Server Change This Weekend

Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Server Change This Weekend

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

As a result of the ongoing server load issues which have been particularly bad the last week or so, I've decided to move the game to a new, dedicated server that I've been testing over the past few weeks. The new server isn't as high-specced as our current one, but we're also not sharing it with other people, so overall it should be significantly better, and we'll be able to upgrade quickly as and when we need to.

I'm planning to do this on Saturday morning, Melbourne time, so that's Friday night for most users, starting at around 9am (1:30PM Game time).

To make sure no data is lost during the change, I'll be putting the site into Maintenance mode at the old location. I will then copy everything across to the new server, test it thoroughly, and then make changes to DNS to point www.paradoxthemusical.com to the correct server. Hopefully this won't take more than an hour, and the game will be back up at the new location.

That said, it MAY take some time (potentially several hours) for DNS changes to fully take place throughout the internet, during which time you'll be taken to the old site which will still appear to be in maintenance mode. There's nothing anyone can do to speed that up, unfortunately, but hopefully it won't take too long.

I plan to post updates here as we progress, so stay tuned.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Server Change This Weekend

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri May 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Everything seems to be ready so I'll be putting the game into maintenance mode in a minute and migrating to the new server. I'll keep you updated here.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri May 21, 2010 1:53 pm

So far so good. Files and data migrated ok, time for some testing.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 pm

All seems well, except for one little thing - the X-D Specs aren't working properly. Yes, it's a minor thing and we could live without it for now, but since it needs to be done at some point, I may as well sort it out now. Hopefully it won't take long.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 pm

When a particular component, such as ImageMagick, is required, I generally find it useful to have actually installed it. Heh, fixed. Finalising testing now!

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri May 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Right then, everything seems to be OK and I'm bringing the new server out of maintenance mode. This is where the potential wait begins while DNS gets updated around the world. At this point, one of two things will be happening:

1. You'll be able to log on and play the game as normal.

If this happens, joy! Your DNS is up-to-date and everything's ready to go.

2. You'll see the "Maintenance" screen.

If this happens, your DNS is NOT up to date. Please wait half an hour or so and try again. Trust me, it WILL work eventually.

----

Note: Frankly, this all seemed way too easy and I'm half-expecting something to go spectacularly wrong. Please report any bugs to me asap, through the "Report A Bug" link if possible, otherwise through the forums (reply to this post if you have access, otherwise post in the Bug Reports forum).

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat May 22, 2010 8:20 pm

I realised quite late that some people are using "www.paradoxthemusical.net" and "paradoxthemusical.com" (without the www) to log in, but that's updated now too so hopefully everyone's seeing the login page instead of the maintenance page now.

If you're not, please let me know.