Dual wield

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Dad
Forum Regular

Dual wield

Unread post by Dad » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Any thoughts on duel wielding? Could/should it happen? Should you have to purchase the ability? On this point, what are your thoughts on purchasing abilities that you can use in battle or otherwise?

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Duel wield

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Skills/abilities, including dual wield, should and will happen at some point, for absolute certain. When? It's currently scheduled for "sometime in the next 6 months, depending on workload and dev availability".

In the short term, if anyone has any thoughts on how they'd like to see it work, feel free to share.

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:42 pm

Would you be able to dual wield two off hand items, and then fight with your fists?

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:29 am

i guess the big question i have is whether one would get twice the proficiency gains from dual wielding the same type of weapon, or two types of proficiencies by holding two different weapon classes.

-jB

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Elusis: No. Offhand items can only go in your, um, off-hand.

Jimmy: Short answer - yes.

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 pm

one thing i would like to see is more of a power rating on skills or scaling system.... if you look at some skills on games like KOL some are 10 times more powerful then others but all skills take one run to acquire.... with some type of rating system a skill with little use should be easier to get then a must have skill...

in example in duel wielding would be that as you spent more runs using it and perming more points into it the more possible damage you would get from your off hand....

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 am

Diablo-style skills system? Interesting. Keep debating.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 am

i actually totally support that system. it would add more replay value too, which is, im assuming, the long-term goal :D

on a totally unrelated wavelength, what about a munchkin-esque way of adding hands so we could wield three hands worth of weapon...or 4? or 12? probably not twelve, but I think I've made the point.

-jB

Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Dual wield

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:39 am

Grrrr, I had to change the OP topic.. "duel wield" and "dual wield" are totally different things.

Anyway... noted Jim-Bob. Keep the ideas a-comin'.

Topic author
Dad
Forum Regular

Unread post by Dad » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 am

ARG, I thought I put Dual, I remember changing it as it said duel. Liking the ideas thought.

Topic author
Dad
Forum Regular

Unread post by Dad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:26 pm

I thought perhaps you might gain the skills on a normal adventure which stands up on its own. There would be a low chance to get the skill result.
Here are a couple of ideas that I came up with for implementing them.

Name: Missing Act

As you walk through the park you suddenly get mobbed by screaming fans before being pulled violently into a passing limousine. It seems you are the spitting image of the headlining act in the parks year-round music festival. Unfortunatly your double hasn't turned up and the man makes you an offer that you can't refuse while another man opens up a large briefcase full of moolah.

Politely decline.
Seems that you can refuse the offer but maybe you shouldn't have.
You get the snot beaten out of you.

Give it a go.
You get get up on stage and sing a few songs. The crowd don't seem to notice that the words aren't right and everyone enjoys the show.
Gain Moolah and some sort of good effect.

OR

You get get up on stage and sing a few songs. Unfortunately the crowd were actually paying attention and you get boo'ed off the the stage.
Gain Moolah and 'Boo'ed off' effect.

OR

You get up on stage and decide that your not going to be able to do this on talent alone. Time to bring out the big guns. You powerslide your way across the stage exciting the crowd. WOOOO!!
Gain Moolah and 'Power slide' skill

OR

You get up on stage and decide that your not going to be able to do this on talent alone. Time to bring out the big guns. You attempt to powerslide your way across the stage but land on your knees going nowhere. The crowd laughs you off the stage.
Gain Moolah and 'Laughed off' effect

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Powerslide skill

This skill may be used instead of a normal attack and is very powerful but the success rate is low.

Successful - You slide your way towards the enemy and it get distracted by how awesome you look. You crash straight into the enemy causing --- damage.

Unsuccessful - Seems you haven't perfected this yet as you land on your knees going nowhere. The enemy laughs at you, which hurts your feelings. Then they beat you, this hurts your body, A lot.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Name: Lost horde

As you travel through the mine you discover a cavern with 4 priceless works of art on the wall and some less expensive weapons on the floor. You should probably tell someone about this but it is currently being robbed. You decide to make the best use of the weapons on the floor and leave your pick on a steady rock.

Protect the Da Vinci.
Picking up the only katana from the floor you fend off the intruder. You take the painting off the wall and it crumbles to dust in your hands but not before giving you a splinter, OUCH! Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone about this after all but you did gain a pretty katana.
Gain katana

Protect the Rafael.
Picking up a couple of Sai from the floor you drop one immediately remembering you can only fight one handed. The intruder beats you up pretty badly and carefully takes all the paintings.

OR
Protect the Raphael.
Picking up a couple of Sai from the floor you suddenly learn how to fight with both hands and fend off the intruder. You take the painting off the wall and it crumbles to dust in your hands. Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone about this after all but you did gain some nice Sai.
Gain 2 Sai and 'Dual Wield' skill

Protect the Michelangelo.
Picking up some nunchaku from the floor you fend off the intruder. You take the painting off the wall and it crumbles to dust in your hands. Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone about this after all but you did gain some pretty nice nunchaku.
Gain nunchaku

Protect the Donatello.
Being a Bo Selecter you select a bōstaff from the floor and fend off the intruder. You pick up the scupture and it crumbles to dust in your hands. Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone about this after all but you did gain a bōstaff.
Gain bōstaff

Also a random chance of gaining a pizza on any of these.
Last edited by Dad on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Unread post by genghizcohen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Shouldn't the the Da Vinci actually be a Leonardo?
Genghizcohen, leader of the bronze horde.

Topic author
Dad
Forum Regular

Unread post by Dad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:28 pm

I thought his work would be better known by Da Vinci and it makes the reference a little more subtle but it could be changed to Leonardo if it makes more sense.

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:44 am

Leonardo had a pair of katana, if I remember correctly...he just fought with one about as often as he fought with both. Also, I think the splinter reference would fit better with the bostaff, seeing as it is indeed wooden. I'm ashamed that I didn't think of ideas for TMNT references first, by the way. props.

-jB

Topic author
Dad
Forum Regular

Unread post by Dad » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:07 am

Well noted but I had to make it one so that you had less chance of getting the skill. True, you mean in the bōstaff description? Thanks :)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Oh man. I... really like that. Good one!

Unfortunately we don't (yet) have the mechanics in place for skills, but they're right up there so I'll make a note of this because it's an interesting idea and... well, it's TMNT!

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:10 pm

well, i think this is the reason why Jick had to go and make set skills and run skills himself. lol. Just way to much awesomeness to be had by just 1 class.