Current Development

Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Current Development

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:57 pm

OK, this will probably be quite lengthy but bear with me.

History

The idea for the game came about around June 2007 ish, basically with the intention of seeing how I'd go about making a Kingdom of Loathing-like, browser based MMORPG.

Over the ensuing year, I've been doing a lot of research and of course a ton of programming, with the intention to get the basic framework up and running.

A "Dev team" was established very quickly, which is basically a core group of people who have (to varying degrees) contributed ideas, feedback, bug testing and other bits and pieces.

I'd like to quickly take this opportunity to thank these people for their contributions, without which the game would probably not be where it is now. You know who you are :)

Since then, a number of other people have been invited to join the game and are playing it on a regular (or semi-regular) basis. Those people have been designated "Alpha Testers" and their numbers are growing, slowly but surely.

Current Status

At this stage there is a fairly solid framework in place and a limited amount of content.

There are some things that are important, but notably absent from the framework at the moment, such as:

- A trade system (one-to-one trades, player stores etc.)
- Multiple chat channels
- Documentation

Additionally, there are some things that work, but need improvement such as:

- Chat system (macros, multiple channels, tabbed interface, right-click menu, moderator system etc.)

Finally, there is the most important thing of all, CONTENT. After all, what good is a nice framework if there's nothing to actually DO. None at all really.

There are a couple of things you CAN do in game at the moment, but there's a LOT more to come and some interesting and (hopefully) entertaining ideas being thrown around the Dev Team.

Upcoming Development

I'd like to finish off the few bits of the framework that are missing/lacking, but above all I'd REALLY like to get moving with content, and I'm going to need help with that.

I'm in the process of setting things up to allow for a greater player base, and hopefully get something really good happening very very soon.

I'll try and update here when I get the chance/remember, but also keep your eye on the "Updates" on the logon page for little bits and pieces here and there as they happen.

OK guys, that's it for now, enjoy!
Last edited by Gobberwart on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm currently doing a lot of work on the chat system, as well as making sure all the various effects/propoerties work. You know, stuff like +damage, resistances, etc.

EDIT: I should expand on this a bit, to say that the chat system is undergoing a MASSIVE overhaul, to allow for multiple channels, a tabbed interface, more commands, moderators, emoticons, scrollback and other stuff. This is a HUGE thing that's had me spending several days "thinking" about and should give us a pretty good result. Hopefully.

EDIT: Development stalled on this for the time being as it's not as high priority as some other things.
Last edited by Gobberwart on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:47 pm

I've just finished implementing all the Christmas goodies, which has in turn ensured some other mechanics have been updated or created including combat items, additional effects, items with a limited number of uses per day etc.

Now back to what I was supposed to be doing before all this Christmassy stuff happened.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 pm

This thread is ridiculously out-of-date. A TON of work has been done since this was last updated, and a number of the issues identified in the original post regarding additional work have been addressed to greater or lesser degrees.

In addition, a lot of other stuff has been done, and we're rapidly approaching the stage where we can start allowing people to sign up for better or worse (til death do us part).

Anyway, I'll update the OP as soon as I get a chance, but rest assured a LOT has been happening since December 2007.

For those who are interested, I'm currently working through all outstanding issues that MUST be resolved before we can start letting people sign up, and I'd like to have that done ASAP.

Unfortunately, that does mean some of the "nice to have" things are going to be postponed, but should mean that all the "need to have" things will be finalised pretty quickly.

I'm working as quickly as I can from a list of approximately 20 things of varying degrees of complexity, so I'd better get back to it.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:44 pm

It's looking very much like development has progressed about as far as it's going to without involving more people. Over the next few days I will be working towards finalising a handful of things in preparation for enabling user registration and giving a limited number (500 or so?) people a chance to check out the game, and become involved in its ongoing development.

At this stage I haven't worked out whether or not this will necessitate a reset of any kind. Probably not, but current players please be aware that a reset (partial or full) MAY be required. I will make sure I give you notice if this happens, along with details of what will and won't be reset and when.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:08 pm

OP Updated.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Current Development

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:25 pm

For those who don't have access to the dev forums, you'll be pleased to know that we're well on track for public alpha by the end of the month. This month. August. This year.

A few weeks ago I posted a list of things to do before opening up the registration page, and if anything we're actually ahead of schedule on most of it. Almost all the "must-do" tasks are complete, with the exception of content (which is an ongoing effort) and we're moving towards working on the "nice-to-have" tasks, and probably even some extra stuff provided nothing goes wrong. Famous last words I know.

You'll also be pleased to hear that I very much doubt there's going to be any kind of major reset involved. To be honest, I don't see the point at this stage.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do plan to have some kind of rewardy-type affair for those who have an account when we go public. I don't know what it is yet, but it will be something and it will be unique and never-to-be-repeated so, um, stay tuned.