Placable Platypus - Damage control

Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Placable Platypus - Damage control

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Since discovering a serious flaw in the code for the Placable Platypus a week or two ago, I've spent some time going through the database and discovered that the flaw caused a MASSIVE imbalance in the drop rates of certain items which, in turn, has created an oversupply of some things and which is likely to cause problems moving towards beta. It's a shame, but these things happen. We are (still) in alpha testing after all.

Now, I *could* simply go and do some fancy database editing to just remove the problem items but... well, that wouldn't be much fun would it? Instead, we've written some new content and put in place something which we hope will address the problem in a way which will be fair to everyone and at the same time give you, the players, something pretty to look at.

I won't go into too much detail here (spoilers!), but please be aware that a significant game mechanic change is about to take place and that it is NOT negotiable. It's a necessary change and will be for the good of everyone in the long run. Really.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Placable Platypus - Damage control

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 pm

UPDATE: It looks like the code is ready to go into production tonight. If there are any major problems, please report a bug.

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 am

Gob I can't believe this. How can you fix a bug with something so random. I know this may seem fair but its not. I lost my golden chick, the iron toque I just bought, 2 tokens and not to mention the artery hardeners that I made for like four days straight (over 200 AHs).

I think this is a little bit extreme and that you being swamped in beta code has clouded your judgment or has restricted your time so much that you could only come up with a plan like this cause you were pressed for time.

unknownZ
Chat Moderator

Unread post by unknownZ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 am

I just lost my cat's pajama pants and now losing 2 items per steal! I didn't even get many chaun items!

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 am

Sent 2 texts to Gobb

Just keep a list of whats been taken and send it to him :roll:

* Ragazi, please just report bugs....... DONT make personal comments thank you :|

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 am

I lost my 3 pirate eggs?! WTF GOBB

s1944
Forum Noob

Unread post by s1944 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 am

Ummmm . . . . has it occurred to you what the date is? And what often happens on this date every year?
Just sayin' . . . .

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 am

Yes it occurred to me what date it is....

That doesn't change the fact that my items are missing from my inventory. I looked and they are gone.
I really hope this is some sort of sick joke because I lost some very valuable items as you can see in my above post.

I want them back....
Last edited by Ragazi on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:42 am

I am really upset right now. My Hug-O-Matic Bubble is missing. What the heck happened? Not a happy Jazzy right now.

Lady_Luck
Forum Noob

Unread post by Lady_Luck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 am

Oh no. No more Hugs? That makes me sad. What saddens me more is that the stuff I have stockpiled to give away to lucky players has all been stolen. :( Gobberwart how could you! :(

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 am

Um, none of this even makes logical sense. even for an April Fool's Joke. Why would Gobb "fix" an item drop issue by removing items out of people's Inventories that don't actually drop (ie. Hug O Matic Bubble, Iron Torques, Tokens, Artery hardeners, etc.) thus couldn't possibly be part of the alleged platypus drop rate imbalance? Answer: He wouldn't.

I'm just sad that I can't seem to find any new content, nor anything pretty to look at. Drat.

~Aramada

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Aramada wrote:Um, none of this even makes logical sense. even for an April Fool's Joke. Why would Gobb "fix" an item drop issue by removing items out of people's Inventories that don't actually drop (ie. Hug O Matic Bubble, Iron Torques, Tokens, Artery hardeners, etc.) thus couldn't possibly be part of the alleged platypus drop rate imbalance? Answer: He wouldn't.

I'm just sad that I can't seem to find any new content, nor anything pretty to look at. Drat.

~Aramada
You're right, it doesn't make sense, and that wasn't the intention. Gobb and I discussed the mechanics of this item sink in detail. Items which do not drop in game were never intended to be part of this sink. He's obviously made a mistake somewhere, and I've been trying to get in contact with him since intermission to fix it but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet. I've sent him several texts and tried calling him but so far no response.

In the meantime, I would suggest placing any items you don't want to risk losing in your stash or your case.

I'll post again once I learn something new.

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Screams April Fool's to me.

Still sad about not finding new content or pretty things to look at.

Mmmmm pretty things....

~Aramada

Fizzbin
Forum Addict

Unread post by Fizzbin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey, I never had a platypus! I still lost a set of Cat's Pajama Pants! :evil:
Error: This signature no verb.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 pm

WHAT THE FUCK, GOBB!!!!!! I DON'T EVEN HAVE A GODDAMN PLATYPUS AND I LOST MY ALPHA BAG AND BULGING RED SACK FROM MY SHOWCASE!!!!!! I HAD BETTER GET THAT SHIT BACK.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm

This is obviously the work of a script to fix things gone wrong, he put the THINGS THAT DROP=True when it should be false and THINGS THAT DON'T DROP=False when it should be true. Apparently if Gobb learns anything from this, it should be he shouldn't drink and code again. Let's pray for fixes.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Drink and code? Never. Alright sometimes, but not this time. In this case, it's working EXACTLY as intended. I said it wasn't negotiable and it's not. Suck it up, people.

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:11 pm

I can understand the part where the items taken were not dropped, my "former" iron toque for example I was able to purchase recently due to the unbalanced drop rate the platypus gave me. So in a sense that I guess would be an ill gotten gain from the bad drop rate.

But still there could have been a better solution to this than that. I do believe I have lost some faith in those that write content and code for this game. I am greatly disappointed!

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm

You really should learn to stash things you're not using. Seriously, if you're going to wander around with things in your backpack, you pretty much deserve to get them stolen. Not my problem.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Swiper no swiping. >.>

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks Dora

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Gobber wrote:
"You really should learn to stash things you're not using. Seriously, if you're going to wander around with things in your backpack, you pretty much deserve to get them stolen. Not my problem."

