Login page redesign - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Discuss contests and special events happening in Paradox.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Login page redesign - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Ok, this isn't so much as a contest as it is an open-ended invitation to anyone who's artistic/creative to come up with a sleek and sexy new look for the Paradox login page, and who feels like a bit of a challenge.

Requirements: The page should fit with the general colour-scheme of the game, needs to provide space for username/password, a couple of updates and a little bit of info about the game. It should also ideally be no larger than 900 pixels wide by 600 pixels high (to fit on a 1024x768 screen with browser toolbars/borders etc.) and above all, it should be eyecatching and something we could maybe use as a screenshot to promote the game (when we're ready).

Payment: 3 Tokens of Appreciation, plus a nice little bit of text on the login screen that says "Login screen created by: <YOURNAMEHERE>" as well as the possibility of further design work down the track.

If you have a great idea and want to submit it, contact me in-game or send an email to gobberwart@paradoxthemusical.com and we'll go from there.

Cheers,
Gobb

Elusis
Forum Addict

Re: Login page redesign

Unread post by Elusis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm

So would we be coding all the html/css/etc? Or do we simply provide the graphics and somehow show what goes where?

Also I assume that the background and banner remain the same given how they are used ingame. The banner would also then count towards the 600x900 restriction?

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:05 am

I would say that the easiest way to show what goes where would be to code it in HTML/CSS/etc. I may try my hand, but don't expect anything too wonderful out of THIS Paracite. :D

-jB

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm

If you can write the HTML/CSS then by all means go ahead. On the other hand, if you just want to use a graphics program to make it look nice and then leave the coding up to me, that's also fine.

As for the banner and background, I'm looking for different ideas so by all means if you think you can make a better banner/logo, then feel free to change it to whatever great idea you have, and perhaps the game itself could be modified to fit.

Seriously, I'm looking for something really visually appealing and catchy, so don't let existing elements restrict your creativity.

Be aware, though, that if you change it up a lot and we absolutely love whatever you come up with, we might just start asking you for more :)

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 pm

Probably important to mention is that the game will be incorporating time travel, and quite a lot of it. If you can somehow work that into the theme, so much the better.

genghizcohen
Forum Regular

Unread post by genghizcohen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Does that mean gears? I have a ... fascination with gears.
Genghizcohen, leader of the bronze horde.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:46 pm

It means whatever looks awesome. Gears are fun :)

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:37 pm

waiting for my copy of photoshop to come in from amazon, once it does, i may give this a shot. ;P

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 pm

ProTip: Having trouble? Why not collaborate with someone?

I'm just saying.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:12 pm

And what size would the top banner have to be?

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Whatever size you think looks best. The ENTIRE page needs to fit within 900x600, so if you think a 900x580 banner looks awesome, leaving 20 pixels for content, go right ahead. Otherwise, I'm letting people with actual design skills figure it out.

Oh, another protip (better than a qtip): Do a rough draft first and send it through for feedback before spending 9 billion hours on a final design that's not what we need.

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Gobberwart wrote: Oh, another protip (better than a qtip): Do a rough draft first and send it through for feedback before spending 9 billion hours on a final design that's not what we need.
That's always right. Who just starts ahead without plans?

So, got no Idea on how to start? Try the internet, there's a lot of hot topics to help you!

That's what the game currently looks like, in 8bit rendering. You can change the arrangement of tables and whatnot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN copy ideas from other websites *just not Google (well you can)*

As you can see, I copied Google's format. I messed the color scheme so I did not continue. Please do your best to create a good page. I'm excited. Just don't waste Gob's time!

I want more people to play this game, and I hope you can convince them.
Last edited by LGOD on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

LGOD
Forum Addict

Unread post by LGOD » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:59 am

LGOD wrote:there's alot of hot topics!
I watched The View in my absence. Just noticed that.

Chachoregard
Forum Regular

Unread post by Chachoregard » Thu May 07, 2009 2:18 pm

I need to stop going only for the Suggestions board, since I just noticed this topic!

Will it be alright if I can make a banner, that incorporates a smexy new logo? Because I always wanted to make logos. ^_^

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu May 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Go for your life. I've kinda postponed this for the minute since it's.. well, it's not as important/essential as the massive list of content we need to work through and implement. It WILL happen at some point though, so the more ideas the better.

