Bank?

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
littlemissy
Forum Regular

Bank?

Unread post by littlemissy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48 am

And I mean a real bank.

Not just a place to stash your moolah but something that will earn interest over time(see time)

This is one of my irks in kol because they don't have a functioning bank, just a closet where your meat sits in while it rots away. So much so that a regular player (a.k.a Bank of Kol) has pretty much served as the main bank of the kolers ever since he/she started it. I don't technically know how he does it but he does it well and has earned the kingdom (or so he says) over 5 billion meat using deposits.

The interest doesn't have to be large, i'll let you work out what's best since you know how the paradox economy is doing. And just a little incentive to players to continue playing on a daily basis, you can add a feature so that you have to collect your interest manually each day/week/month/whenever.

Anyways this is just me putting my economics background to work... Feel free to criticize (^_^)

Blaize
Forum Addict

Re: Bank?

Unread post by Blaize » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:09 am

I imagine some player or another will set up an unofficial bank, Bank of KOL fully intends to set up a Paradox one i know.

Maybe an official one would be better. Bank of KOL minimum deposit is horrendous (something in the millions) so making one where anyone could stash any amount of moolah would be good. It would also stop the risk of fake banks/scammers. Players wouldn't need to use them, therefore no-one gets scammed by it.

I must admit the idea of a game bank has crossed my mind too, so it has my vote. :)

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:14 am

Not enough moolah circulating to make an effective bank.

Also, the whole premise of a bank earns people money because people want to save, if people didn't want to save Bank of KoL or whatever it is, wouldn't survive. Put it this way, if everyone withdrew their money, gg.

Topic author
littlemissy
Forum Regular

Unread post by littlemissy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 am

@ Mrso
Really Bank of Kol wants to set up a bank in Paradox? well good for them

@Elu
Yes there isn't a lot of money circulating now, but there is still the willingness to save (ie me)
Since the game is still in alpha, I wouldn't expect a lot of things going on in the economy but in the future when there is a lot of money going around I would really like to see an official bank in Paradox

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 am

I remember a talk about this from long ago.

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:21 pm

A Bank is a great idea but would have to function as a true bank and not just a location where players but Moolah to make more moolah.... there has to be a reason for the Moolah gain... A loan system of some sort.. BOK is taking your meat and investing it in IotM and such to make the little bit of meat you get it return and BOK only works for the filthy rich in KOL... Or players who might be taking a break in the game and don't want their meat doing nothing.... another thing that could be interesting would be a stock market a true risk... that generated true lose and gains on a daily bases that could be played with and speculated on... Just a Thought....

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

I have to admit, I find the idea of an official "proper" bank really interesting, but I also know it would be horrendously complicated to implement in any meaningful way. Seriously, I'm no economist and brain hurts just thinking about it at any level beyond a very superficial one. I'll have to come back to it when I have more brain space.

Topic author
littlemissy
Forum Regular

Unread post by littlemissy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Yeah i figured coding it and everything would be a real pain. Hope you get more brain space (^_^)
And Invi I think an in game stock market would be cool too but I'd think it would even be a bigger pain to implement than the bank (^_^)
Lets just take baby steps (^_^)

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm

There has definitely been a lot of discussion about the potential for an in-game bank...and I can assure you that it is anything but a 'baby step'.

Topic author
littlemissy
Forum Regular

Unread post by littlemissy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 am

Hey Drwolf, nice to meet you (^_^)
Can we call it 'adult strides' then?

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:02 am

Hey I resent that. I make meat from Bank of KoL, and Im not quite a filthy rich. But I agree that this would have to be a functioning Bank and not just a glorified stash. Maybe a bank with Loans, CDs, and varying interest rates depending on the amount of deposit and the period of deposit. I remember this being tossed around almost a year ago, but I still think it could be a valid concept.
-Coda

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I really like this idea...so much so that i suggested it back in October on a board called "Bank that pays interest/ Stock Market"...I'm glad someone has brought this up again...i still think it's be a good idea.

