accessible and viewable JavaScript - just hit CTRL - U!

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue May 06, 2014 4:18 pm

I've not coded since high school. I'm too old now to learn new stuff like this... it's a kids game... whippersnappers.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue May 20, 2014 7:31 pm

commandermack wrote:Alrighty, straight to the point then... Items in your inventory show up in alphabetical order, with an option to sort gear by power. Why is it that Trades/Mails don't also implement this feature? I've done a bunch of trades lately and the longer/more stuff in them, the harder it is to make sure you got specific items. I'm just wondering why it wasn't already done to make them alphabetized by the singular. Is their a reason? Was it on the todo list? Is it on the todo list now? Thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply. :)
What do you mean "alphabetized by the singular"? If you go to send a mail/trade, aren't they already sorted that way?

I'll assume you mean that you want to have options to sort them in some way other than alphabetized by the singular, and I'll answer your questions accordingly, cos that makes more sense. If I'm wrong, feel free to chastise me severely, mistress... oooh yeah, just like that. I've been a BAD boy! Umm, focus Gobb.

Why wasn't it done? Nobody ever really asked for it.
Is there a reason? See above.
Was it on the todo list? No. See above.
Is it on the todo list now? Sure, why not? But it's not at the top of the list.

Also, I'd like to add a "filter" to mail/trade and any other item select lists (eg. recipes) so you can choose to show only items of a specific type (food, drinks, misc, weapons, equippable items, etc.) which should make your lists a lot smaller and easier to scroll through. Again, not top priority but on the todo list.

How's that?

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Wed May 21, 2014 7:51 am

"If you go to send a mail/trade", not this. When you Receive a Mail/Trade, why aren't they like that.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh, when you RECEIVE a mail/trade.. gotcha. I must've misread it.

Good question. To be honest, I've never given it much thought.

I just took a look at the code and the attachments aren't really sorted at all, so they'll get displayed by... well, it appears to be item id. Which is rubbish.

I'll modify it in the short term so they're at least sorted alphabetically, which should make things slightly easier for you to manage. If we need to take it farther than that, let me know.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:22 pm

thanks a lot. :)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:23 am

commandermack wrote:thanks a lot. :)
No prob. Done, btw.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:53 pm

So... this caused a bit of a problem as it turns out. The code I changed neglected to cater for the fact that moolah isn't an item as such, so when it tried to sort everything it couldn't look up moolah by name and... well, let's just say there was panic across the board.

In the short term, I've defined moolah as an item in the database, which is working as a temporary fix since I don't have access to the actual code from work. I've got a better fix ready to go, just need to upload it when I get home tonight.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:57 pm

lol, lovely what comes out of these tinkerings. :P

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 pm

commandermack wrote:lol, lovely what comes out of these tinkerings. :P
Yeah, sometimes it turns up code that I'd really rather not look it. What the hell was I th(dr)inking?