Outfit idea, possible new location

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Outfit idea, possible new location

Unread post by HamanKarn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:22 am

Considering I'm fairly new here, you can take my ideas at your discretion. :mrgreen: Still, I have two suggestions for game content. As the thread title explain (in considerable detail, no doubt), one involves the implementation of a new outfit, and the other an entirely new location.

The Itinerant Monk Outfit
Considering time travel is incorporated into the game, I figured a traveling monk would be an intriguing addition. The monk's basic outfit would comprise of:
Spoiler:
Kosode, obi, geta, large cane, kyahan, gasa
Somewhat esoteric terminology, but nothing too elaborate. :P Anyway, the location. How about an arena inhabited by holographic (or robotic) duplicates of famous world personalities for you to engage in combat? I'd imagine people would be bemused at the thought of fighting, say, Abraham Lincoln or Napoleon.

genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Re: Outfit idea, possible new location

Unread post by genghizcohen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm not sure about the monk outfit, but I personally love the thought of abusing Napoleon. Cocky french midget.
Genghizcohen, leader of the bronze horde.

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm gonna save Gobberwart the words and say... Develop this idea more. Many people toss out what ifs, but if you think this is a truly great idea... Write up some monsters with descriptions and drops and hit messages. Make some non-combats, and then post those. We can give those a look over instead of just another idea we have written down on a napkin that we think would be neat in the game...
-Coda

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Well, I just completed an encounter write-up for holographic Napoleon. I hope you enjoy it. XD

You encounter Napoleon Bonaparte.

Description
Vive le France, as they often exclaim when confronting the country, but occasionally something appears to make people wish they uttered the phrase later. One such something appears before you. This 5'8'' megalomaniac of a man (whose way with military tactics far exceeds his height) formally challenges you to a good old-fashioned French throwdown, complete with his most reliable method of dispatching a challenger - the mobile bypass surgery device. The sheer monstrosity of the device in comparison to him belies his (rather holographic) projection problem.

Initiative message – Oh, dear – it appears that our dearest Napoleon couldn’t quite satisfy the rather tall challenge of besting your initiative. I suppose he had loftier goals in mind, but being a rather diminutive holographic display, he suffers from being rather transparent in his attacks.

Jumped message – Finally, he manages to stealthily approach you. The Second Coalition really aided him this round. You can’t fault his foresight, either – having trained extensively in golf, he could notice a bogey coming a mile away.

Success messages :

1. Napoleon’s insidious assault (consisting primarily of punches to the shins) connects joyously. Only a peace treaty can quell his diminutive wrath, if only temporarily.
2. Napoleon considers comparisons to a particular fantastical island inhabitant to be quite discourteous. He illustrates his anger by attacking you, and the hit connects. He sincerely hopes you enjoy the severe bruising.

Miss messages

1. Like his dreams for a Frank dominion over Europe, Napoleon’s attack falls short. The magnitude of his failure is inversely proportionate to his height.
2. He sure is cross for having failed in that attack. He’s bound to develop a complex over it.

Items acquired
Tricorner hat (1); dynamite (1-2)

Stats
2-3 in every stat.

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:11 pm

I like it!
-Coda

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:18 pm

I really like the heavy feeling of sarcasm I got from that. Could you please show us a example of a non combat. I like the idea so far.

pw079
Forum Poster

Unread post by pw079 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 am

Hmm i like this, especially if there is a tricorn hat involved lol
~PW079

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 am

its a bit wordy for my tastes, but I like it.

-jB

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:38 am

I think it could be chiseled down to a refined feel and be pretty awesome. It is still in a very raw stage, but I think it has some great potential! Id love to see a noncombat too!
-Coda

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Nah, not too wordy at all. Too wordy for people who don't actually read the text, but those people... well, won't read the text anyway. Disappointing but true.

I'd also like to see some more information about the zone itself (ie. where is it? is it always available? are there special requirements? what's the point of it? etc.) as well as non-combats and details of the item drops and so on. You know, the usual stuff.

Just a couple of points:

- Combats require a title, description, opponent initiative, player initiative, 3 x opponent hit, 3 x opponent miss messages. There are also several "optional" messages that CAN be used if required.

- Stats are not determined by the opponent, but based on a somewhat complicated formula which takes into account the opponent's power, the player's power, the type of attack and the player's stat balance. So there's no need to specify that.

- Items require a title, description, modifier details (eg. +5% initiative or +2 Brawn etc.) and appropriate use messages, depending on the type of item (eg. consumption message for food, or hit/miss/fumble messages for weapons etc.)

In all cases, the more information you can provide, the more likely your idea is to be included in the game, at least quickly. We DO take random ideas on board, but unless they're spectactularly awesome ideas, we're more likely to keep working on the ideas we already have than try to "fill in the blanks" on someone else's idea.

