A Self Delete Link

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Blaize
Forum Addict

A Self Delete Link

Unread post by Blaize » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 am

I was wondering if it would be possible to put a self delete link somewhere in peoples profiles. I have left KOL more or less now and I am wishing there was a way to delete my account off of their system. Surely it would be easier on the server (or whatever holds this game, you know my level of technical knowledge) if people could get rid of their own acounts.

I came accross this thought when I was looking at El's profile at the daily dice roll to see who had won and I noticed that one of the winners was in fact an account i know to be abandoned. I thought it seemed such a shame to have this money going to an account that would never be touched again as apposed to a newbie who could be putting it towards a shop/show case.

There could be many secruity precautions on it to make sure someone doesn't do it by accident/knows the result of deleting their account and that way the name would be freed up, the space would be freed up and money/items wouldnt be going to those who would not make use of it.

Thoughts?

MrsO

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: A Self Delete Link

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Hmmm that's a bit of a can of worms and there are a couple of angles here to consider.

First of all, what counts as an abandoned account? In the world of KoL, if you don't use your account for x days (60? I can't remember) and you haven't had a Mr. Accessory in your inventory (or equivalent) in your inventory at rollover at some point, your account is automatically assumed to be abandoned and is deleted. Fair enough, makes sense in an established game with nearly 2 million PIDs and where server resources are at a premium. We're not there yet and, while it IS disappointing to see stuff going to people who aren't actively playing, I'm not quite at the point yet where I'm prepared to declare an account abandoned just because someone doesn't play actively during the alpha testing phase. As the game grows, something like this WILL become necessary, but not yet.

So, self-delete link then? Well, to my mind there are only two types of people who would use such a link: those who genuinely want to leave and care about our server resources or those who've had a nasty experience and decided to quit. The former is probably going to be a VERY small minority, while the latter... well, I know of several people who've "quit" games, only to change their mind at some point down the track and come back to be active players. It would be a real shame to have people clicking that delete link in anger, only to realise a few days later that they've done something rash and to then not be able to undo it.. Ouch.

It occurs to me that there could be a delete link that would flag an account for deletion, but only if it remains flagged (and the account unused) for 30 days after the flag was set. That would then give players an opportunity to change their mind before it was too late.

Topic author
Blaize
Forum Addict

Re: A Self Delete Link

Unread post by Blaize » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Fair point with all of that, and I very much like the idea of the flag on the account. I would just like to see some way of controlling what happens to your account :) But you are right, it doesn't need doing until we are bigger.