Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Beta Announcement

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since there's been any useful information from me as far as Paradox development goes, and there are a few reasons for that. Basically, there hasn't BEEN any development, so there's been nothing to tell you. With Christmas rapidly approaching, however, the time for speculation draws rapidly nigh, and I thought I'd post an update to... well, not to keep people happy so much as to just make sure we're all on the same page and to make sure nobody's expecting things that may or may not happen.

So, where are we at? Well, we're miles behind schedule, in short. We had hoped to hit Beta by the end of July, but somewhere we fell of the rails and we just never got back on them again. When we didn't hit the July mark, that's when I lost the plot and I buried my head in the sand, covered my ears and said "Bon Jovi Bon Jovi Bon Jovi" and... yes, basically stopped paying attention to the game. I dropped out of chat (because I got sick of everyone asking me when Beta was coming), I stopped responding to forums, I stopped doing everything pretty much.

I had to. Sorry, that's how it is. I had to do it for my own sanity. Remember, I started this game for my own fun, and when it wasn't fun any more... when it was downright miserable for me and I wanted to cry every time I logged on because of what was happening... well, I had to walk away for a while and hope the game would live without me while I was gone.

Unfortunately, I'm the guy who completely and totally drives all the development of this game, so when I stop... everything stops. That's just how it is.

Absorb that. Curse me out if you want. Get it out of your system. It may not be the last time.

Fast forward four months and the situation is thus:

My migraines are now mostly under control thanks to medication.
My job is under control.
My life is, mostly, stress-free and cruisy.
Things are looking swell.
Paradox still isn't at Beta stage.

Now, I really really have been starting to think again about Paradox, and getting that elusive Beta thing finished. There's really not THAT much left to do to be honest. Although it looks like a lot from your end of things, a lot's done on the dev side so far and there's... well, a month's HARD work would probably do it. Maybe two.

Whatever, it needs me to be focused, and I need help from a few people. Some I can count on. Some I'm really not sure, but I'd like to hope so. I'd like to start that in January, and I'd like it done as soon as possible so we can all move forward and just get on with it again. Once it's done, then I can relax, get back into chat and really get back to making this the game it was always meant to be - ie. something I can be proud of, have fun with, and just enjoy the hell out of. You know, like I used to a couple of years ago.

Sound good? Great, I hope you can bear with me a little longer.

Peace Out,
Gobb

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Re: Beta Announcement

Unread post by sodafett » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Glad to see you back, boss. Yes, things have been rough, and honestly, you have the hardest job here, being the boss. You needed a break, and I am glad that you are feeling better and the migraines are better.

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 pm

I really appreciate this post Gobb and I'm behind you 437%. Thanks for doing everything you do.
-Coda

Rakkasan
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Rakkasan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Miss you man! Thanks for all the hard work on Paradox. I love the game and the community, you've got my support. :D

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:53 am

You can count on me. It's been hard to stick with Paradox through all this Spain business (I have to learn 2 languages), but just ask when you need help.

Spiff
Wikinatrix

Unread post by Spiff » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Im here to help. Just name it and itll be done. Lah ya gobber
The Spiff

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:11 am

Just so you know, all that stuff you said about needing to walk away for a while, I totally guessed that's what you were doing. (Do I win a prize?!) I can see how trying to code and debug an entire online game whilst still trying to maintain your sanity in real life and all that comes with it could cause one to have a complete mental and physical breakdown.

Your personal well being should take precedence over any and all other events that are going on in your life. You've gotta take care of yourself FIRST before anything else.

Take all the time that you need. Know that we'll all be here with full support and assistance when you're ready. If you ever need absolutely anything, you know you can count on all of us to help. We're here for you 1000% (well, except R2, who's only in it for 437%...)

Welcome back, Gobb.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Right2Wrong2000
Chat Moderator

Unread post by Right2Wrong2000 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:30 pm

437% is capacity for me, thank you! Sheesh!
-Coda

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Unread post by SportGuy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm glad to see you're getting better Gob...I know I see you around more on the FB and stuff then here...but that's where I am right now. :D I hope the game continues to go as well as you desire it to.

Your friend always,

S.G.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Facebook is good escapism for me right now, because it's mindless crap I can indulge in for five minutes at a time, usually on my phone. Something I just can't do with Paradox.

Besides, it's not like I play with any of the FB games or apps or anything - I just spend all my time making smartass comments. Situation normal, then :)

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:45 am

Gobberwart wrote:Facebook is good escapism for me right now, because it's mindless crap I can indulge in for five minutes at a time, usually on my phone. Something I just can't do with Paradox.
Does this mean we may see a mobile version of Paradox at some point in the future?
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:11 pm

oh gawd.

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:15 am

heh

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Grrrr, OK the last month or so has NOT gone as planned either. Not even CLOSE. Don't worry, nobody died or anything, at least not as far as I know, it's just that... well, I'm sure many of you have heard various rumours in different places about stuff. And some other things. This isn't the place to confirm or deny those rumours, but let me just say that some things may or may not, in fact, be true, while others are complete and total horseshit. Depending on who you ask.

Regardless, I haven't forgotted you guys and girls for a minute. Well, maybe for a minute. Possibly ten.

Regardlessly regardless, I'm still vaguely optimistic of having some sort of news-type affair soon, and when I do, I'll let you know asap.

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:26 am

An affair with a newscaster??!!?? Gobb!!! Why wasn't I invited? :lol:

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 am

I havn't died..... :D

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 am

of course you haven't too busy with the reincarnation chamber. :P

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm happy to report that, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
See you all in chat.

Grok

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 pm

bet your ASS Grokkles!! :lol:

* Does the Grok Rock!! :mrgreen:

Blaize
Forum Addict

Unread post by Blaize » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:57 pm