Now though...here are the things I do NOT like about that idea...which i can admit even though i had the same idea...my biggest would be that it creates more in game moolah generated by the game...which at this stage is not a problem...but if you take kol as an example...i can see quite a few currency saturation issues that would arise by having a bank creating more currency and giving that out on a set percent. Yes, I'm well aware of bank and his endeavors and while I'm still not sure if it's a great thing or not, what i will say is it at least doesn't create more system generated currency...the currency it runs on comes from players who generated it somewhere. I guess what I'm saying is when implementing this kind of thing it takes a lot of thought.

A stock market COULD work VERY well I think IF it was set up to be a moolah equalizer or sink. As such i mean that when you take the moolah average paid out over time it comes out so the market has created no extra moolah in the game or possibly even sucked some out. Thus it is a very weight risk and gamble. I think a stock market that works like the real one would be nice too except people often tend to make money off of them and inflating the economy over the long term could possibly be a bad thing. Then again what do I know..my 401k lost money last year, damn it. :D

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm

First off, let me say that any official banking system is not a high priority at this point.

That being said, I am also in favor of an in-game bank for the simple reason that it eliminates player-run banks, which are most often used to bilk players out of their in-game profits. Not that all player-run banks are scams. But how does a player know which are and which aren't? A built in banking system may not eliminate the scammers completely, but it would give players an immediately trusted source to do 'business' with.

As far as a 'stock market' goes, on what would the shares of stock be granted against? In the real world they are issued by companies and are valued based on that company's history and its projected health.

Here are a couple of ideas:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A player could, with a proper payment to some Paradoxian authority, be granted an IPO with some set number of shares. This would allow other players to purchase shares of stock in that player. No player would be allowed to sell more than 49% of their stock and no more than x% could be sold to a single player. Proceeds from the sale of stock would go the player, but the player would have to pay dividends on a periodic basis, assuming a successful operation.

The major problem with this approach is that the amount of historical data tracking (and reporting to players) that the game would have to perform could be substantial.

Another idea, one which would provide for more control by the devs for using the market as a stabilizing mechanism to the economy, would be to allow players to purchase stock based on NPC stores. Stock prices would be determined both by store activity and influenced by market "news" updates. heh
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I put these ideas out just to keep the discussion rolling. As I said, it's not likely you'll see either of these features rolling out anytime in the near future. There are way too many other things that must be handled first.

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Gorkly the end of your post about NPC stores was where my idea was heading and i had talked to Gobb about a little and he had asked me to post more info about but had not gotten around to.... you could sell stocks in company like Dixon and more of the NPC stores and yes as lets say there is a new item or concept added to the game this could cause prices in stock to rise in fall

another idea i had that i purposed to Gobb a little was to have stock tied to certain items that are in high demand or could be in high demand.... as me and Gobb both thought it would come off a little more of a new style of gambling as well as a playble market... and yes anytime you play the market you are gambling

a possible idea was a gold and silver market tied to the rings of each type and maybe new items added to the system to cause demand in the items on occasion causing the market value to change (shirt,gloves)even a set of gold and silver might be cool.... and yes we would need someone who has a good knowledge of economics and the market to tell us how to make this work and not become a sink or a moolah loop hole...

another strange idea i had was a set of semi-rare turns that could be stumbled upon.. that would be like (Insider Trading Info) what is hot what is not.. for people who read what they play and are paying attention...

So just some more ideas out there... pull out your baseball bats and have fun as usual...

Topic author
littlemissy
Forum Regular

Unread post by littlemissy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:22 am

invisible wrote: another strange idea i had was a set of semi-rare turns that could be stumbled upon.. that would be like (Insider Trading Info) what is hot what is not.. for people who read what they play and are paying attention...
Lol and then we could have some Martha Stewart references (^_^)

I love the NPC Stock market idea, more than the player stock market one (much too confusing)

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:20 am

Well this is a time travel game right?...I'm going back in time and buying shares of Kodak and IBM and several others.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm

pfft. I'm going back in time to purchase shares of jimmy.

I suggest yall do the same.

-jB

Topic author
littlemissy
Forum Regular

Unread post by littlemissy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 am

jimmyBUFFET wrote:pfft. I'm going back in time to purchase shares of jimmy.

I suggest yall do the same.

-jB
Ok just got back from the past, bought a bajillion shares of jimmy (^_^)
(I'm a very obedient person, lol)