Just two ideas...

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Just two ideas...

Unread post by jupider » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Okay, neither of these are *important* by any means, but they came across my mind and I just needed to put them out there.

One, I have no need for this, but someone may: Sorting pMails by sender (and maybe subject as well) as well as date received.

Two, to go along with avatars, the ability to change the icon by your name in the chat window. I know a lot of prominent paracites have them, but us lowly folk may feel jealous or unworthy. Again, I have no *need* for this, but it would be nice. Of course, they would still need to be approved by the proper people so everyone just doesn't change their icon to a red shirt or Homer Simpson or something. Maybe after an icon is submitted a required red or green dot could be superimposed in a corner of the image.

That's all for now.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Just two ideas...

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 pm

1. It's already on the to-do list, for inclusion when there are more people (along with the ability to display n messages per page etc.).

2. We considered that a while back and decided it would just get too confusing. At 16x16 pixels, distinguishing between ranks would get awfully difficult, and managing the images would be a nightmare for us. Not something we want to look at right now. Besides, we really *like* being the only people allowed to have custom chat icons. Makes us feel speshul ;)

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:45 pm

I strongly support these ideas.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:05 am

LG did you miss the part where I said no? If you REALLY want us to reconsider, someone's going to have to come up with some pretty compelling reasons.

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 am

Gobberwart wrote:LG did you miss the part where I said no? If you REALLY want us to reconsider, someone's going to have to come up with some pretty compelling reasons.
Yes, I honestly did.

Don't hurt me.

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:28 am

How about if he gives you a Klondike bar? :D

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Sheep enjoy advertising. Like, for example giving heliosa10 a sheep chat icon. Which would maybe convince them to support your re-election campaign. We know how much being governor of paradox means to you, and you would get a lot of votes on a pro sheep platform, Mr. Gobberwart. And on that subject, you have a very nice campaign there. Wouldn't want something to happen to it, like, for say, someone "loses" all your votes. Of course, that will never happen. Right... Mr. Gobberwart?

DrWolf
Forum Addict

Unread post by DrWolf » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Votes? When did this become a democracy?=op

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:29 am

I thought this was a dictatorship where Gob was dictator and other leaders were family....it worked for Saddam for a long time after all.

But in all seriousness, let's keep this thread on track...did anyone actually have compelling reasons for gob to do either of the points discussed?

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 am

If I am totally getting the idea wrong, kick me.

The ability to change your own chat icon may be only introduced as a donation gift and/or as a token item. This, in my point of view, might increase token sales. As for ranking confusion, I agree with green/red/violet/black dots at the corner of the image. And as for making you guys feel 'speshul' (which sadly I had to look up in the dictionary before giving myself a facepalm), you always are. You can play with the game... that's more speshul than a 16x16 picture.

Okay, kick me now.

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:10 am

I agree Dev's should be the only people allowed to have a chat avatar. Its just easier that way. a dot in the corner of a 16x16 image would be ridiculous. No custom chat avatar. Character avatar's are good enough.
-Coda

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

just a thought here but maybe when there are character classes there could then be a new chat Icon for each class.... which then could make everyone feel Speshul..... this would also be cool for players looking to hire skills from certain classes... and trade will not be full of... " Is there any pastamancers available to cook for me" just a thought

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:06 pm

invisible wrote:just a thought here but maybe when there are character classes there could then be a new chat Icon for each class.... which then could make everyone feel Speshul..... this would also be cool for players looking to hire skills from certain classes... and trade will not be full of... " Is there any pastamancers available to cook for me" just a thought
Interesting Idea. We should see what a dev thinks

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:14 pm

I think the idea has merit and, if we can find a way to do something like that without making the chat userlist ridiculously messy, we'll probably do something like that. Right now, it's not relevant to what we're currently working on, so we'll look at it again at an appropriate time.