Portable Devices?

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Portable Devices?

Unread post by Chachoregard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Someone said this on a separate thread, about using neat little gadgets that would act like Familiars. Different devices do different things, ranging from defense, to upping Monster Level. Like, lets say a boom box(like someone else said ina separate thread) can cause Damage, or to an extent, up Monster Level

For example:
Shoddy Boombox
Well, you thought you saw everything, but this is new. This Boombox has all of the different needs you could use back in the 70s. eight-track tape, with a tape stuck in, a ridiculously huge antenna, weak speakers, and a neat little dial that sometimes snaps off every once in a while. You would use this to walk around the town, dancing in a ridiculous gait, but you rather not due to the increasingly annoying high-pitched sound that emanates from the speakers as soon as you turn it on and you don't wanna get beaten up by annoyed passerbys. Why did you even buy this, anyways?

Effects:
+5 Monster Level
+3 Weapon Damage
You see where im gettin' at, here?

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Portable Devices?

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Sounds just like an off-hand item to me.

Topic author
Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 pm

In a sense, yes it does sound like an off-hand item, but this is a Device. Device can take up a equipment slot, but it could also house an Upgrade slot. Basically, an item that boosts the capabilities of a Device to a certain point. At some point, we all upgrade our devices, right?

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:37 am

If we got to a point at which there was an LE item that resembled a ghetto-blaster, as it were, then I propose a daily allotment of summons in the form of cassette tapes that give some sort of effect.

-jB

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Hmmm, ok, so it's an equipment item that behaves completely differently to any other equipment item. That complicates things. A lot.

Having said that, though, the suggestion, along with other suggestions made in other threads recently (Mounts thread for example) are tending very much towards the kind of things we actually have in mind, and have spent a significant amount of time discussing, which is good.

I really can't go into too much detail right now, but I can confirm that these things will almost certainly be coming, and based on these threads, I think you'll like what we have in store.

Feel free to continue discussion, though, because nothing's set in concrete and we'll take your thoughts into consideration :)

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:55 pm

after rethinking my idea on Portable Devices that first showed up in Mounts... I agree with Gobb most of them would be off hand equipment unless there was some in-game reason or event that had made them become animated.... making them behave more like (kol familiars, mounts,what ever you want to call them) every idea i had could easily be off hand devices (ghetto blaster, cell phone, metal detector,) oh well back to the drawing board.... but then we do have animated/living pants so who knows... living devices... Im so confused....

cant wait to see what you guys have planned already....
Last edited by invisible on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm

I just jizzed in my pants upon reading Gobb's post.
-Coda

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 am

Gobb, would it help uncomplicate anything if it were a device that spit out an off-hand on the first use, and usable items afterward? That may actually curb people from doing craploads of resets too, if you ever feel the need.

-jB

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Not really, no. But it's still in line with other stuff we've been talking about, and there's a certain dev team member who seems to really like the idea. Just saying :)