Clickable Effects?

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Clickable Effects?

Unread post by Chachoregard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Just putting a suggestion here, but can the effect names be clickable and a description of said effect?

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Re: Clickable Effects?

Unread post by SportGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:14 pm

To me that would seem to be spoilery and defeating the purpose of the wiki.

Edit to this thought:

Unless you mean a verbal description that describes the effect without tell you anything about what it actually does do for you on stats, gains, etc. But then my question is how much like TOG do we have to get?

Impalix
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Impalix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:21 pm

That would seem? More like hitting the nail on the head. This suggestion is not viable -- sorry.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Just because ToG does or doesn't do something, doesn't automatically mean we shouldn't/should do it. If a player request is valid and useful, we'll definitely consider it regardless. In fact, in this case there's already an item on my increasingly-unlikely-to-ever-be-completed to-do list to do exactly that.

First, though, someone'll have to write a brief description of every effect that gives vague hints without actually describing what it does. If there are any someones who feel up to doing that for the 30+ effects currently in the game (just a sentence or two for each), feel free to send them to me. Otherwise, we'll get around to it someday, probably.

EDIT: We already have descriptions for
Spoiler:
Pink Clouds, Foulmouthed, Furnunculoidosis and Sole Survivor
so that's just 27 that need descriptions.

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:33 pm

You mean 27+?

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:18 pm

No, 27 would be 26+ :)

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm

I think what Chacho is asking for is something that was added to ToG in one of its latest updates... any effect you aquire through equipment, items or turns is now clickable to see what the effect does and i agree with Sportguy it kills the wiki and such.. also i dont know how ToG plans to handle this new update as new effects are added to the game.... so it could kill spading... and this game is way to young at this point for us to need such a system...

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 am

If that is indeed what Chacho is asking for (ie. something to click that tells you EXACTLY what an effect does) then I agree. Some people really like to spade and that's fine by me and not something I'd want to prevent.

What I'm talking about is something ToG has had for ages. You can click on an active effect and it gives you a very short paragraph about the effect, which really tells you nothing except the vaguest of vague hints in most cases. That doesn't hurt spading in the slightest IMHO. Granted, it's not massively helpful either, and not something I'm in a massive hurry to do.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Candy Caned

All the peppermint in your breath is pissing off some local residents.

Here's a example of one I thought up. Is this what you were thinking by "vague hint" gobb?

Topic author
Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:06 pm

I actually meant just a DESCRIPTION of said effect. You click on the effect's name and you get a somewhat "vague" hint of what the effect does. Kinda like how some online games (notably KoL before they decided to put up what the effect really does)

Sorry for the confusion but I was a bit out of it that night. :/

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Spoiler:
That is a vague description. The effect "Candy Caned" increases monster power.

Edit:

Added spoiler tags. Please try to be mindful of these when posting potential spoilers, especially very direct spoilers.
-SG

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Something like that I guess, heli. Only probably a little bit longer, more creative and less profane.

Something like: "You're infused with sugary, minty freshness. So much so that a cloud of minty vapour surrounds you everywhere you go, and that's a lot more annoying than you might think."

You know, just off the top of my head.