Friends/Baleet function?

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Friends/Baleet function?

Unread post by unknownZ » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:47 am

Not really needed now, but still its a great function :p

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Friends/Baleet function?

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Yep, it's on the list.

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 am

Is this still in the pipeline to be done? I only ask because I would have loved a baleet function in chat earlier today...

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:00 am

ShadowWolf wrote:Is this still in the pipeline to be done? I only ask because I would have loved a baleet function in chat earlier today...
Yes.

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:41 am

Kewl :)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Just out of interest... what happened?

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:07 am

Oh just someone being annoying and a bit spammy.I wont mention any names but there were other people in there at the same time who were thinking the same as me.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:38 pm

I'll make the ignore function a priority (once I get this new content in anyway), and the person involved has been warned.

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Spammy? Annoying? I thought I was being witty and charming........... :oops:

If baleet comes in, I will be in the same boat as skippy

Able to say nothing and just going tsk tsk tsk....... :roll:

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Can't the respect system be doubled for this? Respected players are marked as /friends and disrespected as /baleet? It seems rather pointless to have two completely separate commands that do nearly identical functions. Also, don't limit just chat. Disrespected/baleeted players should be restricted from purchasing store items and proposing trades to those whose "blacklist" they're on. To those who's on their "blacklist." To those who've "blacklisted" them. Dammit! That never bothered me until Jick mentioned it.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:31 pm

jupider wrote:Can't the respect system be doubled for this? Respected players are marked as /friends and disrespected as /baleet? It seems rather pointless to have two completely separate commands that do nearly identical functions. Also, don't limit just chat. Disrespected/baleeted players should be restricted from purchasing store items and proposing trades to those whose "blacklist" they're on. To those who's on their "blacklist." To those who've "blacklisted" them. Dammit! That never bothered me until Jick mentioned it.
You're making a few assumptions here:

Firstly, assuming that we'd be limiting any ignore function to "just chat". That is most definitely not what we have in mind.

Secondly, that when a person ignores another player, that means they ALSO want to publicly declare their disrespect for that player, or that having a person on your contact list means you want to declare your respect. They may not, and therefore respect/disrespect can not be substituted for friend/ignore.

The respect/disrespect system is therefore not an "identical function" (not even "nearly identical"), needs to remain separate, and will be further enhanced in the future so that, hopefully, it can be used as a tool to help decide whether engaging in interaction with any given player is a good idea. We're aware that there are some questions surrounding the validity of that kind of system, and in the long term it may not work out that way, but there's no harm in trying it out.

Thirdly, that when a person ignores another player, that means they want to stop that person buying something from their store. That's never made any sense to me in KoL as they're completely different things. You may want to not see someone's chat/mail/trade messages, but if you have stuff you want to sell without restriction, why would you want to restrict that as well? An asschat's moolah is as good as anyone else's.

Conversely, you may wish to prevent a buffbot (for example - I know there currently aren't any) from buying AR items from your store, but you may want to receive buffs from that bot, in which case ignoring their messages would be counterproductive.

It's true that a blanket "ignore means ignore everything" approach is the simplest, but some players may want something more advanced, so the plan is to provide a "simple" ignore (ie. "ignore everything") and an "advanced" ignore, where players can select specifically what interactions from another player they would like to ignore (trade/chat/mail/store purchases etc.).

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 am

Alright, I gotta stop that "assuming" thing. So maybe you could click a link in a players profile and get something like this:

[ ] Ignore player in chat.
[ ] Block player from purchasing your store items.
( ) Respect player.
( ) Disrespect player.
(o) Hold no opinion about this player.

And personally, I've never liked the idea of completely omitting a player's text in chat. I had always thought (although I don't know how well it would work out) that instead of not showing their text, it would just echo "playername: ..." to let you know they're there and speaking, but you're not interested in what they have to say. I know this wouldn't work with a spammer, and the whole concept seems rather counterintuitive, so maybe just an additional checkbox could suffice:

[ ] Completely omit player from chat.

But in the end, I guess it should be whatever seems the most logical.

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:04 pm

Although the respect system and a baleet/friends system might seem similar in functionality, they are not. But I do really like the idea of implementing a tiered baleet. I have also always wanted to be able to see that someone I have baleeted is talking. Perhaps not all players feel the same. An option for level of chat ignore is an intriguing idea which should probably be looked at.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:25 pm

I quite like the "playername: ..." idea actually. That way you don't have to read the waffle but at least you know SOMETHING is being said. Anyway, we need to find the right point between simplicity and functionality, so it'd be interesting to hear what other players want.

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 pm

I really like teh tiered baleet idea. because like i think grok said, their moolah is just as good as any other! so blocking from chat, but not store...but having teh ability to block from purchasing from your store should teh need arise is VERY appealing to me!

pretty much teh same goes for seeing that a baleeted person said something, but you don't have to read what would be very handy...even though as a mod i won't get to use this function :( :-p

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:45 pm

mastechno wrote:I really like teh tiered baleet idea. because like i think grok said....
That would be me :)

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 pm

i was too lazy to scroll up :-p

*tips hat to Gobb*

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:25 pm

I noticed this suggestion by Reenix in the Chat system thread. More possible checkboxes:

[ ] Notify me when this person enters/exits chat.
[ ] Notify me when this person logs in/out.

Or they could be amalgamated together. Or just amalgamated? I don't know. Is "amalgamated together" redundant?

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Just say "combined". I used to use big words like that, but everyone called me a pompous ass. So, I stopped using those words, and now they just call me an ass.=o)
Good call on those check-boxes, by the way.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Meh, why use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice?

Agreed on the checkboxes. Now I just need to figure out:

- What are the defaults? (ie. when I add a contact, do I want it to notify by default?)
- Some kind of simple interface.