Server Problems

Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Server Problems

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Well, despite outlaying a fairly sizable chunk of cash for more reliable hosting, it seems once again we're the unwitting victims of poor hosting.

Approximately 2 hours ago, the site basically stopped responding, and has not properly come back up. I've checked everything I can possibly check, but CPU and Memory usage are both well within acceptable parameters, and now we're at the mercy of the hosting provider's support department, with whom I have logged a ticket. Time to play the waiting game *sigh*.

Sorry guys, I want to have this resolved as soon as possible, probably more so than you do, but it's out of my hands right now. I'll let you know as soon as anything changes.

UPDATE: After about two hours the problem went away. 2 hours later I received a response from the hosting company to tell me that they'd noticed a slowdown on the server, fixed it and were monitoring the situation. At least my extra cash buys me a better response than "check your code".

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Re: Server Problems

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Nope, at exactly the same time as it's happened the last couple of days, the server became incredibly unresponsive again.

Rather than post here about it at length, I've decided to attempt to draw the hosting company out in public. See my post on webhostingtalk.com below.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea ... ost5283088

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Seriously, this is getting quite entertaining now. Rest assured I will find the money SOMEHOW to pay for better hosting if we have to, but I'd really like to see where this goes.

Please view the thread mentioned in the previous post if you would like to follow the development.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:32 am

Awww, apparently it doesn't pay to antagonise forum mods, they tend to lock your threads. Such a shame, I was hoping to report back tomorrow with an outcome, one way or another. Anyway, at this stage I'm told by both "Harry" and "Cirtex Admin" (whoever that is) that the problem has probably been fixed, except they're not sure what it is, so they'll monitor it for a while and let me know. Yes, there's a contradiction there, but let's wait and see what happens tomorrow.