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:33 pm

So.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:33 pm

So indeed. Sorry this hasn't been our number one priority. It's not been forgotten, just put back while we work damn hard on getting more content rolled out.

There've been a couple of good entries received and I WILL get back to them when time allows.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, this topic has only been up for ages, so I have created/come up with, an Idea for a login page that will be very artistic, If anyone has any artistic skills at all, I thought we could split the prize if we won, My concept for 1 Token, and Your art for 2 Tokens, only fair. :) If you care to get my ideas and work with me on this. Just Message me in game. Same name as the user. :) Must say if the art is done well, the concept will come to life and just be amazing.

Zammorak
Forum Addict

Unread post by Zammorak » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:57 pm

Okay, so I changed colors of the 8-bit version of the front page (http://tinypic.com/r/24vv3vn/3), and this is what I came up with:
http://tinypic.com/r/2exacnr/3

Afterwards I decided I was unsatisfied, and created the following blueprints for my plan. I just have no computer graphics skills.
http://tinypic.com/r/281expl/3

Feel free to comment etc., but if you steal my ideas I'll cut you. :D

-Zammorak-

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Comment for Zamm: It's basically the same is it is now, only you've changed the colours and rearranged the boxes. That's not quite the "extensive overhaul" we need. Changes need to be REALLY different to make it worthwhile, otherwise it's just a tweak.

Comment for Mack: Your concept is definitely completely different and worth putting more work into. Good luck finding a graphic artist to work with :)

Zammorak
Forum Addict

Unread post by Zammorak » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:25 pm

I would work on it more if I had any clue what I was doing. All I know how to use on GIMP is the paint brush, paint can, and text, and that's my main problem. If I figure out more, I'll make another submission. :D

-Zammorak-

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:42 pm

I have my own entry that I haven't touched in months. But I wouldn't mind lending you a hand Mack.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:02 am

Zammorak wrote:I would work on it more if I had any clue what I was doing. All I know how to use on GIMP is the paint brush, paint can, and text, and that's my main problem. If I figure out more, I'll make another submission. :D
It's my problem too, Zamm. I can move boxes and change colours forever, but when it comes to actually making something that says "WOW! This looks awesome!" I'm... well, pretty much useless. Which is fine, I don't claim to be a graphic designer but... well, it doesn't help in getting the site overhaul done :D

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:27 pm

I quickly threw this together to try and give you guys an idea of the kind of thing I mean when I say simple, sleek and sexy.

Obviously, the graphics are stolen and quickly cobbled together, the logo and tagline are missing, and it needs quite a bit of work, but I'm hoping this will get everyone away from trying to reproduce the existing login page with slightly different colours, and give you some inspiration as to the kind of thing that's likely to make me go "WOW!"
loginpage.jpg
loginpage.jpg (107.42 KiB) Viewed 11687 times
Please don't take this, change the colour of stuff and send it back as your submission, just use it as a general idea, and take note of the elements - things like gears, aged brass, space, time, colour scheme etc. are win. Things like puppy dogs, cars, rockets etc. are not.

EDIT: Please remember that the page needs to be recreatable in HTML and needs to be able to resize to fit whatever screen size the user may have (from 1024x768 to.... ???) - that's really important. Stuff that's stuck to the top-left is fine... anything else that has to be positioned EXACTLY can be tricky/impossible to reproduce in HTML. Ok, very little is actually IMPOSSIBLE but really, really complicated is a massive turnoff for me.

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:01 am

:|

I like yours better than mine, lol.

heliosa10
Forum Addict

Unread post by heliosa10 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:44 am

Well.. I just had a idea. I'll be looking around for someone who can take my doodles and put them into a html friendly format when I'm done :P

alphah4x0r
Forum Poster

Unread post by alphah4x0r » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 am

Heres my idea for a the login design in 900x600 pixels, note that it does not show the complete image on certain monitors... It was all done in 3D so if color, position, rotation, etc... needs to be changed it takes about 30 seconds... I also am working on an html form.

Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3:

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:27 am

i like the clock from the third one and the login table from the first. anything in this theme for in-game yet? looks good thusfar.

-jB

trogdorable
Forum Addict

Unread post by trogdorable » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Third one is much easier to read on the clock face. Thanks for rendering that. I actually like the table on the second one, but it would need probably a bold light colored font.

alphah4x0r
Forum Poster

Unread post by alphah4x0r » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Just wanted to throw it out there, that I already submitted my ideas two posts up... and would be willing to help anyone else bring their ideas to life :)

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Any chance of seeing the pocket watch on its own? On a plain black background, with and without text?

alphah4x0r
Forum Poster

Unread post by alphah4x0r » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:33 am

Yep, there is a 110% chance, you can see them right below... but there not on a black background... I missed that part. you could always go into paint and do a background fill :P
Note: Im going to assume that you wanted the background as transparent. The image was rendered as transparent, but it was having upload issues as transparent which is why I changed it for upload.

No Text

With Text

Zammorak
Forum Addict

Unread post by Zammorak » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:44 pm

I spy an error in the image with text. The "ABOUT" goes over the back of the seconds hand, and the tip of the hours hand. Other than that it looks nice.

-Zammorak-

trogdorable
Forum Addict

Unread post by trogdorable » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 am

How is that an error? The text could be printed on the glass instead of on the face, you know.

Zammorak
Forum Addict

Unread post by Zammorak » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01 am

Ah, I've never encountered a pocket-watch with printing on the glass. It seems like it would obstruct the view of the watch a bit.

-Zammorak-

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Yeah I have to say I'm not a fan of the colour, style or location of the game name and tag line. The watch itself is coming along nicely, but could use a lot more detail and realism. It's a nice start, but I'd like to see more done with it.

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:12 am

I made a mock up back in March. I'll upload in a moment.

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:48 am

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:14 am

I like that a lot.

-jB

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 pm

I like everything except the clock. Maybe combine designs with alphah4xor?

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:58 am

lol, i like the colors and the look, but that kinda seems like the opposite of what gobb was looking for. Just another layout redesign basicly.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Nah mack, that's actually sort-of along the lines of what I was looking for, in that it's clean, slick and appealing, definitely less "boxy". It doesn't have tons of text, the elements seem to be placed quite nicely and the colours work well together.

There's still probably too much tiny text and it could use some tweaking, but it's the most attractive and professional-looking offering I've seen from anyone so far.

Of course, it's not finished yet, and I'd like to see it completed before passing judgement, but it's a good start.

Oh, and if anyone's thinking of making something TOTALLY different, that's fine too, just so long as it looks GOOD. I won't be replacing the login page just for the sake of it, so whatever the end result is has to be a marked improvement over what we have now.

Elusis
Forum Addict

Unread post by Elusis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:48 pm

I've been doing college apps lately and haven't had the time (or the effort) to really work on the redesign since March.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Here is mine: http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6408 ... loginp.png

I know the watch isn't good, but I couldn't find a better image.

Please comment.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 am

I personally don't like the color scheme or the placement of the copyright... The copyright has no assertive power to knowing what the game is or what it is about, thusly shouldn't be in the banner at all, even if it is just on the log-in page. As far as the color scheme goes, the grey/gray is fine cus it is kinda watchy/time-keeper looking, but the yellow is just blah... maybe go with a darker gold or off-white color... if that watch image were to stay, id say that maroon color would pull out nicely.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:14 am

Noted. I'll move the copyright. I am also going to put some gradients on it.

trogdorable
Forum Addict

Unread post by trogdorable » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:13 pm

I think it looks a little too busy. And it looks more than a little weird with just a random patch of starry sky in the middle.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:55 pm

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:27 am

yeah, the brown looks better, but the watch change looks like shit. lol. And i totally agree that the site could use some pretty imagery, but that space image is so random... Yeah, I get the Time and Space counter you may make... but i respond in advanced, NOOO! xD

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Ok, that design has promise, but it's still too cluttered and boxy. Thanks to all those who've sent in submissions, but I think we're just going to go with Elusis' entry, since that's the closest to what I had in mind. Working on it now... stay tuned for updates and an official announcement soon.