Uncombining Deconstructinator

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Uncombining Deconstructinator

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:08 am

This handy device can take a mixture and undo whatever you did to make it. In scientific terms, it can deconstruct an item into its components. It can put the smoke back into the cigarette

The smoke never goes back into the cigarette. The spilled drop of ink never reforms. If you mix the mashed potatoes and sauce, you can't separate them later. Well, unless you have this.

WARNING: Using this item on very shiny objects can result in unwelcome side-effects.

----

This item can be used once a day to turn a combined item into its components. This costs 20 TP and can only be used once per reset (it effectively reverses time, so reversing time should reset it). This is a permanent device. If used on a shiny or dazzling chain-mail shirt, like the description says, you will not receive the 500 rings (that would be 55,000 or 60,000 moolah and broken in reset). Something amusing should happen, maybe blow up the machine and give 30-70 rings or something.

Possible uses:
*Pull Cafe Latte and deconstruct for 3 milk
*Pull Artery Hardener and deconstruct for 4 patties and make 4 probably-meat-burgers with salad
*Change wabbit outfits back into their parts to make different pieces
*??? Who knows?

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Uncombining Deconstructinator

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Interesting....

Would be very curious to hear what others think of this idea. Pros, cons, general thoughts, potential problems etc.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm

You can't take pee out of a pool. Let's just keep it logical.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 am

jupider wrote:You can't take pee out of a pool. Let's just keep it logical.
I'm not quite sure what this comment means :?

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:55 pm

once it's been contaminated, you can't fix it... very simple cowboy. You can dilute it a lot, but it's still there.

On topic: I'm not for this. It creates another thing that needs constant monitoring and updating whenever a new thing comes out. If someone needed the parts of something crafted, they should simply just farm it. I don't actually see the reason why this would be needed beyond what cowboy stated, it would help resetters by letting them pull 1 thing that has many components that would sell for more than the pull was worth. Seems like a lot of trouble just for that 1 thing.

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:26 pm

commandermack wrote:once it's been contaminated, you can't fix it... very simple cowboy. You can dilute it a lot, but it's still there.
I meant, I don't understand his comment. Is he suggesting I replace all my examples with that? Cause mine is a direct reference to the movie "Mr. Nobody"

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:15 pm

First off, I'm not familiar with the Mr. Nobody reference as I have never seen or even heard of it. Secondly, what I was simply implying is that you should not be able to uncombine something that could not be logically uncombined. The example you used was "Pull Cafe Latte and deconstruct for 3 milk." I don't see how one could "remove" three milks from a latte.

I like the concept of being able to "uncombine" items back to their base materials, but I just think it should be narratively justifiable.

In the future of the game (i.e. post-Beta) I could see this as a special skill for one of the classes rather than an installable device.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:14 am

jupider wrote:First off, I'm not familiar with the Mr. Nobody reference as I have never seen or even heard of it. Secondly, what I was simply implying is that you should not be able to uncombine something that could not be logically uncombined. The example you used was "Pull Cafe Latte and deconstruct for 3 milk." I don't see how one could "remove" three milks from a latte.

I like the concept of being able to "uncombine" items back to their base materials, but I just think it should be narratively justifiable.

In the future of the game (i.e. post-Beta) I could see this as a special skill for one of the classes rather than an installable device.
It needs to be recharged by resetting (a glitch in time) and it's an advanced device, so I think it makes sense. In order to reverse time (uncombine things you CAN'T), you need to reverse time (reset)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:02 am

Awesome, so when you reset, all your combined items will be uncombined to their base components... gotcha ;)

Seriously, thanks for the input all. SOME items could potentially be uncombinable to their original components if it's narratively plausible, but only where the individual doing the uncombine has the required skill/device/whatever.

Bitchin'

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:16 am

What if the only things that you can uncombine are things that you've crafted THIS reset? Either that or you only get some of the components when you use the item instead of all of them. I also like this as a class skill, once per reset you can command the power of time or some such thing to fix one terrible mistake, so long as that mistake involved building something you didn't mean to build. There certainly has to be limits on it, but it's a fun idea. Pulls are already studied and optimized, it would be a lot easier to do the speed runs that were nerfed on purpose with a pull that turns into 5.

Wait a minute...I liked speed runs. You should totally implement this!

Seriously though, a very cool idea but only if we can find a way to keep it from tweaking things in unintended ways.