Reset is here!

Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Reset is here!

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:02 pm

No, calm down, it's nothing like that. Really. Get your breathing under control and keep reading.

As of today, it is now possible for players who have completed all the available quests to "reset". Essentially, that means you start a brand new life in the game, and get to do everything over again. Narratively, this is a complete non-event, since it's not meant to be part of the story, just part of Alpha testing. Don't waste any time thinking about why you can reset, just accept that you can.

We've implemented this functionality for two reasons:

1. It gives you all something to do apart from blindly levelling/acquiring stuff while you wait for more content; and
2. It gives you the opportunity to take a second (or third, fourth, whatever) look at all the early stuff and let us know about any bugs/typos/confusing elements you may not have noticed on your first run through.

It's important to note that we'd REALLY like to see players experiment with this, which means trying different ways of going about things and generally trying a whole bunch of stuff out.

Here are some FAQs regarding the reset process:

Q: How do I reset?
A: Go to your Account menu, click Reset, read the information displayed, then check the box and click a button. That's all there is to it.

Q: When can I reset?
A: Reset is available to all players who have completed all currently available storyline quests.

Q: So, what will happen?
A: Basically, all your equipped equipment and installed devices will be moved to your backpack, your character will be reset to level 1, all your proficiences will go back to defaults, and all tasks will be reset. Everything else stays the same for now, however we are definitely looking at some more creative options in the near future, involving things like restrictions to your access to items etc.

Q: Wait, my character gets reset to level 1?
A: Yes, but we keep complete records of all your previous achievements, so nothing you've done so far will be forgotten.

Q: Ok, will I lose anything?
A: Apart from a handful of special items, that aren't storable or tradeable anyway, absolutely not. All your historical data, leaderboards, items, mail etc. will stay exactly as they are.

Q: Will I be able to access all my stuff after I reset?
A: For now, yes. We're thinking about creative ways to change this though, so you can expect it to change at some stage. For now, you can just requip/install whatever you like, whenever you like.

Q: Are there any leaderboards/other benefits for this?
Some, yes, and more to come.

Q: If I reset, can I change my mind?
A: No. If you're not absolutely sure you want to do this, then don't do it. Talk to people in chat if you'd like further information.

Q: OK, when I reset, I noticed XYZ thing that I hadn't noticed before, and think it should be changed. What do I do?
A: The best thing to do is to post it in the suggestions forum. That way it's recorded, and other players have an opportunity to comment as well (and we don't get multiple people suggesting the same thing separately.