game specific holidays

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Rapthorne
Forum Poster

game specific holidays

Unread post by Rapthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:09 am

how about holidays, on these days (in rotation of like bi-monthly, or whatever) certain new areas open up, or a certain monster becomes available to fight

well, as paradox is based in a university, what about a prom night?

special booze could be available (spiked punch, and so on) certain special effects (slow dance, raises stats by a few points, possibly)

and, of course, the adventure area of "Prom Hall" opening up for the day, with unique encounters only for that area, on that day

tell me what you think, guys

Topic author
Rapthorne
Forum Poster

Re: game specific holidays

Unread post by Rapthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:31 am

encounter possibilities for a prom night holiday

disgruntled ex partner

you vaguely remember the face, but for the life of you can't remember the name, not that that matters, as conversation doesn't seem to be on the agenda
(drops- unsure on this one)

Clumsy Dance Partner

this nerd has never been to a prom before, and keeps trampling on your toes, that's it, enough is enough, there is only so much punishment your piggies can take, time to throw down
(drops: left footed shoes (pair of shoes, but both for the left feet >.< referance to the saying you dance like you have 2 left feet)

Annoying Staff Superviser

this is a staff member who thinks he is more important than he actually is, because some one higher up has told him to take charge

unfortunately, all he succeeds in doing is spoiling your fun.
(drops: staff member badge, toupee, canteen of whiskey)

Drunken Fraternity Member

this guy has had so much to drink, he can barely stand up

hopefully, he's a funny drunk.......

nope, he's the other kind
(drops- spiked punch, vodka, punch (when combined make spiked punch) and a few other booze items)

this is all me just theorising, don't mind it
Last edited by Rapthorne on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Rapthorne
Forum Poster

Unread post by Rapthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:38 am

Non combats

panty raid

you and a few friends decide to raid the dorms for some..... trophies

succesful raid- you gain thong/grannypants/y fronts/g-string

unsuccessful (lose X hp (x being 10% of total health for player))

A Dance

suddenly, while you are crossing the hall, all the lights go out, and two spotlights activate, one shines on you, another on an eye catching beaty in the corner

seeing as you are in the spotlight, you don't really have a choice as they come up to you, and you wear what seems to be the waltz, starting, you take them by the waist, and slowly dance around the floor

at the end of the dance, you feel all fuzzy inside (gain an effect, fuzzy feeling inside, 10 adventures, plus10% to all stats, description- you feel warm and fuzzy inside, so warm and fuzzy, in fact, you feel you could take on the world)

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:06 am

woot for obscure musical refr'nces

Prom Queen

They loved her fancy underwear.
She's popular with all the guys.
So innocent in your eye.

And then you see her machete. You get the jump on her.
or
"Your throat will bleed your skin will burn!" says she. "As you look into her eyes" she attacks.

Attacks:
She pointed to your heart and stabbed it for X damage.
She attacks with roses, postcards, and machine guns (kisses), for a very obscure X damage.
"Goodbye" Oh boy, you do know that goodbye means forever. Um, X damage?

Miss:
You hear:
"Good morning, everybody. This is Principal Rogers, and I would
just like to congratulate our Senior class and wish them a great
time at tonight's Prom dance."
Which totally distracted her.

She did everything she could, but fails.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:12 am

I believe that high school proms are an American past-time, specifically...and really, there are a lot of other possibilities for holidays.

I do think in-game holidays would be pretty effing fun though, dont you?

-jB

Topic author
Rapthorne
Forum Poster

Unread post by Rapthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:24 am

as i said, it's just ramblings and theorising, for the moment

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:08 am

I personally think that holidays/events without a holiday or well known event tagged to them is a bit carried away, especially if they are going to just be held twice month or just every month. In these cases why not just make it a zone... It has no real holiday or event equivalent. So you are looking at a Prom, ok, that is a reasonable event, but it certainly isn't something that should happen more than once a year. It kind of makes me think of the whole KoL anniversary thing, but Gobb has that area covered in hobos... so we can't go there. lol. All in all, Gobb pretty much has the holiday thing down, he is filling in this prime-time holiday free part of the year with new content... really, I can't see how you could be wanting more still.

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:02 am

Speaking of which... I gotta make up some homeless stuffs.
-Coda

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:52 pm

While I appreciate the input, I need to remind everyone again that Paradox is NOT "based in a University". There's a university there, sure, and that's where you start, but it ain't based on a University, or university life, or anything like that. The idea for the zone may still have merit, but please try and remember that fact when making suggestions.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:59 pm

I think that for my money, the fact that the holidays in the game correspond to holidays in reality prevents the schedule from being cluttered, prevents the devs from being overworked on new content, and really makes holidays a lot more special. every month in KoL, there are like four holidays, and there is new content for every sspd, outfits and stuff for each of the others...its just overkill. maybe not for them, but for us.

As it is, every holiday that happens in real life (that aren't easy to forget about or miss, and during which most of us have some free time to be on pdox) has scaled monsters for the levelling types, new content for the spades and the diamonds, and a whole bunch of typos/mistakes for those of you who enjoy one-upping the devs. Personally, this seems like plenty, at least for now. Let's not forget this game isn't even in beta yet.

-jB

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:04 pm

One issue with tying game holidays to real life holidays is the fact that... well, they're holidays and people like to do real life holiday stuff on those days. While it's fun to add stuff on those days, it means quite a few people will miss out, and that sucks.

There's also the fact that the Paradox calendar runs something like four years to every real life year, so coming up with plausible reasons why there's a game holiday every four years (ish) is kinda sucky.

At this stage, we're pretty well thinking the current real-life holidays that we have are sufficient (christmas, easter, halloween and the awesome talk-like-a-pirate-day). We'll look at adding some in-game holidays (tied to the game calendar) as we progress with the storyline and come up with vaguely plausible reasons for it.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm

i would like to add that having holidays be available for longer than one day helps a lot with the availability issues, gobb...and it gives us all more time to fret over whether we have all we need at the end of it.

-jB

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:30 am

Agreed. We tried that with the Easter content and it worked a treat. Noted for future reference.