Except there was a report by Jupider of things being yoinked from his Showcase, which is very much not his backpack.

Gotta keep your joke consistent damn it. If you want everyone to believe that you pulled a dick move and grabbed a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the problem you claimed you were fixing, you've got to at least be consistent about the story you are telling.

Whippersnappers.

~Aramada

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Gobb never acknowledged that, I mean, it is April Fool's, clearly Jupider was pulling a joke, but the problem is serious and he shouldn't have done that.

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh definitely serious.

Gobber says "In this case, it's working EXACTLY as intended. I said it wasn't negotiable and it's not. Suck it up, people."

Grokly says "You're right, it doesn't make sense, and that wasn't the intention. Gobb and I discussed the mechanics of this item sink in detail. Items which do not drop in game were never intended to be part of this sink. He's obviously made a mistake somewhere,"

One of these things is not like the oooooother. One of these things just isn't the same. One of these things is not like the oooooooother. Now it's time to play our game. It's time to play our game.

~Aramada

Ragazi
Forum Addict

Unread post by Ragazi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Ah now I see. You did this under the cover of April Fools. Thinking that the tom foolery of the day would lull us into negligence. Which I am partly mad at myself for...but that still doesn't change my stance..I want my stuff back.

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Aramada wrote:Oh definitely serious.

Gobber says "In this case, it's working EXACTLY as intended. I said it wasn't negotiable and it's not. Suck it up, people."

Grokly says "You're right, it doesn't make sense, and that wasn't the intention. Gobb and I discussed the mechanics of this item sink in detail. Items which do not drop in game were never intended to be part of this sink. He's obviously made a mistake somewhere,"

One of these things is not like the oooooother. One of these things just isn't the same. One of these things is not like the oooooooother. Now it's time to play our game. It's time to play our game.

~Aramada
For everyone's edification, members of the Dev Team don't always agree on implementation. I thought we had arrived at a mechanic that would do what we wanted... sink items that are accumulating in vast numbers. I don't necessarily agree with how it was finally implemented. That doesn't change the fact that it IS how it was implemented. I guess we'll have to deal with that. Each in our own way.

I can tell you this. Unless there's been a major screw-up, NOTHING in your case or stash should be getting removed.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Sorry yes, it's working exactly as **I** intended... Apparently Grok and I weren't *quite* on the same page. We'll discuss that later. Now, actually. Dev chat time.

Ragazi... chill out, man. It's just stuff.

Aramada
Forum Regular

Unread post by Aramada » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Grokly wrote:
"I thought we had arrived at a mechanic that would do what we wanted... sink items that are accumulating in vast numbers. "

::nods solemnly:: Accumulating in vast numbers, like limited edition Token items, Tokens, food items that have to be made largely using things that don't drop, limited edition one day only presents (pirate eggs, alpha sacks) and a unique item that is singular in the City (the Hug A Matic Bubble)....Man, I don't know how the database could keep up with the masses of those finite items growing....finitely. And counting up to 1? Brutal.

April Fool's is serious business. Seriously illogical baby!

~Aramada

McFeisty
Chat Moderator

Unread post by McFeisty » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Hmm, I seem to be missing an Iron Toque.

I don't have a Platypus. I sure hope this is a joke, and will be rectified. :|

JazzyCat
Forum Moderator

Unread post by JazzyCat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:13 pm

I really do not mind the little odds and ends that I have lost throughout my turns (handfuls of rice, tiny daggers, spores). However, if I could at least get my Hug Bubble back, that would be great. Luckily I do have some stockpiled to carry me through for a short while so I can continue to send out hugs to Paracites.

Please consider making an exception to the "NOT negotiable" part.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am

Er... April Fool anyone? This entire thing has been nothing but complete bollocks from start to finish and the time has come to bring it to a close.

Thanks go to those who were involved in the gag, especially to Ragazi who not only played the part of outraged Paracite incredibly well, but did so after writing a fair chunk of the content that went into it so... yeah, well done Ragazi. Great job :)

Also nice work everyone else who knew damn well that it was complete crap but played along anyway. This is the kind of stuff that makes the dev team laugh and keeps us wanting to write stuff. You guys rock :)

And one last thing... will we be returning the items that were taken? No! Absolutely not! Why? Because nothing ever got taken. I'm pretty sure almost everyone already knew that, but just in case... go check your inventory and you'll see that everything you had is still right there.

Happy April Fool's :)

Grokly
Forum Addict

Unread post by Grokly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 am

I completely echo Gobb's sentiments. It really blew me away how so many of you propagated the whole gag. You guys do ROCK!

Now, Gobb... about those mechanics...

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 am

You like them greasy?

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:10 am

Can I have fries with that shake?

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Shake was last year wasn't it? :D

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 pm

yeah... which reminds me, the cord is coming out the wrong end of the mouse in last years sticker... Idk if that was on purpose. :P

sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:07 am

A lot to like about the group effort........

Its good to be corn-fed :wink:

Thanks for the giggles and ham team~! :D

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:30 pm

OH so much ham! Glad I'm not Jewish or I'd be losing my mind right about now.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:56 am

You guys and your silly April Fools jokes. I thought my "taking from the showcase" comment would stir things up a bit more. Looks like it sorta did. Good show, guys... Now I gotta put my stuff back in my showcase...

Wait a second... WHERE'D MY STUFF GO!?!?!?
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:55 pm

I ated it.