Item Requirements

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Reenix
Contributor

Item Requirements

Unread post by Reenix » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:37 pm

In regards to a minor bug I discovered with the legendary hard rock hat, I think it would be a good idea to include the stat required (if any) to equip an item. That way, people won't buy items they can't use. (Or if they do, they don't have an excuse.)
Also, if people do have an item they can't equip in their inventory, have a strikethrough the item name on the equip dropdown menu. Any thoughts on this?
"Getting up on the wrong side of the bed never hurt anyone. Unless the wrong side is next to an open window."

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Item Requirements

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 pm

I have an item on my list (yeah, THAT list) to add a bit more information on items on the various inventory pages, and in the case of equipment that would include things like attack and defence rating, maybe requirements etc.

With regard to striking through the item name, I'm not actually convinced that's possible to do with a listbox. It might be, but it sounds like it's probably not. Additionally, checking the player's stats against the requirements for every single item would likely be a significant hit on the database for a very minor gain.

Suggestions noted though.

Since we're here, is there any other information people would like to see included along with items in inventory? Be realistic (obviously we're not going to be including everything for bandwidth reasons, and there is some stuff that we'd rather keep aside for spades) but feel free to make any suggestions.

Topic author
Reenix
Contributor

Unread post by Reenix » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 pm

How about a tab next to 'eat' and 'drink' on consumables detailing the fullness they take up, to aid strategic consumption and to stop overeating/drinking? Could be handy.
"Getting up on the wrong side of the bed never hurt anyone. Unless the wrong side is next to an open window."

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:37 pm

I don't believe we should identify consumption items' effects, including stomach and bladder. Too spoilery.

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:03 pm

I would agree...that's spading and fun...when you rolled out the most recent new recipes(drinks) it was interesting to figure out how much they gave as far as gains go...for what it "cost you (bladder)

stroby
Forum Addict

Unread post by stroby » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 pm

as eating and drinking too the max doesnt affect you it mighn't be necessary but perhaps if people liked the idea the game could remember once you've drunk/eaten it a few times.

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:30 pm

So what you're saying is that you don't want to have to remember it. :P

I hear what you are saying but there are very good reasons to have some things that are the responsibility of the player to keep track of. To wit, if a game tracks everything for you, that both increases load on the server to dish up the extra data and removes a certain sense of accomplishment which anchors you to the game. There is a fine balance between ease-of-play and too-easy-to-play.

For those who aren't all spadey, there is also the wiki. :)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Agreed. Basically, I'm ok with putting information that's already easily found elsewhere (eg. autosell value, attack/defence etc.) but anything that's not explicitly stated (eg. turns/stats/effects from consumption), comes under the combined headings of spading/strategy/spoilers, and I don't believe it should be just stuck there for all to see.

This might be a handy little something for the greasemonkiers out there though.

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 am

Overeating/Drinking, although annoying is part of the game. If we make it to obvious what their effects and fullness is then it would make it all a bit to easy. When we overeat/drink, it is a learning curve and if we don't remember to check or keep an eye on the limits, that is our own fault. Some people like the challenge of not knowing and finding out for themselves.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Agreed. If we make it too easy, we might as well just include a "win the game" button on the main page, and nothing else. This is a game for intelligent people - you're going to need to figure some stuff out for yourself (and remember it).

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:52 pm

OH! I say we totally ad a "win the game" function...but it pops up with a window full of sarcasm and general making fun of anyone who hits it...

AND add a counter in everyones profile for how many times they have attempted to "win the game"

:-p

Impalix
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Impalix » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:11 pm

This game is already copyrighted by myself, so get over it.

Rules for "I Win" - by Impy

1. I win.
2. You can win, but I still win.

This game is quite fun to play and is accessible to any age group. I suggest someone play it with me sometime.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:14 pm

You left off a couple of rules:

3. Even when I lose, I still win.
4. Even when I'm not even PLAYING, I still win.

Impalix
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Impalix » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Those are subcategories of Rule #1, Gobb.

I didn't have enough A.s and B.s for an outline form.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Aaaaand back to the actual topic now :)