Mounts!

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Mounts!

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Something I've never seen in an MMO such as Paradox or the like. How about some sort of mount? It could be like a piece of equipment, or something completely of its own! Mounts would give intrinsic effects, initiative in fights, +/- to stats and so on. These mounts could be obtained via a stable for moolah, maybe tickets from the Sideshow, and rare drops from monsters? They could range all the way from Chickens to Hobosauruses. Some mounts could fly and some could swim. This is a very all over the place idea, but I'd like to see what you folks think. Care to help me develop and or pick this apart?
-Coda

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Re: Mounts!

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:37 pm

I think this is a good rough idea that would give the equivalent of familiars. It would probably be a long time before this idea could be finished and implemented though.

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 pm

I like the idea, not too broken and something unique. :)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 pm

Definitely sounds like a familiar equivalent, which is cool, but... I'm wondering why you'd need a "mount" to get around a city.

Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Gobberwart wrote:Definitely sounds like a familiar equivalent, which is cool, but... I'm wondering why you'd need a "mount" to get around a city.
Because why bother walking when you can make the mount walk? I mean, it can be used to further "explore" new places, or like someone else mentioned, intrinsic stats.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Like a sea horse could allow you access to a coastal island or beach by swimming you across

eL JoEy
Forum Addict

Unread post by eL JoEy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:40 pm

sounds great, very nice idea R2!

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 am

perhaps instead of the idea of a mount in the traditional sense, automobiles would be more suited to the texture of the game?

-jB

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 am

In Twilight Heroes there are cars and such that are used to give minor mana recovery, HP recovery, flying, inti.... an most of the city cannot be reached without such in item.... so it has been done to some degree....

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 am

But not in the same way as being proposed. I was thinking this was a good rough draft, but could use some changes.

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:17 pm

I hadn't thought of Twilight's Vehicles. They are very cheesy, in my personal opinion. I think mounts would be well suited, especially because it hasn't fully been explained how the time flow will function in Paradox. Maybe they would make sense in the past. And hell, this leaves the possibility of a DeLorean WIDE open! And mounts wouldn't necessarily have to take over the functionality of a familiar, because I know we had talked of a gadgety-esque familiar. I think they would compliment each other well.
-Coda

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Or a TARDIS. Don't forget the TARDIS.

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 pm

It seems you guys are suggesting the purpose of mounts to be to get from one place to another. IF this is the case I personally think the mount discussion should be tabled for a while and instead actually have content and familiars more the priority. Honestly, I'm not sure if with this type of game if mounts for such a purpose are just going to over complicate things.

I did have the thought that depending on how familiars work mounts could instead be attached to familiars and give them bonuses.. Ex: R2 has a homeless hobo as his familiar fighting for him in battle. This homeless hobo does x amount of Drunken Rage damage. In addition this homeless hobo has a shopping cart for a mount giving him something to carry his ill gotten gains from battle in and this would say give a +3% moolah bonus. Not really sure. Just my two cents.

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Ok, now we've gone from familiar-like things to familiar equipment. I'm still waiting to see how it's different...
And R2...Delorean? Really? Geez...

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

I don't know why, but these remind me of a game called
AdventureQuest.
I don't know why.

I personally do not like the idea, (sorry there), why would we need mounts in a point and click game (for design)? It would be rethinked of to fit in the game. As for a familiar idea, it would still be a bit inappropriate. The biggest enemy (excluding the Gazebo) is Legion. And if having a pet bigger than Legion, probably a horse, it would be weird since rats attack and so do ants (with massive damage).... the horse could logically overpower them. Imagine a fat kid in a kilt kicked by a horse.... horse-1, fat kid-0. Well, even if you call your mount as an ass or a donkey, attacking 4-legged mammals would always hurt more.

If you did not understand 1 thing I just have said, I don't blame you.
But my point is: 1. Vehicles are not much help, but is additional pain for the head for the team.
2. It would unbalance the reality in the game.
*You can NEVER ride seahorses.
*Yes, Legion and the Ant Queen, and Ex-bearded ladies can happen in Real Life... in the future, with additional research.

