Generic Mechanic Ideas

Got a suggestion as to how we can improve the game? Post it here!

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Generic Mechanic Ideas

Unread post by commandermack » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:37 am

Didn't see any mechanic pages, so here we go.

So I've pretty much been on an RPG playing streak the last couple of months and I recently started playing FFVIII again, which made me go "oh that would be kinda cool for paradox"; I am speaking of low health critical increases. In final fantasy when your health gets low enough, it turns yellow, signifying you are below the 30% health mark or something, and critical shots increase and specials activate more often. Seeing how Paradox is trying to be its own game, anything another online game isn't using seems to be a good step to take if it fits... I think increased criticals when in a "DANGER" state would fit in the unique area and work well with Paradox.

**NOTE** Ill be posting several ideas as I think of them, none of them are intended to be created or used immediately if at all.

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Re: Generic Mechanic Ideas

Unread post by commandermack » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:42 am

Paladin's Quest

OK, so this one is a bit aged, but it is unique cus the game doesn't incorporate MP(tp). So basicly where I am going with this is SKILLS. I have no idea where paradox stands on skills, classes, and all that whatnot, so this is just one of those brainstormed ideas to help the thought process when SKILLS come up on the agenda.

The idea of course is a combat skill that uses HP instead of TP, it would be kinda skewed if it was an HP amount, so I think it would have to be a percentage of total HP.

*I refer to the above note*

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:24 pm

commandermack wrote:and critical shots increase and specials activate more often.... I think increased criticals when in a "DANGER" state would fit in the unique area and work well with Paradox.
When you say "increased criticals", what exactly do you mean?
commandermack wrote:**NOTE** Ill be posting several ideas as I think of them, none of them are intended to be created or used immediately if at all.
No worries, input's always appreciated. Probably more so than you realise :)

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Gobberwart wrote:
commandermack wrote:and critical shots increase and specials activate more often.... I think increased criticals when in a "DANGER" state would fit in the unique area and work well with Paradox.
When you say "increased criticals", what exactly do you mean?
well, i mean increased in all aspects really; Occurance, Damage, Accuracy... all of the above. I mean if you don't like all aspects, feel free to consider just one.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Yeah, I know what "increased" means, but when you refer to "criticals", what specifically are you referring to? Are you suggesting that a weakened player should find themselves doing more damage to their opponents? Seems counter-intuitive to me.

invisible
Forum Addict

Unread post by invisible » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:38 pm

I agree with Gobb on the more damage for a weakened stat seems counter... but a higher chance of just inflicting a basic critical sounds interesting but only if there was also a down side to it..... because once you have a system like that players will look for ways to abuse the critical system by looking for ways to keep them self weak at all times to have higher chance of inflicting more critical ... TOG crit/stasis come to mind as one that has been abused in TOG speed runs....

Topic author
commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:20 am

well, im not mentioning stats other than HP, increased chance of dieing should constitute an increased chance of dealing damage... It totally falls under the "Oh shit, I don't wanna die" aspect of life. I mean, if you think you can live through 10% HP for the extra crit bonus to speed a run, seems a bit difficult to do right now on that note... but that is your option. We aren't talking like 5x critical shots or anything... something realistic towards the game.

Examples
20 brawn will have you at like 30ish HP... so the crit zone is only 1-3 HP.
100 brawn (given by now you should have already beaten legion) will have you at like 150ish HP... so the crit zone is 1-15HP. Still not that high considering that by the new zones the damage monsters deal is well in the 2x Max HP area at the start of the zone requirements.

Compliments
This would also compliment going bravado more as well as brawn... instead of one way or the other... kinda makes the stats a bit more linked.

Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 pm

How about just a fixed number? A good example would be the Paper Mario games, especially the second one, as there these's "badges" that when at Low HP you have a somewhat good chance to dodge attacks. There's also another badge that when at Peril Status (1 HP), attack is Doubled.
So if you've managed to get your HP whittled down to exactly 1, not one more, you would have an high crit chance as sort of basically mustering up your last ounce of strength. Doesn't exactly break the game or gets abused, as it's hard to get your HP down to exactly 1 without going over.

mastechno
Chat Moderator

Unread post by mastechno » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 pm

<3 the Paper Mario games! Those badges were awesome! I like teh ideas being thrown out for sure! And although there may be no way to whittle your HP down to 1 exactly...it's kinda like one of those instances where nothing is in teh game yet that could abuse this...but later on....kinda like how cards get put onto the banned/restricted list in Magic

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 pm

I agree it seems counter-intuitive... if your hp is low you should be weaker. But maybe if your HP is full, do 1.1x damage? A small bonus but a reward to always keeping your health full before each combat.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:26 pm

There are a number of reasons I don't think a change like this is a good idea. First, it's an annoyance to have to do that every round for an extremely minimal reward. Second, every action performed means an extra hit (or several hits) on the server and the database, which stretches available resources and means we're likely to see actual lag (as opposed to hosting-provider-created-artificial-lag) increase more quickly than it should.

Fact is, there are an almost infinite number of tweaks that could be made to the game like this, but... well, just how complicated and server-intensive do we want it to be? As it stands, if you have > 0 HP, the game considers you to be "healthy". 0 HP results in the Snotless effect. It's very simplistic but also very easy to understand and work with.

I'd rather spend time, effort and resources on larger issues I think, rather than little tiny tweaks.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Can we please not have "generic" or "general" threads? If you have a new topic, then start a new thread.