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 am

Stats determined by a formula? That's perfectly reasonable, so I'll exclude stat improvements in subsequent write-ups. Either case, I'll expand on the idea when I can. Here's a non-combat description, along with a few item explanations.

Tricorner Hat
Type: Hat
Defense: 15
Autosell value: (open for discussion; I'm not sure what specific price to include here)

This hat reminds you of a simpler time, when people reserved corners for there more enterprising objects - such as this far. The producer of this hat, whose name has since been lost to time and copious amounts of forgetfulness, assures the wearer that it contains 100% edible cotton fiber should the need arise.

Dynamte
Type: combat item
Autosell value: 15 per unit
Plural: container of dynamite

Refined by Alfred Nobel, this particularly explosive, cherry-red form of the common retrievable stick comes coupled with a warranty, promising a satisfying detonation (but strangely, no refunds are available).

Combat message: You toss the elongated explosive towards your opponent, watching it as it arcs nicely and swiftly. When it connects, you swear you hear the answer to the age-old koan: "What is the sound of one hand clapping before dynamite hits it?"

Monk Beats Rock
You wander through the unforgiving (and oddly flickering and moody) rocky terrain characteristic of legendary China (or, at least, Western perceptions of it), when you notice a strange figure approaching you from the distance. When you close in, you recognize the traditional outfit of a Buddhist monk. The monk introduces himself, unimaginatively, as Itinerant Monk. You suspect he officially changed his name to that to confound curious travelers, but you don't press that point. The monk describes a particular boulder he met one winter afternoon during his youth: "The boulder and I spoke at length of various things, but the boulder didn't take well to my perspective that boulders inherently are weak to bamboo canes, so I had to demonstrate." With his all-too-brief story concluded, he presents you with the cane he dispatched the unfortunate boulder with. Nodding and tipping his hat, he continues his walk.

You acquire 1 bamboo cane.

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Just one thing I'd like to add to Gobb's 'Points to Consider':
Paradox is not Earth, which means that it has its own countries, holidays, calendar, and famous historical figures. This doesn't mean that I dislike the idea In fact, I really like it. But, for instance, there is no China in Paradox. There may be a country that looks like Earth's China, smells like Earth's China, and has a wall as big as Earth's China...but it's not called China. Perhaps it's called Corelle...*shrug*(please, someone get that)
Basically what I'm saying is that we're creating a new world for this game, and while that world will most assuredly reference Earth, it is not Earth.

genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Unread post by genghizcohen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:15 pm

DrWolf wrote:Just one thing I'd like to add to Gobb's 'Points to Consider':
Paradox is not Earth, which means that it has its own countries, holidays, calendar, and famous historical figures. This doesn't mean that I dislike the idea In fact, I really like it. But, for instance, there is no China in Paradox. There may be a country that looks like Earth's China, smells like Earth's China, and has a wall as big as Earth's China...but it's not called China. Perhaps it's called Corelle...
I've been wondering about that. It seems obvious to me what Briddains earth-analogue would be, but what is Fargiua a parallel of? Anyone wanna help me out here? Also, maybe we could just make this a combat encounter the famous Napolodeon, the military dictator of Franks.
Genghizcohen, leader of the bronze horde.

Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm

DrWolf wrote:Just one thing I'd like to add to Gobb's 'Points to Consider':
Paradox is not Earth, which means that it has its own countries, holidays, calendar, and famous historical figures. This doesn't mean that I dislike the idea In fact, I really like it. But, for instance, there is no China in Paradox. There may be a country that looks like Earth's China, smells like Earth's China, and has a wall as big as Earth's China...but it's not called China. Perhaps it's called Corelle...*shrug*(please, someone get that)
Basically what I'm saying is that we're creating a new world for this game, and while that world will most assuredly reference Earth, it is not Earth.

Now I like your idea of a world that references or, to a point, parodies Earth. But then again, all of this probably takes in a small place(well right now, it's all taking place just around PU)

Maybe the main map would have different places that sort of as a pseudo-Chinatown? Different parts of the city represent a culture. The whole "Monk Itinierary" would take in this Chinatown-esque place or some sort instead of actually being in another place. It would definitely save some headaches for the devs as they dont have to create an entirely new place out of code when they could just make it into a zone thats "nearby".

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Chachoregard wrote:Now I like your idea of a world that references or, to a point, parodies Earth. But then again, all of this probably takes in a small place(well right now, it's all taking place just around PU)

Maybe the main map would have different places that sort of as a pseudo-Chinatown? Different parts of the city represent a culture. The whole "Monk Itinierary" would take in this Chinatown-esque place or some sort instead of actually being in another place. It would definitely save some headaches for the devs as they dont have to create an entirely new place out of code when they could just make it into a zone thats "nearby".
Considering the idea calls for what is essentially a building-sized equivalent of the holodeck, the monk encounter would simply be a holographic display designed around Paradox-China (whatever it gets call, assuming it gets included). It's not entirely necessary to construct the entire country from scratch, if we're only going to have that one encounter coded for the holographic arena. Still, your point is valid.

Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:41 pm

HamanKarn wrote:
Chachoregard wrote:Now I like your idea of a world that references or, to a point, parodies Earth. But then again, all of this probably takes in a small place(well right now, it's all taking place just around PU)

Considering the idea calls for what is essentially a building-sized equivalent of the holodeck, the monk encounter would simply be a holographic display designed around Paradox-China (whatever it gets call, assuming it gets included). It's not entirely necessary to construct the entire country from scratch, if we're only going to have that one encounter coded for the holographic arena. Still, your point is valid.
But then, there would be have to be at least logical, if not a little bit insane, explanation of why there's a bloody building sized Holodeck sitting quiet in the city, unbeknownst to the people of Paradox City. It would also, partly, explain some of the story too. (That is, IF it ever gets included.)

Topic author
HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Unread post by HamanKarn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Chachoregard wrote:
HamanKarn wrote:

But then, there would be have to be at least logical, if not a little bit insane, explanation of why there's a bloody building sized Holodeck sitting quiet in the city, unbeknownst to the people of Paradox City. It would also, partly, explain some of the story too. (That is, IF it ever gets included.)
Without going into patently absurd, apologetic rationalizations, we can reserve it for a future-time Paradox when the technology for the arena becomes available. :mrgreen:

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:40 am

Perhaps any sort of random monsters/non-combats that don't really fit in anywhere else but still seem kind of fun could be pushed into an all-inclusive holodeck feature.

Perhaps this holodeck's illusions could be a direct reference to Earth and its history, presented as fiction.

-jB

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:47 am

1. It's actually called 'Farg'...and you'll find out what all it references later on as the game progresses.=o)
2. Please keep in mind that right now, the game is still in its beginning stages. The world of Paradox! The Musical is still being developed. The University is merely what we have completed at this time.
3. I don't really have a third point, but it makes it seem more official if there are at least three points in a list like this...so I'll make something up. Um...living is the number one cause of death in humans, so the only way to avoid death is to stop living.=o)

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm

I mean, this is Paradox, an obscured area like this would be awesome. More or so, if it was say, a Holographic area like a Museum, it wouldn't be so far-fetched to say it needs to be in the future, we already have holographic dice in case you have all forgot. :P

I think a Museum would be fitting to add to the town center, fits, lots of universities are surrounded by culture, despite its anger inducing napoleons. xD

Of course an area like this being in the Town Center doesn't have to initially be accessible, but i mean, how hard could a hologram be to fight, lol, no harder then an ant im sure. rofl.

Adding to the points, i mean the flow of the area has kinda been established and once you get one thing set, you need to figure out where it is leading, and as a museum of sorts, famous would leaders, presidents, and a crazy hun would be awesome. We all know we need more weapons, and what better than a Hun's Rapier. xD

Obviously no set stats could be put in place for items or effects without knowing how far up in the quest itinerary it is going to be, so the most we could do is layouts with possible snag lines and whatnot. :)

With that said, shouldn't we be focusing more on when the area is going to be accessible more than what the monsters in the area are going to be or what items they will drop. Cus we can rough out ideas all day, but then again, we need details, and details can't really be laid out till we solve that issue. :)

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:01 pm

a good location idea all around and like idea of it being a Museum or maybe even a library... where else can you learn the History of a World/place.... it could even be a tour of sorts for new players and old to take to learn the who what when and where of the Paradox universe...

one thing i was thinking it would a great place for Scaling Mobs and maybe even limit the amount of turns someone could spend in the area a day or reset... kinda like Dooks in ToG... that way it dosent just become abused for stats but with scaling mobs it would always be a interesting place to go and level for all characters.... and maybe a cost to get into the location that could be more expensive as your higher level or if you want to go through multiple times in a day....

It could also have the non coms that tie into maybe seeing different times or places of the paradox universe and could be updated on a bases like when a museum gets a new exhibit..... but lots of cool ideas

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:38 am

If it were a library, you could have a library card that functions much in the same way as the mining permit, allowing you access to the area. That way, it could reach a point after you've spent so many adventures in the library, you lose your library card and cant get another one until you travel through time again. Just a thought.

-jB

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 pm

I like the library idea too, it could obviously be a Library or a Museum, letting a restriction in like a Library Card (that gets revoked) or a Museum Pass (that expires) would definitely be a fun, non-quest interfering area like the mine. Where even in this case you could have Hologram Books/Displays, and Non-combat encounters that start maybe as such, "Your eyes grow tired of all the holographic radiation and you decide to read a book/pamphlet for a change" and you could gain either Brains or HP & TP due to no radiation.

I dont know about the scaling bit, but it would definitely be helpful to have a scaling area, but it may make things a bit too easy to level up.

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I read a part about not reading the text, then I scrolled down to cm's post.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:44 pm

lol, classy LGod. :P