But it would still be fun to have new content, and if this does get implemented.... I'm getting one fast.

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 am

LGOD... Since when are we talking about reality here. The game is about time travel. TIME TRAVEL. Not necessarily plausible... Yet still fun. You fight ants, schrodingers cat, and a man eating mushroom... Seriously? I mean I definitely see what you are saying in terms of ridiculousosity, but thats what makes games fun. If any game was realistic, it would suck cock. I dont mind the idea of familiar equipment, per say but I still think it would be neat to have said mount get you from point a to priorly inaccessible point b. And Wolf... Its about fucking time travel dude. DeLorean is the icon of time travel. The Flux-Capacitor primarily.
-Coda

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:09 am

woot R2 you get em..... and agreed twilights use of cars is pretty lame... I like sportguys idea to some degree.. but lets all be honest in alot of ways all this has been done before.. so 90% of all ideas will feel used or been there done that not saying that is a bad thing... just the way it is

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm still watching this thread with interest. I don't have anything to add at this point, but keep discussing it by all means :)

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 pm

I agree Invisible. Its gonna be hard to develop a brand new idea. We could come up with an idea that feels new, but its by no means gonna be completely brand spanking new. I know people dislike the idea of it being a "mount," but I actually had Munchkins in mind when I proposed this idea. What about an underling/mount in the sense of Munchkins. It wouldn't necessarily be a means of transport, although that is one possibility, but it could also help to lighten your load, aid you in combat, or have other various abilities. For those of you who have played Munchkins, you know of what I am thinking... And for those of you who haven't... what the hell have you been doing with your life?
-Coda

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:14 pm

would love to see what more people think of this idea and what kinds ideas they have.. R2 I see where your coming from I have played Munchkin... its interesting LOL can i have a Phone Booth so i can be the Doctor.. but would love to see more feed back and its great Gobb is watching us...

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Gobb is always watching us...
-Coda

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Maybe this could be expanded to be servants or minions. Like your homeless hobo could, once a day, make trash bombs or provide some other service in addition to their combat and travel uses. Another example is a seahorse who can 1. Stun enemies with bubbles 2. make, once a day, a enemy stunning bubble or a health regenerating massage bubble 3. provide access to a beach area.
I don't think this is the for sure the way to go but I kinda like this idea and it could become something bigger and better.

pw079
Forum Poster

Unread post by pw079 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 am

Interesting idea, its more or less a sidekick of some sort. What ever it does or is decided to do the general idea is catchy. Even better if it could be combinded into new content as well. Maybe like a zoo with all kinds of strange adventures to combate. Paradox Weirdly Insane Petting Zoo?? and you could adventure through there and maybe these "mounts" could drop with a small percent so that way tons of them aren't dropping and then there is new content for people to adventure in.

Just a thought. :idea:
~PW079

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 am

I'm liking this so far....

but...bear in mind TPTB already have ideas for areas that have to "finish" the story line! So keep coming up with ideas, but anything involving new areas and whatnot...try to stray away from (for now). Now that's not to say it wouldn't ever happen, but we're still constructing much of the MAIN story line yet, so new areas IMO aren't necessary *right now*

Much agreed R2, we're not going to think of a completely new idea, but if we "borrow" the best things from each different thing, and figure out a way to combined most or all of them into our own, I think that's the winner right there!

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 am

Heres a thought that would agree with Mas' idea that it shouldn't necessarily involve new content areas as of yet, but could still introduce the theory into the game... Holiday drops! How badass would it be to get an Easter Bunny Mount/Underling?! If thought of sooner... Even a Valentines day drop! Maybe a little devilish cupid similar to the Legion we already have... But Im saying Bunny is out best bet. I think mount would be the best way to go about this, but even an underling-esque character would be intriguing. If it be a mount, a critical hit in combat could possibly jar an egg loose from his Easter basket! Similar idea with the underling... Once a day he could "Clone" himself in a chocolate bunny form and it could replenish so much HP/MP. There are TONS of possibilities with this one. Ideas?
-Coda

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 am

the chocolate bunny or even eggs could be a possible form of food... Or do many other things in game.. sounds really interesting R2.... and with so many different holidays in some cultures alot of possibilities to be played with..

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm

I think its an interesting idea, but Gobb has said holidays that he does not deem special will not occur in PRM. So its pretty much only gonna be big universal holidays and Paradox unique holidays that will be celebrated...
-Coda

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 pm

What I'm getting at this stage is that "mount", "pet", "servant", "underling" or "minion" (even "munchkin") are just similes for "familiar" and that people want to have a lot of options/variety in their familiars. Noted.

Transport, however, is a completely separate issue and will probably form a SEPARATE aspect of the game, when transport is needed. Right now, it's not, so making familiars a form of transport just seems wrong.

Re holidays, I didn't say that "holidays I don't deem special will not occur in Paradox", but I DID say that regional holidays will be a lot less likely to appear than global ones. Therefore, American-specific holidays like Independence Day, or Thanksgiving, *probably* won't be celebrated in line with their real-world counterparts. Which is not to say there won't be special occasions on the Paradox calendar with holidays *resembling* things like this (ie. a day to blow stuff up with fireworks or a day to fight with your family and eat yourself stupid).

In other words, we're definitely open to suggestions for holidays, just be aware that they may not be directly related to real-life counterparts.

Also, with regard to new content, we already have a bunch of new zones in mind for the storyline and these will be created as the story progresses, but there's nothing wrong with coming up with a new standalone zone/area, provided there's a purpose to it and it doesn't form part of the storyline.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Yeah. I was thinking a familiar with a little more depth to it than Kols familiars as in more than just a combat thing. I also have another idea. How about if you could say, give commands to your familiars to defend, attack, use ability ect.( But I was thinking that maybe randomly in between turns you would be able to give it commands, not every time)
I was also thinking that familiars could have HP and TP, or at least HP so they aren't invincible. Just a thought.
Last edited by heliosa10 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:25 pm

heliosa10 wrote:a little more depth to it than Paradoxes familiars
I assume you mean KoL's familiars?

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Oops. :oops: Fixed

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:08 am

so something i have not seen brought up in this whole mount discussion but has been going through my head is taking a game concept that is already in game and expanding it.... Devices that would be equipped to your character and act like KOL familiars...
cell phones, Mp3 players, even go old school and have a Boom Box that causes sonic damage maybe it could up monster levels... you could even have these devices have multi purpose but you choose maybe one or two abilities to use at one time.... just another idea i though i would throw out there for someone to bash into dust..... I have more content floating in my head right now... but just throwing this out there.... I think it brings a new idea to something that is already in game.... so bring out your baseball bats and bash away....

Also i agree with the idea of homaging many ideas to make one great one... when creating something its all about paying tribute to what is influencing you.. in someway

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:55 am

invisible wrote:even go old school and have a Boom Box
More like, ghetto blaster.

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:03 am

Elusis wrote:
Depends on what side of the hood you come from.. but yea i like Ghetto blaster....

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:22 am

Make a separate thread for that! We need to expand on the devices and I think a ghetto blaster would be a FREAKING SWEET device to kill people with. Haha
-Coda

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 pm

invisible wrote:
Elusis wrote:
Depends on what side of the hood you come from.. but yea i like Ghetto blaster....
I'm not like from the hood or anything. I just know that's what they used to call them in the 80s - 90s, and it makes me lol.

Topic author
Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:59 am

I had completely forgotten about this thread, but it was pretty popular for awhile. I was wondering if there were any new ideas on the subject matter? Possibly from newer players? I would love to see a familiar-esque type device that would have more responsibility than just a battle companion. More like a sidekick.
-Coda

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm

I want a horse holopet or mount for the cowboy in me.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Every time I see this thread about mounts I have flashbacks of accessing CD-ROM drives in Linux.

With that being said... yeah.

Sorry.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."